BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25187 - 02/27/03 10:33 PM Bleeding thumb
Biggblunt Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24/male/Reading
If anyone can Help. I just got a new ball, Columbia 300 Wicked Flipside. Got inserts in the fingers but not in the thumb. Went to the lanes for the first time with it and came home with bleeding blisters on both sides of my knuckle of my thumb. I'm right handed. I think that it was drilled with a conventional grip but i don't think that it's right for me. The Pro Shop seemed to know their stuff, but maybe i should have asked more questions. Some say tape for fixing the problem, others say its a pitch thing. what should i do?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#25188 - 02/28/03 12:28 AM Re: Bleeding thumb
Big Game Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 41 male north carolina
Hey Biggblunt
If the ball has finger inserts, then it must be
drilled fingertip, it sounds like the thumb hole
maybe to small. I know for myself that the resin
ball has a tacky fill to it so I use a thumb
insert for a better fill. Talk to the Pro Shop
guys and show them the blisters, and see about a
thumb insert. good luck thumbsup

#25189 - 02/28/03 07:51 AM Re: Bleeding thumb
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
Greetings Bigblunt!

Being as you said that both sides are blistered,
you probably have a thumbhole that's a little tight, or the hole may need to be smoothed out a little better. You might also have a "Flat" thumb, and just need to get the thumb hole ovaled out. Most people don't have a "round" thumb, but it's actually oval shaped. I definitely would get a thumb slug/insert of some sort. They allow for a "cleaner" release, and smoother hole. It may be just the ticket. Had it been just one side or the other, it could possibly be a pitch issue.

(Hey Biggame, FYI you can get finger inserts for a conventional grip, though they aren't used all that often.) wink

Tom

#25190 - 02/28/03 11:15 PM Re: Bleeding thumb
Biggblunt Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24/male/Reading
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them. I'll have to look into a thumb insert. But i also wanted to know if it had anything to do with the pitch at which the thumb hole was drilled compared to the finger holes. When i hold my hand out it seems that my thumb actually is a little bit to the left of my fingers when i hold my hand out. Is that the same for everyone or do you think that i should get the Pro Shop to take a look at that.

#25191 - 03/01/03 12:17 PM Re: Bleeding thumb
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
You may want to get your shop operator to take a look at it. There is some discussion about the "offset thumb". Some think it works and others look at it as only an optical illusion. I've drilled offset thumbs, and the peole I've done it for have been very happy. Once again, have the operator take a look, and don't be afraid to get second, or even third opinions. They should be able to get you squared away with the proper fit and function of equipment for your game.

Tom

#25192 - 03/12/03 12:05 PM Re: Bleeding thumb
pinqueen2000 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Johnson City TN
The guys covered the technical end of your question wonderfully as usual. My two cents may help. I found that I was allergic to the inner material and it dried my thumb out and made it bleed. An insert corrected the problem. Good luck and good bowling....Lyn smile

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.