BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25160 - 03/01/05 07:19 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
CCbowler05 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 17 m michigan
I have been bowling for over 7 years but just last year swiched to relaxed grip which shot my average from 140 to 205 in less than 3 weeks. My question is is it wrong that I squeeze with my thumb until the point just before I release the ball then I relax my thumb. Its working fine for me now but would my average go up if I switched to relaxed all the way through?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#25161 - 03/02/05 09:29 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Micky James Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 63/m/Baker, La
CCbowler05, you should use relaxed grip throughout swing. If you do this that is one less thing you have to think about as you throw the ball. You may have to use tape in the thumb hole to get the release point that you want. Ideally you would throw the ball with one thing on your mind, that is keep my eye on the target!

#25162 - 03/02/05 12:49 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
I agree with Micky!

I've always used tape in my thumb hole as necessary, but I have "fine-tuned" the thumbhole recently. I've been using the white textured tape on the front of the thumbhole, I've started additionally using the black smooth tape on the back of the thumbhole to get a snugger fit.

Adding the black smooth tape for a snugger fit has increased my confidence in my grip; I'm then able to focus more on releasing the ball at my target! This obviously will pay off with a higher average in relation to the prevalent lane conditions!

The white textured tape can be thought of as a roughly close fit tape and the black smooth tape as fine-tuning tape. It may take a little more time to apply, but we're all after results; creating a better-fitting thumbhole will get results!

Dave

#25163 - 04/05/05 05:34 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
budvangogh Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 48/M/Texas
Man, Great advice is ALL OVER this thread!!--I will add that its my experience that thumb size varies DAILY--One of the things i do(if the thumb is tight is put thumb in hole and hold it there for several seconds,remove--Repeat a few times and the thumb will start to feel right--I agree with all about a slightly large thumbhole is best--Have a Pro Shop watch you and check the pitch--if you are sqeezing it, reverse pitch could be the culprit...Also, dont be afraid to work on the bevel around the thumbhole; very minor work can dramaticly increase feel... thumbsup

#25164 - 04/05/05 04:06 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Rikki MC Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: F/Sunnyvale, CA
Has anyone else seen or used the " Bowling Thumb Carpet"? I saw it advertised in our local Bowling World newspaper.

I ordered a set and discovered that they were basically the loop part of velcro that goes where you would put the black tape.

Figured, what the heck and tried it in my ball. For me, it gives me a snug feeling that I feel like I've stopped squeezing the ball. I can still make adjustments by adding the white textured tape, if the thumb hole starts feeling too loose.

#25165 - 04/05/05 04:27 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Buck Rabbit Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 51/M/Portland OR/LH
Rikki, did you experience the redness on your thumb they warned about the first few times you use it? If so how soon did that redness go away?

I have wanted to try this product but hoped someone from here would be the test pilot, as I am fond of the skin on my own thumb and don't wish to part with any of it.

#25166 - 04/06/05 12:40 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Headshot Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 53/M/Northern KY/Right-handed
I have used Ron C's Magic Carpet; I never had any redness. I think it's a very good product. thumbsup

#25167 - 04/06/05 03:31 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Buck Rabbit Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 51/M/Portland OR/LH
Thanks Headshot! You said "used" in the past tense. Any reason you are not using it now?

#25168 - 04/06/05 06:41 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Headshot Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 53/M/Northern KY/Right-handed
I started converting my equipment to thumb slugs, I still have 2 balls with the Magic Carpet. Nothing at all wrong with the Magic Carpet, I just wanted to go to slugs. thumbsup

#25169 - 04/07/05 11:05 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Rikki MC Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: F/Sunnyvale, CA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Buck Rabbit:
Rikki, did you experience the redness on your thumb they warned about the first few times you use it? If so how soon did that redness go away?

I have wanted to try this product but hoped someone from here would be the test pilot, as I am fond of the skin on my own thumb and don't wish to part with any of it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">No, I didn't have any redness on my thumb. But I also use a piece of Perfect Patch on the back of my thumb.

A couple of years ago, I started coming out of my ball in such a way that I kept tearing the skin on the back of my thumb. Started using the Perfect Patch on the back of my thumb and that solved the problem.

Unfortunately, it seems that Ebonite may have phased out the Perfect Patch. I've had to order it from on-line stores.

I have tried the other newer finger tape, but it doesn't hold up as well. Despite the claims that it is sweat proof, I seem to be able to sweat it right off pretty quickly. frown

I use the Magic Carpet with my thumb slugs and feel like I am getting a better release. Gives me a nice snug feeling with some cush. thumbsup

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 07/05/20 10:18 PM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.