BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25140 - 02/27/03 01:25 AM thumb hole...too big?
JLochner Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/MI
i just bought my first ball and had the Pro Shop measure and drill my ball. after they finished, they had me slide my fingers in and out...the thumb seemed small so the made it larger.

but i think it might be too big?

i can feel a callous forming on the inside/bottom portion of my thumb. and i read somewhere that you should be able to lift the ball with out squeezing...well, i don't understand how one could possibly pick up the ball without squeezing unless you glued the ball to your finger!

i also read that the thumb should be straight, and even to have the nail pressing up against the surface in the hole. well, again, i don't understand how you could possibly pick up the ball like that!

how do you know if the thumb hole is too big?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#25141 - 02/27/03 01:41 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
If the callous that's forming is where the thumb meets the palm area, that's a good thing. As far as picking up the ball with only the thumb, you would have to **** the thumb a bit to accomplish this. As far as the thumb being too big, it's a matter of personal taste. Some people like a very snug thumb, and they are able to relax the thumb completely, and the ball will fall off the thumb at release. Others (myself included) prefer the thumb hole to be a little large, and make up the difference with tape. That way if my thumb swells, I can just remove some of the tape, and continue on. If my thumb shrinks, a little more tape, and the hole feels fine.

Tom

#25142 - 02/27/03 01:50 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
JLochner Offline
Bumper Bowler

the callous that's forming is right on the first joint/knuckle of the thumb...the inside/bottom edge of it. is that bad?

#25143 - 02/27/03 07:20 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Big Game Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 41 male north carolina
a callous on the inside of the thumb could mean
that the thumb hole is pitched to far under the
palm of your hand, or if the thumb hole is to big
you may be gripping the ball to hard. if the ball
dose not fall off your thumb early during delivery
than the hole may be ok, it may just be a little
off on the drilling. i have always had to squeeze
the ball just a little bit to keep from droping it
on my foot, but during delivery the ball should
stay on your hand without a early release. you may
want the Pro Shop to look at the callous and see
if there is a problem there. if the ball is drilled fingertip make sure that you put your
fingers in first and then the thumb this will
assure proper alignment. thumbsup

#25144 - 02/27/03 08:42 PM Re: thumb hole...too big?
wansum Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 42/m/MI
I too, prefer a little larger thumbhole and adjust with tape. My thumb seems to vary week to week so it helps to get the right "feel". I just use the smooth black electrical tape on the backside of the thumbhole. Cheap and effective.

#25145 - 02/28/03 12:06 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
JLochner Offline
Bumper Bowler

went out bowling tonight to test the new ball again...my first very own ball...

somethings definately wrong. the inside knuckle of my thumb is pretty sore and tender...and a callous will definately form if i continue.

i don't think the hole is too big, because the house balls i used had larger thumb holes and i never had this problem. i doubt the hole is too small, because my thumb slides in and out of it pretty easy. i don't think i'm squeezing the ball.

this may sound like a stupid question, but how do know if you're squeezing the ball?

what else could be causing my sore thumb? again, this never happened with a house ball. should i take it back to the Pro Shop?

#25146 - 02/28/03 07:02 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Jlochner,

Well, I don't know if you're going to like this answer...

The most common indication of squeezing the ball is a callous just below the crease of your thumb, or in the case of a large thumb hole...on the pad of the thumb.

When we first decide to try the sport of bowling, whether we are nine years old or an adult, we begin our experience with a house ball. The only way to hang on to a house ball is to squeeze it. The longer you bowl with a house ball, the more your muscle memory engrains the squeezing action into your delivery.

I've found that bowlers switching from a conventional grip (the grip used in house balls) normally require a transition into a finger tip grip. At first, the bowler needs to experience the change in delivery that allows the thumb to clear and the fingers to impart rotations. But they still squeeze the ball because they think they need to. Working with the Pro Shop operator, the bowler needs to concentrate on releasing tension from the hand. I say that they need to work with the Pro Shop operator because it is likely that the ball will begin to fall off early and require a pitch or span adjustment. It may just require tape.

I tell my clients that if they are going to squeeze the ball, do it at the top of the backswing, then release the grip as the ball travels forward in the swing. Centrifugal force will keep the ball in the palm of the hand until near the bottom of the swing at which time gravity will take over, pull the ball off of the thumb and the rotations are imparted by the fingers.

The exception...the grip-it-and-rip-it crankers. They have the 'squeeze-release' timing down so it occurs at the bottom of the swing in milliseconds.

Nothing wrong with that, it just takes a long time to master.

Hope this helps...

#25147 - 02/28/03 07:34 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

One other thing I'd like to ask, and I'm sorry if it sounds stupid, but are you putting your thumb in the ball all the way, or are you just putting it in to the first knuckle? I've seen people do this, and that could also lead to the callous forming there.

Tom

#25148 - 02/28/03 08:10 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
JLochner Offline
Bumper Bowler

i'm putting my thumb all the way in....

my callous is forming not just below the crease of the the thumb but right smack dab ON the crease of the thumb...but not really...because it's not forming flush to the bottom...sort of to the side (the inside edge)...

so it's still probably squeezing though, huh? hmm...so how do i break this habit? any tips?

wow...bowling is sorta hard! lol

#25149 - 02/28/03 08:22 AM Re: thumb hole...too big?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

One thing you might try is to grip the ball with the top of the thimb. The area where the thumb meets the palm. You can also try bending the thumb almost "backwards", with pressure with the thumbnail to the back of the thumb hole. The major use for the thumb in a bowling ball is for balance. Most of the gripping is done with the fingers. Just relax the thumb and you should be alright.

Tom

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:52 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:58 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.