BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173057 - 11/15/12 11:51 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: Doogie]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Doogie
Has anyone ever considered breaking down a treadmill to make a ball spinner? I have been thinking that this would work well. The motor should be powerfull enough and with the control panel you can get variable speeds. I have seen them as low as $25 on craigslist. If I see another one this cheap I think I am going to try it.

Any input people would have would be appreciated.

I've taken an old treadmill apart and still have the DC motor and controller/drive board. I already have a Vertex single speed spinner, but I figured I could make either another variable speed spinner or something else.

It should work out fine if you can figure out the packaging and mounting the motor shaft to a ball bowl. Treadmills usually have DC motors because it's cheaper and easier to cover a full range of speeds versus an AC motor. The DC controller boards usually have a 0-10VDC input which is fed-in from the digital display based on miles/hour selection. If you don't want to use or don't have the display you can replace it with a liner taper 5K potentiometer. Put the wiper leg from the potentiometer on the DC controller board which is usually marked "P2". The outer legs go to "P1" and "P3" which are ground and 10 volts derived on the board from a DC supply. The speed will now be controlled with the potentiometer which should be linear as you turn it up/down.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#173945 - 12/12/12 09:36 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: getting old]
smarcus Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/Queens, New York
Looking at all the posts here. If you're into making your own thing, then fine, but can just go to polishyourball.com and look at what they have. You just need any standard drill. Works pretty good for most anything need to do at home.

#181634 - 09/27/13 11:29 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: getting old]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I just happened to come across this old thread. From looking at their products, I felt it worth a bump.

Everything can fit into a small box, and their products seem to be just common sense.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#181635 - 09/27/13 02:45 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: SteveH]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: New Old Bowler
I just happened to come across this old thread. From looking at their products, I felt it worth a bump.

Everything can fit into a small box, and their products seem to be just common sense.

In my opinion, the only reason to own a ball spinner is to polish a ball, and those things just don't create enough RPMs to shine a ball. They come out looking duller. Just my experience and opinion.

#181636 - 09/27/13 04:18 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: getting old]
slowdown Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59/m/junction city, ks
Hello,
Made one it's a 1100 rpm motor garage door opener perfect for me. tried a 3400 rpm motor to way too much. i got the motors for free. constructing the box to support the motor took me a while, the hard part was mounting the metal bowl which i decided to mount a pulley on the motor then use another pulley which the bowl rested on. Drilled holes 4 hole thru the bowl and pulley attached it with 7/16 nuts a bolts. spent a total of 40 dollars.
Brutal Nightmare
Misfit (Orange/Blue) Spare Ball WD

#181641 - 09/28/13 07:24 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: tazlittleking]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: tazlittleking
This works wonderfull! Love having my own spinner. Was wondering if it would be worth $300 up for spinner and I think it is. To have to only pay $35 makes it even sweeter. Totally has paid for itself over and over.

Hey , I've seen this thread before and was intrigued by this setup. Harbor Freight still has the press and is still a good buy at $50.
Very tempting.

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#181653 - 09/29/13 09:49 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: champ]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Originally Posted By: champ

In my opinion, the only reason to own a ball spinner is to polish a ball, and those things just don't create enough RPMs to shine a ball. They come out looking duller. Just my experience and opinion.

More than likely true. I've been cleaning after every practice and league. I also just started to touch the ball up with an Abralon pad, by hand. Is there a real advantage to Polishing the ball? I tried that a few times last year by hand, and realized it was a losing battle.

Right now after I use the pad, I clean and wipe off, that's about it.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#194486 - 07/03/16 11:08 AM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: getting old]
ytlas Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 61/m/SoCal
I know this is a three year old thread, but there's a ball spinner currently listed on the large auction site. Ends 7/10/16.

The ball spinner is a Bizmar ball spinner made by Bruce Marberg. It uses a sealed aircraft bearing under the ball cup so it should never wobble. I bought mine from Bruce himself back in 1979 and paid $180 back then.

#194536 - 07/08/16 08:11 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: ytlas]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: ytlas
I know this is a three year old thread, but there's a ball spinner currently listed on the large auction site. Ends 7/10/16.

The ball spinner is a Bizmar ball spinner made by Bruce Marberg. It uses a sealed aircraft bearing under the ball cup so it should never wobble. I bought mine from Bruce himself back in 1979 and paid $180 back then.

Looks like a well built ball spinner that holds it value well. Used approaching that 180 mark.

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#194537 - 07/08/16 08:32 PM Re: Ball Spinner / Where to get used / Home Built any good [Re: BOSStull]
ytlas Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 61/m/SoCal
Also the winner has to pay shipping...

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.