BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24942 - 04/21/05 02:14 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 39/M
"Other things I've seen in balls of the net include balls with a clearly marked Mass Bias (Rad for Storm, may vary depending on the brand) where it would be a good ball to setup for a lefty, however the guy who got it is a righty..."

Can someone please explain more on the above, didn't know there is a difference in tis. So what is the best setup for a lefty ? Thank you very much.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24943 - 04/21/05 04:09 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Ace, balls with mass bias' are asymetrical balls. It doesn't matter if you are right handed or left handed. Asymetrical balls tend to be more unpredictable. They are great for higher level strokers, who do not put too much on the ball. But in the hands of crankers, they can become uncontrollable very quickly, unless extreme skill is employed.

You can drill a ball (any ball) with the pin in the opposite side and the bowler's hand, if that bowler has tons of hand and wants a ball with "killed" revs. In otherwords, this would work for a bowler with so many revs that they cannot tame it down for drier (maybe even medium) lane conditions. So they put the pin in the opposite side of the ball.

You'd also want a ball drilled for what appeared to be for the opposite hand, if that bowler was a reverse curve bowler. i.e. back up bowler.

The full roller also needs very specific and precis pin placements to make the most out of the dynamics of the ball. The layout would not look "normal" to most 3/4 rollers.

Erin

#24944 - 04/21/05 02:04 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Erin,

My point exactly. Guy with no hand gets a ball off the net, and wants it to hook, but setup is problematic becuase of the mass bias, cg, pin alignment. The setup that would have to be used is not quite ideal for the reaction the bowler is looking for. Or the guy shows you the drilling instuctions, and tells you to make it exactly like this, except you can't since its, for example, a one inch pin, and he wants the cg under the centerline of the grip and the pin over the fingers...

#24945 - 04/21/05 07:26 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Ace38 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 39/M
ComputerGuru,
What do you mean by one inch pin or three inch pin ? what is it reference to ? And is the purpose of having different size pin ? Thanks...

Thanks Atochabsh for your explanation.... thumbsup:

#24946 - 04/21/05 07:45 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Ace38:
ComputerGuru,
What do you mean by one inch pin or three inch pin ? what is it reference to ? And is the purpose of having different size pin ? Thanks...

Thanks Atochabsh for your explanation.... thumbsup:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">All modern bowling balls have pins. What I mean by an 1 inch pin is the distance of the pin from the CG... shorter pins generally roll up earlier and arc smoother off the break point, conversely, longer pins hook later and harder... What I'm driving at is that with internet balls you have no controll over what pin and top weight they will ship you. Proshops can always get a ball that meets your requirements from a distrubuter...
Or if they a several of the ball in stock, they can pick the one with the best top wight and pin for your game. Yes, you can save money buying balls off the internet, however, say the ball cracks due to a defect, you will have to deal with sending the ball back yourself. You get the ball from a Pro Shop, they will get the replacement for you. Good proshops will not charge you to drill a replacement, if you bought the ball from them to begin with. That happens with an internet ball. guesss what. The shop will expect you to pay for the drilling of the replacement. brickwall

#24947 - 05/24/05 06:25 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Num1continder Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 22/male/Kansas City
I keep hearing everyone say that the online shops Are only cheeper because they buy the "FACTORY SECONDS". what is wrong with these balls?

#24948 - 05/24/05 08:57 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
From what my balldriller tells me about these factory seconds most of the time the weights and balances are wrong. Another defect could be the weight block and the center of the ball marking is way off. Every once in a while you may get lucky and nothings wrong with the ball at all, but your chances of being that lucky is a million to one. That's why I rather have my ball driller order the ball for me, because then I don't have to worry about shipping. I've seen too many people being so concerned with price and people like that get what they paid for and have no reason to complain.

#24949 - 07/25/05 05:07 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
aj10pin Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 19/m/southend essex
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by BubbaD:
I recommend having your spare ball drilled the same way as your strike ball... it helps ME to know that no matter what ball out of my bag I pick up it FEELS the same... I can pull any ball out of my bag and it feels the same in my hand as any other ball (with exception to polished or dull) but the way it fits my hand fingers... thumb its identical... thats one of the things I am VERY particular on a ball.. I make sure my driller triple check pitch angles and span on my balls before he drills them... and I check them when I pick them up...and if they arent right I make him fix them, maybe I am a bit finicky but thats me </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Tell u wot Bubbad U are spot on cuz if one ball is VERY MINUTE in Span/pitch diff you will feel the diifrence so u are rite to make ur Pro Shop guy to check it 3/4 times lol

when i 1st started bowling i went to a local shop and the driller completely nack my thumb up cuz he drilled the ball at the wrong pitch and it was stayin on my too long thus causin the thumb slug to 'rip' my thumb open. now i use a diff ball driller although its summin like 90 miles away wink but i trust him completely as i neva had ne more trouble with the thumb lol

my 1st set of balls of him cost me 1000 thats 4 balls 6 ball roller abs shoes and coachin lol

so all in all if u go to ur Pro Shop and buy multiple balls /accessaries you can get discounts as my gear sudda cost bout 1500 all total lol saved 500

Good luck and Good Bowling laugh laugh laugh laugh

#24950 - 10/08/05 05:31 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
kingpindave Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 26 male london
Most pro shops in london will drill your ball if it isnt bought from them. I generally get my stuff from the States.

It works out cheaper for me and you just cant count on the pro shops over here getting the stuff you want.

I either had to wait 4 weeks for my Elements Crossfire ball. Or get one shipped to me in 72hrs. Plus my local Pro Shop would have ripped me off when buying the ball.. smile

#24951 - 10/22/05 07:55 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
gr8bowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 26/male/colorado
I buy all my balls online. They have a huge selection, & alot of information on all the balls, & better yet you can get most balls for half off! if you have questions you can ask a local Pro Shop then get you ball online. Ask me for the sites if you want them.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.