BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24922 - 01/13/04 06:26 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Turner727 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 34/M/KCMO
I went to an online Pro Shop, and picked some equipment out that looked good. Got prices, and added up shipping, drilling, and all the extra stuff. Came to about $300 for two balls, (one white dot, one Power Groove), shoes and bag, plus the drilling, shipping, etc.

Went to the Pro Shop, and found the same equipment cheaper, Drilling was $2 more for one ball, but $5 less for the other. Shoes were a good 30% cheaper.

Plus now I have the added advantage that I can buy this stuff piecemeal, instead of all at once to save on shipping. And while I haven't been around pro shops a lot, I got a good feel off of the owner. So I know where I'll be going to get my stuff.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24923 - 01/14/04 09:03 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
boatman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 48 / male / Kalama, Wa
Well I have to fall in with the rest. I just got a Storm Trama ER (E-BAY) and when I went to have it drilled the guy at the Pro Shop told me it was a factory second. This was my 4th ball I bought on line. The first three no problem.
The good part, no I have to talk my wife into letting me get a new Fear Factor, from my local pro-shop.
Wish me luck. eek

#24924 - 01/31/04 06:41 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Harrylegthigh Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 48/m/oklahoma
I started bowling last year and since then have gone through a state of buying balls at local pro shops and off ebay and individual bowling suppliers. I like the ease with which one can search on the internet for price and products and information about lthe various balls and what available etc. I agree the best advice for a novice would be to go to a Pro Shop but the fact is the price difference for a bowler collecting an arsnenal of balls is just too great to rely soley on small local pro shops. The price the local pro shops here ask for there name brand fairly new issue balls is just tredemously marked up plus you have to pay tax on top of that. But it usually does come with free drilling. Your ball driller and Pro Shop owner are there to help but not control the bowlers. My Pro Shop guys drill my balls for 30$ and never give me any lip about not buying from them. Its our right to save a little where we can, but for advice on your setup and drilling I would always got to and have a driller that new what I was doing rather than having it drilled by someone who didn't know or understand your needs. So in short buying on the internet is not so bad but sometimes one can get a blem, epecially from the ebay sellers but I have gotten several good used balls there. An real good service and deals on new balls from some of the major suppliers. Also some of the ball manufacturers sell blems at a good price. best of luck.*0)

#24925 - 07/18/04 03:15 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Kenny 13
I am going to buy a Columbia Blue Dot as a spare
ball as I heard they are only 49.00 dollars. My
question is should I get finger inserts as I do
have them in my strike ball which is mojo by track

thanks in advance bowling joel thumbsup

strokers do it better with help:

#24926 - 07/18/04 05:49 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
BubbaD Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/m/utah
I recommend having your spare ball drilled the same way as your strike ball... it helps ME to know that no matter what ball out of my bag I pick up it FEELS the same... I can pull any ball out of my bag and it feels the same in my hand as any other ball (with exception to polished or dull) but the way it fits my hand fingers... thumb its identical... thats one of the things I am VERY particular on a ball.. I make sure my driller triple check pitch angles and span on my balls before he drills them... and I check them when I pick them up...and if they arent right I make him fix them, maybe I am a bit finicky but thats me

#24927 - 07/21/04 04:28 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
BowlerFreak Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 46,female - RH - Northern IL
For what it's worth...

I have a good relationship with my local Pro Shop(s) because I buy a lot of equipment from them. In return, they are VERY willing to help me out with anything from free polishing/sanding/finger grips to advice on the lanes. Plus, it is an insult to a professional to buy your equipment elsewhere much cheaper, only to come to the pros for their advice and expertise. That is partly why their balls are more expensive - you get the knowledge that comes with the ball -- it is a package deal. I have never regretted one dime that I have spent at our pro shops in town.

#24928 - 07/25/04 01:00 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I am lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. I do agree however that you should start off at the Pro Shop. Get your first couple of balls there. Do research online and educate yourself on the fine art of bowling balls. Some pro shops have huge mark ups. My first ball came up to $180 including tax and drilling. And that was a mid priced ball. I found the same ball online for a $100 less.
I then found a buddy that drills balls as a weekend job. His prices were out of this world too. So I started buying balls online and giving them to him to drill. I saved loads of money. I mean like $60-80 each. Sometimes more.
I have now found a Pro Shop that matches internet pricing and has separated the drilling charge. They are a reputable Pro Shop that drills for a couple of touring pba pros. I can now get a Triple X for under $200 including drilling when before the price would have been over $200 just for the ball. I say if you are knowledgeable and run into a hot deal online, jump on it. If you have a good Pro Shop who will cut you a deal then stick with it.
I think the pro shops should adjust their thinking like this Pro Shop did. If business is lagging then this might help. If you have a long waiting list of bowlers waiting to have their ball drilled, then keep the prices high. Business is all about supply and demand. Most business owners are judged by if they are able to grow their business. pro shops should be no different. change is good.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#24929 - 08/29/04 07:25 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
fuze detonator Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 14/m/uk
some pro shops will not drill a ball that isn't brought from htere own shop
Current Average 169 over 60+ Games

#24930 - 08/30/04 02:34 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Any pro-shop that refuses to drill an outside purchased ball, doesn't need your business. There are plenty more that will drill anything you bring them.

The pro-shop I use matches internet pricing and charges a flat $40, for fitting, drilling, inserts, and finishing. He is happy not to have to stock so many balls, and get stuck with them when they go out of style. You can find and purchase it from the web, or he will order it for you from the local distrubtion center. Either way it is the same price.

He is more interested in having happy customers that return, than he is the profit in new balls.

#24931 - 08/30/04 03:09 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Yes, but Fuze is in the UK and the atmosphere may be different there then it is here.

I can see that in the UK, where road travel is more difficult and availability of pro shops may be extremely limited that you might have to contain yourself from internet purchasing. All roads lead to London!

Erin

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - Yesterday at 05:30 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by champ - Yesterday at 12:44 AM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.