BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24912 - 01/06/03 12:53 AM Where to find/How much for a good ball
Bronxboy279 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 20/M/NY
I was told by a fellow bowler that all the bowling balls found in places like "the sports authority" have defaults. I was also told that I would have to spend around $180 for a quality ball. Is this true?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24913 - 01/06/03 08:23 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Wes K Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49/M/Connecticut
I'm not familiar with the stuff sold by sporting goods stores, but $180 for a quality bowling ball at a reputable Pro Shop sounds about right (if the price includes fitting and drilling).

#24914 - 01/06/03 11:08 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
usr bin geek Offline

A/S/L: 37/m/Burlington, VT
It is my experience that any "Big Box" retailer only sells blemished or factory second bowling equipment as the bowling industry keeps all factory first equipment exclusively for pro shops.

That fellow bowler gave you good advice.

I've seen topics like this before so in an effort to head off someone chiming in with the suggestion of an "online Pro Shop" I'd must point out that our Community Standards state, "You may not recommend or otherwise discuss online pro shops. It has been our experience that some of the online pro shops often misrepresent the equipment they sell, the terms of the sale, or in some cases even fail to deliver any goods at all. Posts including prices of equipment and web addresses or other contact information for online pro shops will be edited or removed."
Founder

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board.

Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

#24915 - 01/06/03 12:28 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Kenny13 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 42/m/New Orleans
Going to a Pro Shop is the way to go. At those large chains, there is not usually anyone there that can guide you to the right choice for your style and ability.

What you may save at the large chains, you end up paying later on. Any ball you buy from my local Pro Shop comes with free service which includes free fitting and drilling, cleaning, polishing, and sanding (and he does these on an unlimited basis). You will pay for these services in the end if you go to the chain stores, and still not necessarily get what you really need.

#24916 - 01/17/03 02:30 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
FloridaLefty Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 36/M/Florida
Being a bowler that has bought balls from everywhere over the years, I recommend your local Pro Shop simply because they should be giving you better edvise and fitting than a retail outlet.

One thing that I've done alot, and still do is to check out the consignments or used balls your pro may have. You can usually get one for 50% or more off of the retail of a new ball. Try the ball for awhile, if you like it, you may want to buy a similar or exactly the same ball new. But otherwise if you're not too happy with it, your only out 1/2 the money you would have spent for a new ball. Also, get to be friends with some of the better bowlers in your league or lanes, I've had a number of good house bowlers, and semi-pro's GIVE me old balls that they didn't use anymore.

Take it to your pro, have it drilled for minimal cost, and you're good to go!

#24917 - 01/18/03 12:17 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 86,male,SF Bay Area
I agree with Steve and the others. For 90% of the bowlers a Pro Shop is definitely the best option. However, if you have doubts about pricing then I'd suggest a visit to one of the online sites ( which can't be mentioned here) and see what they are charging for the particular ball in question.This will give you a ball-park figure to work from. In most cases you'll find that the local pro-shop price, when you figure in drilling charges, etc., is about the same or only a little bit higher. And that difference is worth it when you consider advice, fine-tuning, guarantee, etc., etc.If there is a huge disparity in price then you might want to shop around a bit at other pro-shops in your area.
Doc

#24918 - 02/18/03 12:47 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
Hey BronxBoy!

Just to add my two cents worth. Not only was that great advice due to the quality of the equipment being lesser, I can almost guarantee that the person who fits and drills the ball really doesn't have a clue to what they're doing. Not only will the ball probably not fit, but may also cause injury due to a poor fit. Having worked in a shop for some years, I can't tell you how many people have brought these balls in for us to refit. They may have saved $20-$30 on the initial price, but then they have to get the ball plugged and re-drilled, price varies from shop to shop, plus the ball is now plugged so it probably doesn't have the color match exactly(cosmetics really aren't a big deal) but the ball has now cost you what a factory first costs, and it's a factory second to start with! Your Pro Shop operator if he is absolutely ethical, can probably put you into a piece of equipment that will fit your game and not be too expensive, if you don't mind throwing something that isn't part of the "ball-of-the-month-club". It may be something from six months to a year old, but just may fit the bill. Once again, you get what you pay for.

Tom

#24919 - 03/21/03 08:26 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
bowl2win Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 48/m/tampa
i baught 1 ball from Pro Shop and one from ebay(saved about $20).
after all said and done. the Pro Shop ball is the best deal ..they have replace grips at nocharge.(the replacement charge for ebay ball is $15 for 3) and always give me advice on what i am doing wrong..the best advice they gave me was not to quit my day job.. i hope this helps..

#24920 - 06/03/03 04:36 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
emperor Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/Bronx, NY
I looked online and found balls for very good prices. Going to proshops (all small) were overpriced. For example I bought my Hammer Blade Pearl for $90, and went to a Pro Shop to get it drilled for $30. Don't go crazy with your funds, buddy. When you talk to the Pro Shop guy, you can figure if he knows his stuff.

#24921 - 06/03/03 06:04 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Jimmy N Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/male/CT
If I may add my 2 cents worth, the balls you'll find at Sports Authority are generally plastic balls, ie. balls that wont hook. Those balls work alright as spare balls, but they wont be drilled correctly, so its generally not worth it to waste your time. I know a few people who have bought balls there, the "fitters" size your thumb, and have it put into a ball that has a bunch of finger holes in a spiral set up. You put your fingers in the ones that fit the closest, and thats how they measure your span. So, you are forced to go with their "pre-measurements", kinda like you do when searching for a house-ball. At a real Pro Shop, your span is measured, and the driller knows where to drill the ball for maximum performance. You can get a good ball used at most pro shops if you dont want to pay 180, usually you can get something in the 75-100 range.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.