BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24932 - 12/08/04 10:03 AM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
CPAScott Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 31/M/near Boston, MA
I concur about buying balls from a local reputible Pro Shop. If you think the price is too high compared to some of the reputible online shops (of which there are a few), negotiate with your local shop.

I buy my bowling ball from local pro shops, but other equipment (gloves, tape, cleaners, etc.) from the online guys.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24933 - 01/19/05 04:05 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Buck Rabbit Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 51/M/Portland OR/LH
BubbaD, I understand your point but I do the opposite for the same reason.

When I shoot a 10 pin, I break my wrist, and shoot a full roller with a spare ball to get a near staight shot.

I don't want my muscle memory to kick-in for my normal shot so I make everything different, no finger grips in the spare ball, take off my wrist brace, the ball is even a different weight. When I pick up my spare ball to shoot a 10 or 6-10 ten, it is a whole different shot, that is mentally seperated from the feel I am trying to achieve on my strike ball. To make it a golf analogy, shooting the 10 pin is putting, the strike shot is my drive, and the muscle memory and protocal are completely different for each.

This works for ME and and though I am not a great bowler converting 10 pins at an above average pace is my best bowling skill. My personnal theory would be if you are trying to pick up your corner pins using the exact same stroke and release as your strike ball make the FEEL of the spare ball the same by duplicating weight and grips. If you are using a release on your corner pin shot that you don't want to repeat with your strike ball, make the feel distinctly different.

Joel, you can take, my opinion as the, some people get away with it method. I will be interested to see what the coaches have to say about this. Is there a preferred way to setup a spare bowl or is this a matter of what feels right for each inidividual?

#24934 - 01/20/05 10:19 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
I just think, "Why go to so much trouble for one shot?"

Use a plastic spare ball drilled the same as your strike ball, and you don't have to learn a new shot, or undress and redress between frames..... K.I.S.S. It works!

#24935 - 02/28/05 01:10 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
I agree Coach!

I've started inserting my thumb first for right-side spares and deliver it basically the same; it makes a difference!

A guy on our pair last night threw it hard and with lots of revs; for his 10-pin spare, he just stuck his thumb in the ball - no fingers. I think he missed as many as he made... but it did go straight! ;-)

Dave

#24936 - 03/07/05 12:39 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Blondbeard Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 60/M/Missouri
I am not an experienced bowler and bowl for recreation. I have bought from the Pro Shop and from on-line. Truthfully, I can not tell any difference in quality. But like I say I just bowl for recreation. But I do notice more people buying from on-line because of the price differential. I would think our Pro Shop would get wise and cut the mark-up and do more volumn, but it is small and run by the lanes and so they are more interested in the alley, food and drinks than the pro-shop.

#24937 - 04/20/05 12:42 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Bronxboy279:
I was told by a fellow bowler that all the bowling balls found in places like "the sports authority" have defaults. I was also told that I would have to spend around $180 for a quality ball. Is this true? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I assume that you're a current Bronxite. If so, you can try Cirillo's Pro Shop inside of Paradise Lanes in Yonkers. Its very near the racetrack. His prices are fair, and he has been drilling for a very long time.

regards

Walter

#24938 - 04/20/05 12:59 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by emperor:
I looked online and found balls for very good prices. Going to proshops (all small) were overpriced. For example I bought my Hammer Blade Pearl for $90, and went to a pro shop to get it drilled for $30. Don't go crazy with your funds, buddy. When you talk to the pro shop guy, you can figure if he knows his stuff. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Not in the shop I work P/T in. You bring a ball in purchased from the internet to get punched up, expect to pay $50 for drilling plus Finger Inserts plus thumb Slug. Total cost : $77 to get a ball drilled. And say the ball you got from the net has a 1 inch pin and 5 OZ Top Weight, don't expect us to swap out the ball for one that fits your game. We're gonna drill what you give us. Ain't no way to make sure you get a pin placement and Top weight that suits your game from the web. Other web balls I've seen have been 5 inch pin with 1 1/2 Oz on top... not much you can do in terms of layout. Other things I've seen in balls of the net include balls with a clearly marked Mass Bias (Rad for Storm, may vary depending on the brand) where it would be a good ball to setup for a lefty, however the guy who got it is a righty... Again, we're not going to swap out balls so we do the best we can given the ball in hand.

#24939 - 04/20/05 03:45 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
The Pro Shop that I've been doing business with for 7 years has never failed me in choosing the right equipment for my game. The Pro Shop that I go to has a stub lane so that you can try out your new ball for free so that if there are problems of any kind while you're trying it out that the problems can be fixed right there on the spot. My balldriller has shared with me the nightmares that he's seen with people bringing in "internet balls and raffleballs" and boy did I learn something quite interesting. Of course you as a bowler would not recognize anything wrong with the ball, but to a professional ball driller he can spot several things. The number one thing that my balldriller checks for is the weights and balances. And from his experience most of those weights and balances are either off a little or a lot. Sometimes you get lucky and the weights and balances are correct-yeah out of one and a million defective balls that he's seen. He recently told me that a regular customer had given him a ball for him to drill out and when he tried to drill it that core of the ball was separating from the shell- what a nightmare! Of course my balldriller will drill balls from the internet for you but there's a cost to that because he's using his equipment and his overall labor to drill the ball right. And people who think that a ball driller should not charge one to drill a ball that came from the internet or won at a raffle is really out of their mind. Hey drilling a ball is a lot more than drilling three holes in it. So you are much better off getting your ball and having it drilled the right way from a reputable Pro Shop. I own 5 balls and each and every one of them fit me to a T and they feel the same way when I do have to change balls. Me as an aspiring pro bowler strongly feel that price is unimportant- it's the quality and fit of the ball that matter to me the most. Anyone who is more interested in saving a couple of bucks here and there my opinion to people who think that way is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLIAN WHEN YOUR HAND RESEMBLES HAMBURGER MEAT" Enough said.

#24940 - 04/20/05 07:57 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

Never mind the people who come in and say make the ball act like it appears on the chart, and they have a low rev rate and throw a spinner, There is nothing I can do to make a spinner's ball hook 30 boards. What I can do is make it hook more than his other equipment. I've had customers come in and say make it hook like it does in the video. Only problem is that the guy in the video is a high rev player, and the guy who bought the ball off the net is a low rev spinner. Ball he got had a 4 1/2 pin and 4 TW, this particular player needs more help on oil y=than what that ball with its pin placement and top weight will allow. He needs short pins and low top weight, so the ball can get into a roll. But he got the ball off the net, so we do the best we can. He ended up getting a HUGE weight hole in the thumb quadrent.

#24941 - 04/20/05 10:26 PM Re: Where to find/How much for a good ball
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
Some people just never learn. People like that I say are too lazy to work at their game to aquire the skills necessary to be successful in this wonderful game of bowling. People of that mentality want to buy the ability in buying every hooking ball in the market and think that that's all they need to succeed. People like that I just laugh at, because I know that they won't make it that far. I don't care how you slice it you still have to work at it and it still takes time to improve.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by SteveH - 0 seconds ago
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - Today at 10:34 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by SteveH - Today at 10:30 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - Today at 09:20 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 06/17/19 10:58 PM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - 05/26/19 11:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.