BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24715 - 10/08/02 12:15 PM Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
morgan Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30/f/western ny
I have been using a plastic ball for 8 years. The plastic ball I had was drilled unproperly. However over the 8 years I learned to compensate for it. Hit my pocket and got the pins down. The holes were extremly large so I would grasp my ball and learned to use it.
I just recently bought a urethane ball.Its a Brunswick Groove. The owner of the pro-shop has been drilling balls for 50 years. The fit of the ball is perfect unlike my old plastic ball.He had encouraged me to by a urethane ball saying it has better grip on the lane and better pin action. I throw a straight ball and always have.
I am extremly frustrated because I have been hitting the pocket everytime. The most perfect throw a ball can have. I am robbed everytime because instead of getting my strike I always leave one or 2 pins.I have never had this problem.
With my plastic ball, when I hit the pocket I always got the pins down.I should also add I don't bowl by looking at the mark. I pin bowl. I have to look at the pins when I throw or I can't bowl at all.
I can't improve my game because I am hitting the pocket. I don't know what to do. All I seem to get is one or two dead pins left..no strike. My average was a 130 now I am lucky if I can break 100 game. I even used my friends ball for one game, which hers is plastic. I bowled a 150. ??????????? Does this make sense?
Is there something I have to do different with a urethane ball? Its suppose to have better pin action with urethane instead of plastic but I had better pin action with my plastic poorly drilled ball.
I have been bowling with my new ball for 4 weeks now with no solution in site. I'm about ready to give up on it but I spent all that money on a new ball. I don't want it to just sit in a closet.
Can anyone please help me? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Tricia crying crying crying

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24716 - 10/08/02 03:07 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by tigerkitty:
I am extremly frustrated because I have been hitting the pocket everytime. The most perfect throw a ball can have. I am robbed everytime because instead of getting my strike I always leave one or 2 pins.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">One misconception that all bowlers have is that a ball in the pocket automatically means a strike. There is a lot more to it than just that. Angle of entry, deflection of the ball, amount of oil on the backends, the place in the pocket where the ball hit, etc. For instance, the soft 10 for a right hander means the ball was not high enough in the pocket and hit too much of the 3 pin driving it straight back causing the 6 pin to get hit very lightly and just lazily fall into the gutter. Yet the average bowler will think they got robbed. A ball too high in the pocket will leave either a smash 7 or a 4 pin, again for right handers. The bowler once again thinks they were robbed.

Bowlers need to read the pin action and the direction of their ball through the pin deck to get the real reason the ball did not knock down all 10 pins. Remember the 4 pins that come in contact with the ball for a strike, for a right hander, are the 1-3-5-9 pins, and it is the angle that the ball hits these pins that determins the outcome. Like Bill Taylor says, there are no taps in bowling as there is always a reason why a pin or pins are left standing.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">
I can't improve my game because I am hitting the pocket. I don't know what to do. All I seem to get is one or two dead pins left..no strike.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Again hitting the pocket does not guarantee a strike. And all bowlers, even the on the professional level need to improve their game. There is always something to work on, or change to get improvement due to equipment, lane conditions, and many other things too numerous to list. So thinking you do not need improvement will only add to your frustration levels. Since you posted here asking for help, you need improvement. Is there a qualified coach in your area that you can see for help? Have you thrown the ball and have the ball driller watch to see what they say?

You may just need to change the angle you are throwing your ball towards the pocket. You may need to change the speed of your ball for better carry. If the ball is a light ball, deflection is a major issue there. As you can see there are many different answers and issues at hand, and a qualified coach or instructor will greatly help you.

As I see you are from Western, NY, there are many great bowling establishments in the area. If you are close to the Airport in Buffalo, I believe there is someone at Thruway Lanes that does instruction and it is a very nice house.

Hope this helps you on your way...

Later...Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#24717 - 10/08/02 03:49 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
Pizzaguy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/M/Rochester, NY
And if you're from the Rochester area, let me know and I can point you to a number of instructors and/or nice houses to practice in.

#24718 - 10/08/02 04:39 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
morgan Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thank you for all of your advice. I am also sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I can't improve my game. If that was the case my average would be much higher. I guess the way I should of worded it was when I DO hit the pocket the pins refuse to go down and leave one or two pins behind. When I don't hit the pocket I know its because of my ability. I didn't throw it right or my arm wasn't straight and so forth. I just meant when I do hit the pocket I can't get them down. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Oh by the way I use a 12lb ball.
Yes they have watched me throw it. They consider it a few bad games and said that every bowler has it. That it looks good, its hitting the pocket right but its just "one of those nights". (Seem to be having alot of those)
I guess it just confuses me because I never had this problem with a plastic ball and now that I have a urethane I do have a problem.You've given me alot to think about and I really appreciate you taking the time to make all these points to me.
I will try changing my entry and take into consideration all that you have told me. Thanks so much !!

P.S. I live about 35 miles south of Buffalo, NY. In the stix. But it might be worth going the little bit of distance.

Tricia

(To the admin. Got your message, sorry about posting twice. I didn't know it wasn't allowed, the dummy I am didn't know which forum to put it in. I don't know what spam is..I am new to computer. But if thats what I did I am TRULY sorry. I won't post anymore.)

#24719 - 10/08/02 05:13 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
Community Manager Offline

A/S/L: BowlingCommuntiy.com
Tricia,

To be clear I'm not asking you not to post anymore, in fact I really hope you'll stick around and get to know everyone! smile As I said in my reply to your private message I only wanted to explain to you why posting the same message in multiple forums was wrong. I had the impression you didn't know thats why I only wanted to give you the heads up. It was not my wish for you to stop posting or leave the community!

Community Standards - The Community's Rules and Policies.

#24720 - 10/09/02 11:41 AM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by tigerkitty:

P.S. I live about 35 miles south of Buffalo, NY. In the stix. But it might be worth going the little bit of distance.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Where in the stix do you live? I have relatives that live right down there in the stix by you. I was just up there this summer. Too bad I could have done some lessons with you. But I may have someone you can contact in the area, but I am checking with them first.

Later...Dan

Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#24721 - 10/09/02 02:11 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
morgan Offline
Bumper Bowler

Hi again....well most people get lost when I try to tell them where I am from but I'll give it a shot.
I live about 10 minutes from Springville, NY in a little bitty town (don't blink you might miss it) called East Otto, NY. It consists of a post office and a fire hall..lol.
Once again, thank you for your help smile

Tricia

#24722 - 10/09/02 02:22 PM Re: Can't bowl with urethane-Brunswick Groove
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by morgan:
I live about 10 minutes from Springville, NY in a little bitty town (don't blink you might miss it) called East Otto, NY. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Yep, right off Rt 219. Know it well, as that is the way I use to go to the ski places - Kissing Bridge and Bluemont (or whatever they are called now a days). I lived on Grand Island for 28 years before moving down to MD. The person I am trying to contact is in Fredonia. Once I hear back, and if he does lessons, I will let you know. But I do not think you can go wrong with going to Thruway Lanes. Just give them a call first to check on dates and times as I believe the Pro Shop person does the lessons.

Later...Dan

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.