BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24652 - 09/13/02 03:36 AM Drill pattern for drylane ball
UncleSkinner Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 50/M/Malaysia
My bowling centre has medium length/oil lanes. My medium/heavy oil ball is drilled with the pin between the fingers and mass bias just outside of the thumb hole to give it length and a lovely smooth hook and flip into the pocket.
This ball serves me well on synthetic lanes or wooden lanes freshly oiled. However, I get into a fair bit of difficulty as it gets drier.

I do not want to change my speed, or move inside more than 2 boards from where I usually stand. Playing an inside arrow usually leaves me 5/7 splits. I get confused and befuddled when trying to change my wrist and palm positions at release and my sparing then becomes erratic.

So, I've decided to buy me a drylane ball.

My question now is : How do I drill this new ball?
Do I drill it similar to my medium/heavy oil ball or do I drill it strong knowing that the coverstock will allow it to go long and then come in strongly into the pocket.
I am a creature of habit. So I like to keep my line similar to that of medium/heavy conditions.
( Just like a golfer who changes clubs to vary the distance but who still keeps his swing constant ).

p/s Coachrich..I really need your input here.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24653 - 09/13/02 08:28 AM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Uncleskinner,

Thank you for asking for my help. I'll take that as a compliment. cool

Alas, although I have read several books on ball physics, my limited finances have prevented me from attending the IBPSIA school on drilling equipment. Therefore I'll leave the pin placement and mass bias location advice to a Pro Shop professional.

However...you guessed it...I have input. Just not from the perspective of the science of ball drilling/physics.

I agree with you. Change equipment to keep delivery as consistent as possible. I encourage the bowlers I coach to use finger inserts and thumb slugs. This gives them the same 'feel', no matter what the ball coverstock.

A quick review of ball variables:

Coverstock (from controllable to reactive):

Plastic
Urethane
Resin
Particle

Each coverstock characterisitic can be varied by:

Sanding (smooth-rough) and Polished (lotsa different polishes)

Side note: sanding and polishing urethane has a different effect than sanding or polishing reactive/particle.

Ball reaction can be changed by drilling:

On-axis (least reactive to the coverstock) to leveraged (most reactive) and everywhere in between.

Although it puzzles me, there are times when plastic makes sense as the primary 'strike ball'. It seems that once a bowler purchases a plastic ball and calls it their 'spare ball', they feel as if they are violating a cardical rule by pulling it out of the bag on desert-like lane conditions. nut

I think I just wrote all of this and still didn't answer your question.

Experts?

#24654 - 09/13/02 11:30 AM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
UncleSkinner Offline
Bantam

Coachrich, many thanks for your input.
No, you didn't really answer my question. But the best part was that you didn't pretend to know. I hold you in high esteem for that.
Perhaps I should try to get help from the ****************** professional drillers. They seem to know what they are talking about, if going by their various ball reviews.

Cheerio. See you around.

#24655 - 09/15/02 10:40 PM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
Rosedaleranger Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 38/m/PA
One of my favorite drillings for a controlled ball reaction is to "stack the pin" at the 12:00 position in relation to the CG. Depending on the pin position (in or out) the pin can be placed right above the fingers or below (inbetween the fingers). I have also put the pin above the middle finger with the CG in the center of the grip. Chris Barnes uses something similar to this to compensate for drier conditions or on a wet-dry condition. Both of these leave more of the hook in the hand. If you're consistent with your hand, then you'll get a consistent reaction. Coverstock and core are also important considerations here. You mentioned that you are looking at a Too Hot, which would be a good choice for what you are looking to do.

#24656 - 09/17/02 11:02 PM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
UncleSkinner Offline
Bantam

Hi Rosedaleranger,
Many thanks for your post.
I also prefer a similar type of drilling with the pin between and outside of the fingers. Gives length and control.
I was apprehensive that should I drill the Too Hot this way, it may just go straight down the lane with no time to hook into the pocket. Leverage drilling may prevent this. But I suppose I will just have to try one way or another to see how the ball behaves at my centre, and then adjust accordingly.
The Matrix Conquest also seems like a good choice. It's just that I'm more inclined towards Storm, having had good results with Shock Trauma and Eraser Blaze.
If that Christmas bonus comes in early, I may just buy both balls cos I'll never know till I've tried both.........Right???

Thanks again,

UncleSkinner

#24657 - 09/21/02 10:04 AM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
Rosedaleranger Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 38/m/PA
Uncle Skiner,

Unfortunately you might have to try both. Dynothane will be releasing a ball called the Barrage sometime around the end of the year as I'm told that will be an entry level ball with a simple pancake weight block. But every company has these. One of the ones I liked best if you can find one was Track's Hot Coral Triton. It still had the turn at the end when given a drilling that we previously mentioned. I just don't know if you'll find it anywhere since it is a few years old now.

#24658 - 09/21/02 10:17 AM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
tweaker41 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 16/M/ND
look on the ball drillin chart that comes with the balls and see what the company recommends. Then ur Pro Shop driller might need to make some minor adjustments to it so it won't contradict with ur track if that would be a problem

#24659 - 09/23/02 01:23 PM Re: Drill pattern for drylane ball
Anakin Skywalker Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Jedi have no need for this inf...
You will want to pay attention to where you put the PIN on the ball when you lay it out. The closer to your TRACK you put the PIN, the less the ball will flare, and in turn, hook. Also, consider putting the pin up high - the higher up you put the pin, the longer the ball will go before it flips over into its hooking motion.

Also you will want a ball that does not have an aggressive coverstock. The more aggressive the cover, the more you will have to make up for it in drill pattern and shine, which after a while gets counterproductive. The less aggressive the ball, the less you'll have to make up for it in other areas and you will end up ith a better all around ball sometimes.

Algebra for Prebowlers:
15X + 21EX = 900

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 1 second ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.