BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24465 - 11/25/02 04:11 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
RAY200 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 48 male Rouyn Quebec Canada
Alcohol and windex don not penetrate oil and dirt effectively . They tend to stay on top of oil and when wiped with a towel , smear along the ball s surface leaving behind residue that is absorbed into the surface pores .

Acetone and denaturated alcohol are strong solvent . Prolonged contact with the ball s surface will weakened the structure of the coverstock , affecting long term durability .

Petroleum based cleaner have limited solubility attributes . There not extremely aggressive in breaking down lane oil .

I would suggest cleaners that are abc and wibc approved and you wont go wrong. :rolleyes:
Level 1 Certified Instructor
Pro shop operator

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#24466 - 11/26/02 09:31 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Ty Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 42/M/Cashion, Oklahoma
I like Ebonite's Powerhouse Energizer cleaner. I use a spinner when applying it, then I will spray it with water to rinse any residue from the ball while it is still spinning. Works better than most things I have tried. Clean and dull is very good too. Both can be used without a spinner.
Ty

#24467 - 11/26/02 11:20 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by RAY200:
Acetone and denaturated alcohol are strong solvent . Prolonged contact with the ball s surface will weakened the structure of the coverstock , affecting long term durability .

Petroleum based cleaner have limited solubility attributes . There not extremely aggressive in breaking down lane oil .
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I will not argue with the statement concerning using rubbing alcohol but I will say that I use it and have had no problems. I still use my old Orange Piranha and it has not lost any reaction. Just as a clarification the following products are not approved for use AT ANY TIME. That means before during or after bowling.

Other Alcohols (i.e. Denatured Ethyl Alcohol, etc.)
Acetone (nail polish remover)
"Armor-All"
"Cutex" non-acetone (nail polish remover)
Ethers, Esters and Ketone (MEK)
Kerosene, Gasoline, other fuels
Most commercial solvents (Xylol, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, chloro-form, Methyl Hydrate)

#24468 - 11/27/02 11:36 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
JGBabcock Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 35/M/Philippines
thanks for this info. I bought and applied a Denatured Alcohol, thrice. but with all your advise I wont use it anymore.

#24469 - 11/28/02 11:44 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by JGBabcock:
thanks for this info. I bought and applied a Denatured Alcohol, thrice. but with all your advise I wont use it anymore. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">If you go to www.bowl.com and go to "library" there is a listing of approved and unapproved ball cleaners. It not only tells you what you can and can not use but also if it can be used during competition.

#24470 - 12/11/02 01:39 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
brooklynlefty Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
One technique I have used is to tape the thumb and finger holes with grey friction tape, fill my kitchen sink with boiling hot water and ordinary dishwashing soap like Dawn or Ajax (soap, not cleanser), and let the ball sit on the drainboard and soak for an hour or so. then, you can apply your favorite approved bowling ball cleaner to finish the job and polish if you choose. thumbsup

#24471 - 02/17/03 08:35 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
usr bin geek Offline

A/S/L: 37/m/Burlington, VT
Another good solution is to use the submersion method, which is described in this topic .
Founder

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board.

Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

#24472 - 03/31/03 02:44 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Avid Bowler Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: early-forties/Male/San Diego, ...
For Coach Rich and everyone else out there:

Since last week, I've started cleaning my "La Nina" (Storm) bowling ball with hot water from the sink; I've noticed that after pouring about 2-3 quarts of hot water, my ball would "literally bleed" oil!!! confused

After the hot water wash, I then dry the ball off with a small handy towel; I let it sit for about 5 minutes; after which, I apply 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to the ball surface; and then wipes it off.

The end result of all of this cleaning is that my ball has been reacting like new!!! wink

I bowl 5 leagues in a week and this past week, I've had two 600+ and three high 500+ games!!! laugh
Nice for a 178 average bowler, huh smile

#24473 - 04/01/03 12:13 AM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
Good shootin' Avid!

Thanks for the info, may have to give it a try, the wife has an X-It and I've been using Clean and Dull with the spinner and have gotten good results with it. Sounds good for those without a spinner though.

Tom

#24474 - 04/09/03 01:30 PM Re: How to clean your bowling balls
makstef65 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 38/m/PATRAS GREECE
I use Clean 'n' Dull by TRACK and it does get the oil off! Keeps them turning right!

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.