BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#23362 - 05/06/06 09:47 PM Changing Your Line of Play
RonLaf Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 55/M/Tennessee
I have discovered that I might not need to play those huge hook shots that I always did. In practice yesterday I purposely made a shot through the thick center oil pattern with a beautiful strike as a result. I got a fast breaking hook, but it impacted the strike zone flush. Of course I was baffled, since I've always enjoyed those huge hooks. Now I might be wrong and please correct me if I am..... but the simpler line should be a lot easier to play with less chances of error. Does this make any sense? Is there anything wrong with having a different game plan?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#23363 - 05/06/06 10:31 PM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Outside lines are generally more forgiving then inside lines. So the further inside you go, the more precise you have to be. But the easiest way to a target is a straight line. So if you can generate enough entry angle without hooking the snot out of the ball then that's going to be the easist to get consistent.

But a lot of this has to due with your release and ball speed. If you are going to go "coast to coast" you cover alot of boards, more boards mean more opportunity for inconsistency. So if you can cut the variables (and be more consistent) down by getting more in the oil that's what you do. Because you never know...next week you may need to be in a different spot.

Erin

#23364 - 05/06/06 10:54 PM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
RonLaf Offline
Junior

Thanks, Atochabsh, I guess I needed some reassurance before I screwed up, LOL. I don't have much problem being consistent with speed or accuracy. I really love to watch a well-thrown shot come in flush! But if I can make them easier by a more direct route then I want to research that out. As you said, you never know when you may have to change and use an alternate shot!

#23365 - 05/07/06 02:04 AM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Anything that carries the strikes, is the right thing to do. The goal in competition is closed frames and strikes. You're ability to execute shots (wherever they are) is what you work on in practise. Your ability to use what you've learned in practise is what you do in league or tournament. The two are totally seperate.

Erin

#23366 - 05/08/06 08:34 PM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
As you practice diferent lines and diferent angles of play, you can make adjustments as the lanes dictate. Just look at the PBA layers, the most versatile ones are allways there, they use the line and angle that is given to them, and they are efective using any of them.

#23367 - 05/09/06 06:30 PM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
RonLaf Offline
Junior

Great advice, folks. Thank you! Hey luisistaz, how are the lane conditions down there where you live? I'm just wondering if they are wood or synthetic, well-oiled or dry..... and FUN? Man, I wish I could bowl in every house there is. Of course for now I'll just have to settle for the small local 12-lane wood house we have here!

#23368 - 05/09/06 08:20 PM Re: Changing Your Line of Play
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
They're Brunswick synthetic lanes, they are typical house shot (oiled), but, when the nationals come, they use more demanding oil paterns even for league play!, it's fun, and it's fun looking at all the baffled players faces when house condition is not used. The lanes where I play are about 6 years old, so they are in pretty good shape, kind of like the ones in Vegas where we play our league finnals, at The Orleans or like next year at the new hotel and bowling center, The South Coast.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.