BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22989 - 04/18/06 09:24 PM 1st PBA Regional...advice?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
I will be going to my 1st PBA Regional tourney this weekend. I'd love to hear any advice as general or as detailed as you would like to say.

Thanks!

P.S. Don't mention to take all the balls I have...that's a done deal already. smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#22990 - 04/18/06 10:57 PM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
Pin, you goin as a member, or non-member? Once I complete my summer league, I wanna enter some events. I'm not talkin about regionals, just some tourneys to test my skills against some other guys and lane conditions. I'm curious b/c I was reading up on the $250 that has to be paid for non-members..if I remember correctly

#22991 - 04/19/06 02:49 AM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I have not been to a PBA regional, but I've been to some pretty darn competative tournys.

Patience. That's what I would coach you to have. Patience to find the line and fine tune it. Patience to get over any bad game and come out shooting for the next. Patience to keep making those spares until the line gets clearer.

At this point, its not going to be physical issues that you are working harder at; but the mental stuff.

Erin

#22992 - 04/19/06 06:13 AM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
Mkee...I am going as a member-I just qualified for membership and entered in the PBA this past January, so this will be my 1st event. I know I still have a long way to go to even compare with most of the pros in the PBA, and I plan on being a donor for a while, but I thought that the benefits of membership outweighed joining too soon. Plus, even as a donor it will be a great experience to learn at the regionals. I also plan to bowl in 1 or 2 of the national TQR, so I look forward to that.

However, for some reason I end up doing much better in tournaments on hard patterns than on my league house shot, so maybe I do at least have a chance to cash. smile

#22993 - 04/19/06 11:11 AM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
Wire1090 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Allentown, PA
Good luck!
16lb Storm Spare Black

#22994 - 04/19/06 11:33 AM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
lorok Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/male/albuquerque
i hope to be making the very same post in a year or so. good luck!

#22995 - 04/19/06 12:08 PM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
Pin Bomber, first suggestion - DON'T think that you are going to be a donor, be positive, thinking that you are only going to be a donor can be looked at as negative thinking.
- Watch the experienced guys and learn from them
- Don't let yourself be intimidated by the fact that there may (since Harry hasn't posted the entry list online yet) be an exempt player or two here.
- Make you spares, I know, you already know this, but in order to make them, you have to leave makable ones to shoot at.

Most of all RELAX and enjoy the experience, and have fun.

The first one is always nerve-wracking, just don't let it get to you. Also, since I think you are talking about the one in Lakeland, FL, Regioanl pattern 1 is (in my opinion) a little easier than some of the others and will let you pay a veriety of lines. I've had my best success on that pattern playing a breakpoint somewhere around 5-7, although I have seen guys being successful on it playing up the ditch.

Also, I would suggest not using dull balls unless you have a lot of ball speed. Most of the success I seen on this pattern have been with polished or pearlized equipment drilled with something other than a leverage layout. Ball control is critical, skid-flip doesn't work well on these patterns.

Good luck

#22996 - 04/19/06 02:27 PM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

good luck, and bring back some cash! Be confident in every shot you make, and try not to let the nerves get the best of ya. Let the lanes tell you where to play.

#22997 - 04/19/06 04:31 PM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
bigwavedave Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Seattle
hehehehe, I will be doing the same thing in exactly a month in Seattle!!! Good luck!!!! I joined 2 weeks ago. I can tell u I got the same advice as Erin gave, don't let 1 bad game kill u. I shot 645 on the front 3 of a 6 game set and 750 to end up leading in the end a while back! Game is more mental than anything when it comes to tournaments. You have to pay attention to every shot!

bimmer thanks for the info on pattern 1. That is what will also be in Seattle. I was going to ask on the PBA forums....

Have a tourney every other week for next 2 months!!!!

#22998 - 04/19/06 11:47 PM Re: 1st PBA Regional...advice?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

I was reading at the pba site about how to join and the cost. During the summer I will join my first sanctioned league. I think its 14 weeks atleast, and if I can carry a 200 avg, will that make me eligible to join? That is what I interpreted from the site. I will get a small experience of my first tourney in May. Two different teams have asked if I could bowl with them. I'm excited! Hopefully I will be able to tweak my game some by then. I've been bowling consistant 600 sets, anywhere b/t 610-630 in our Wednesday night "big boy" sanctioned league. I know I will need to step it up by then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 03:49 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/08/20 04:33 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.