BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22618 - 02/22/06 10:35 PM which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Good Times Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 18/Male/NY
I only own one ball, a spare ball, and I was looking into getting my first strike ball, but I can only afford one, and I know they make different kinds for different conditions like heavy oil medium oil etc, but I was wondering, which type should I get that would do fairly well on most conditions? I know it won't be perfect on each condition, but I want to get one that will do well on as many lane conditions as possible since I can only afford one right now.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#22619 - 02/22/06 10:50 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
To get just one ball, I think the best bet would be to get a medium-oil ball with a medium strength drilling layout on it. From there you can either polish or sand the ball down for your needs. If you are in a league, you will know ahead of time what kind of oil you have and can adjust your ball ahead of time. You can also keep some scotch-brite pads with you as well to adjust when you go to different houses or have different conditions.

Another option depending on how much money you are looking to spend is to look at the Brunswick Power Groove balls. You could almost get 2 of them for the price of an expensive high-end ball, and the Power Grooves are very good from what I hear. This way you could have 2 different reacting balls.

Good luck!

#22620 - 02/22/06 11:12 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I would go with Columbia. Columbia seems to make a wide variety of balls that suit every type of bowler. The Columbia Panic is a great mid range ball. The Hyde, Dr. Hyde also.

If your shop does not carry much Columbia I'd go with something from the Brunswick BVP line. Very good ball reaction for the money and they have a variety of coverstocks for less or more hook. And, for me, the Moster Bruiser is still a favorite mid range ball from Brunswick.

I would not go with a Scout, Tornado, Tropical Storm or Groove. I don't think they will be significantly different then your plastic ball and you'll grow out of them too fast and want more reaction. Talk to your Pro Shop about it and ask them to watch you bowl a few frames to judge what would work best for you.

Erin

#22621 - 02/23/06 08:10 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Good Times Offline
Bantam

Wow, thanks that really helped. I was looking at two balls that I'm trying to decide between now:

Brunswick Power Groove Black Sparkle Proactive and Brunswick Power Groove Reactive. Whats the difference betweem particle and reactive, they both sound really good.

Oh, Brunswick BVP Nemesis also caught my eye.

If anyone has any recommendations from here as to which to go with and/or stay away from, I'd appreciate it. I can use the help since I still don't really know what's what as far as ball selection goes. smile

#22622 - 02/23/06 08:44 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Logan Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/Male/California
Go with the Nemesis, the Power Groove reactive hooks on dry but anything oily and you throw it like a plastic ball. I havent tried the black sparkle, i imagine it is inbetween power grove and nemesis.
just my .02 .

Logan
Columbia Blue Dot

#22623 - 02/23/06 10:30 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
I have never used the Power Groove myself, so I don't want to give any major endorsement on them-I just heard they were good, mid-priced balls. I've heard good things about the Nemesis too, and if people who have used them suggest them, I would go with that.

#22624 - 02/23/06 10:53 PM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
If I could only buy one ball, it would have to be a matte surface, medium oil ball. The reason is that you could more easily tune the cover to be used on almost any condition. A medium rg, medium differential, matte ball would be a good benchmark ball. A good ball to read the lanes with. I would go with any mid range, matte ball from any company. Whatever you like. I will not be like some others who will push one company over another. I have had success with each company, even Columbia ( They make my White Dot that I couldn't live without ).

BVP Nemisis ( Brunswick )
Heat Blast ( Track )
Screamin' Banshee ( Storm )
Hot Rod Super Sport ( Storm )

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#22625 - 02/24/06 11:07 AM Re: which type of ball works best on most lane conditions?
Good Times Offline
Bantam

Okay thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all the help. I'll go with the BVP Nemesis, since that's what everyone seems to be suggesting. Thanks so much.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.