BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22251 - 01/31/06 11:29 AM Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
For those who haven't taken time to read the tips on the main page, take a look at the newest tip from Tom Blasco, titled "Into the Season". While it isn't really a tip, but some of his observations, much of what he says is very true. In fact, there wan't one point that I really disagreed with. His comments are a very clear statement and observation as to the state of bowling today.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#22252 - 01/31/06 01:27 PM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
Wire1090 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Allentown, PA
1) Thank you for pointing out that little link up top there smile Maybe I can set aside some of my future questions with some reading of all those tips!

2) That is one deep article. Being new to the world of "league bowling," there is a a lot going on that people like myself (want to get better, are actually trying, but don't have that education on technique/oil patterns/ratios/particle breakdown/could go on for days) dont know anything about.

My league is almost a family league. Most of the people are related and friends of the family. I am 3rd in my league with a 176 average. Top average is a 192. There is really nobody there striving to get better, to be more involved in our bowling community. They just want to have fun. Bowling is fun. Its the only game where you can be "perfect" frequently without a ton of skill.

So...I guess I post a question after reading that article. Especially to the coaches/vets of the game out there...

How does a guy like me get "better"? All around better. Think back to when you 1st started getting serious about Bowling. Because thats where I am at. I want to be one of those guys who can "help" others and does participate at a higher level of Bowling.
16lb Storm Spare Black

#22253 - 01/31/06 03:24 PM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
There is nthing wrong with wanting to ahve fun while bowling. part of the problem is that it takes a lot less effort no to average 200, than it did in the past. Part of Tom's point is that too many bowlers don't want to work at getting better.

In thinking about how a bowler gets better today, first you have to want to, and as Tom said, most don't. You can only go so far without a coach, so, if you really want to get better, look for a coach in your area and make an appointment with him/her to figure out what you need to do to improve.

Since you are averageing about 176, that tells me that you have the basics down, but are probobly somewhat inconsistent, and you miss some easy spares. Focus on your spare shooting and trying to be consistent with you release and ball speed, AND make an appointment with a coach.

#22254 - 01/31/06 09:35 PM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I agree Bimmerman.

Like I mentioned in another thread, most people "think" they are working at getting better when they really are not putting enough effort, dedication and persistance in the goal. They do not subscribe to magazines, they do not read books, they do not go to clinics, they do not take lessons. But somehow....expect to get better.

Bowlers that are self taught will even out at a certain level. At that point without getting some consistent lessons you will not get better. If you wanted to play piano, you wouldn't expect to put on public concerts after taking 2 or 3 lessons.....right? Even if you did teach yourself how to play some tunes. One or two lessons is not going to cut it. And of course there are those rare self taught pianists that are wonderful. But I wouldn't bet on being one if I were you.

Once you have topped out at your own personal self taught level, you really have to step it up and put in much more time, and money (in lessons and clinics) into reaching your higher goals. It is harder to improve from 175 then it is from 145. so keep that in mind too. As your skill level increases, it gets harder and harder to improve. How do you get better from 210 to 225? Its really hard. I wish I had gotten more serious at the age you are now Wire. But I didn't. I was doing other things/hobbies and bowling wasn't a priority. You are still young. You have time on your side. At 175 you should be able to make a good jump in average with some good coaching and hard work. Set the summer aside, take weekly (YES WEEKLY) lessons and practise tons. See how you do.

Erin

#22255 - 01/31/06 10:00 PM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Family leagues are fun, but most like yours are not going to challange you or your game very much. I bowled for years in one and never got any better, nor learned about the game.

Taking lessons, coming here, and practicing at different houses has improved my game more in 3 months than 10 years of leagues. Some leauges like one of mine, have a side pool for high scratch game and series, and I find that keeps me on my toes and striving to do better. Tournaments are also a good way to test your game and give you a goal to work on.

Good luck!

JD

#22256 - 02/01/06 01:05 AM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
lorok Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/male/albuquerque
well, about the state of bowling today, it's true. i don't know how it used to be. i wasn't in leagues 20 or more years ago, and don't know the type of people who participated. although i find it hard to imagine that it would be that different from today. mostly people having fun, the minority being the scratch bowlers with a sub-minority again of bowlers who are true students of the game. i am, however, aware of the opinions of long time bowlers when it comes to things like balls and lane conditions. i can understand the feeling of disenchantment when someone who has bowled for years can watch some kid throw thumbless and score 250. what i don't understand is why these folks don't see this as an opportunity to gain an edge. i don't understand why the scratch bowlers don't want a sport league. sure, the averages would drop some but it would also be a means of spotting and correcting problem areas of one's game. i haven't found anyone in this town yet that will shoot the sport shot with me on sundays (the only day one can be found in this town of almost 1 million people with 7 bowling centers). i don't understand why people don't learn about different drillings, coverstock adjustments, releases etc. to give them that little extra bit of pin carry. all i ever hear is, "i was in the pocket." well, sure, you hit the pocket but your ball rolled out and hit like a ****. i don't understand why people only have one ball. i don't understand why people don't clean their balls or have them maintained. i don't understand why people don't switch balls when they should. i don't understand alot of things about most bowlers. maybe i'm just too much of a newbie, but i believe i have the potential to elevate my game to the level of tournament bowler, if not pro. i try to learn everything i can about the game. i try to do things that i don't want to do, because there may be a day where that thing will save me. i try to gain every advantage possible when bowling against someone, be it watching them and their line/ball reaction/drilling to using the best equipment/line i can for that one extra pin that may win the game. i practice every single day. and i don't mean bowl every day, i mean practice: pick a part of the game i want to improve and focus on it. a couple weeks ago my coach told me that when he was on the tour his average was 5 pins lower than w.r.w. jr. what's that, one mark per 10 games? and that 5 pins was the difference of $30000 a year vs. $150,000 a year. i've taken that to heart, although it doesn't hold true for me yet. i don't know, i'm all for the u.s.b.c. to make some changes to bowling. i'd love to play on a harder shot. i'd be in favor of anything that would make me more accurate, anything that is going to make the average league bowler's flaws show because i know that i have the ability to improve and exploit their inadequacies. i don't know, like i said...maybe i'm just a noob and i'll get slapped in the face with reality someday. but until then, look out behind you cause i'm coming up! (by the way, today celebrates one year of bowling for me!) sorry for the rant.

#22257 - 02/01/06 10:42 AM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
bigwavedave Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Seattle
Lorok,

How's the girl friend? I hope she is doing ok. Congrats on the 250+ when we bowled the other day. Where do they put out a sport shot in ABQ on sundays??? Holiday? I'm so there at least once a month! I have been trying to get them to do it in Espanola on saturdays for the kids wink and for afterwards when I have practice sessions with students.

I think a lot of the problems with Bowlers today is education and the lack of teachers and information. I have been back in the sport for just over a year and a half and so much has changed in 12 years. For sure averages are up, but that is surely due to equipment and oil patterns. I have been researching and tweaking my game ever since I moved to a larger city. Until this site I had no idea what a PAP was and how it was important to drilling a ball. I am a student of the game, but most are not.

One thing to understand is that "generally" the american public is lazy. The only thing I can compare it to is cars. Almost everyone drives a car, but 99.99% couldn't tell you anything besides where to put gas in and where to put the key to start it. Flash back 30 years ago and most people changed their own oil, rotated their own tires, and had a pretty good grasp on how a car operated.

The flip side of the coin is the bowling centers have to keep up with other bowing centers. If one places is putting out an easy shot and the other isn't people will migrate to some place they can shoot higher scores. So its really a double edge sword. What people don't realize is if they have a lower average on a harder shot, they will kick butt is tournaments. The way I describe this is shooting pool on a 4.5 X 9ft table and then playing pool on a bar table. Its like shooting ducks in a barrell. But most people only think of doing their best and people don't remember you for shooting 600 on a tough shot, they remember the 7 and 800's.

#22258 - 02/01/06 11:22 AM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by lorok:
i can understand the feeling of disenchantment when someone who has bowled for years can watch some kid throw thumbless and score 250. what i don't understand is why these folks don't see this as an opportunity to gain an edge.

<snip>

i'd be in favor of anything that would make me more accurate, anything that is going to make the average league bowler's flaws show because i know that i have the ability to improve and exploit their inadequacies.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">That right there is the crux of the issue with your better bowlers. the fact is, a 190 average bowler is able to average 220, while the 220 average bowler is averaging 230. Why don't a lot of high average bowlers want to bowl on a sport shot? Because they can't. A lot of them will be shooting the same scores as you lorok, and they don't want to deal with that. They like the fact that they're scoring with the better bowlers even if they're not one of them.

I in no way mean any disrespect to you so please don't take it that way. I think that you having a coach, practicing as much as you do and wanting to bowl on a tougher condition makes you a much better bowler than the 220 guys who only know how to grip and rip and send it right. I just personly find the current state of bowling to be very frustrating. I don't feel like the game I love gives me anything to feel proud about. A 300? People don't even clap anymore. I make shots that I know are bad and watch the ball crush the pocket. How can I get excited about shooting a big score when I know I dind't deserve it? But most bowlers don't care..

#22259 - 02/01/06 11:22 AM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I think a lot of the problems with Bowlers today is education and the lack of teachers and information. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">There is so much more information and coaching out there now for today's bowlers then there was say 15 even 10 years ago.

But I do think you have a good point that the public in general is pretty lazy. And bowling is not seen as something to work at. And that's fine with me; really. Because some people don't want to get better, they are social bowlers. They work all day and the last thing they want to do is work at something else when they come home.

I think we have to seperate out those bowlers that are happy being social bowlers as not the lazy ones. The ones that are lazy are the ones that keep trying and trying to get better, complain about not improving, but really don't invest in that goal. Many of the tips and points given in this web site are priceless. You cannot find them in books even if you bought every book on bowling out there. But its here for FREE. But how many would be interested in paying a monthly subscription price for the information gained on this site? I'll bet not that many, yet they want to get the information for FREE. And while it is free you might as well. Bowlers are not unlike other people, they want what they want but they want it for free, or cheaper, or somehow just get better through association. Perhaps the problem is not our sport at all. Rather its a social problem we have here in the US (at least) in general. The old timers blame the integrity of the sport, but its not the sport at all, its the integridy of our society.

Erin

#22260 - 02/01/06 01:15 PM Re: Tom Blasco's Latest Tip
lorok Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/male/albuquerque
hey, thanks for asking dave... she's doing fine. silva's has a youth sport league on sudays, and as far as i know they are the only place that puts out the sport shot. it's a little more expensive but i go throw at least three games there weekly. i think of the cost as learning to get better.

lefty, i took no offense. i actually thought you were complimenting me. i have been of the opinion lately that i'm already a better bowler than most of the people in my leagues. i just need to get the scores to prove it. but watching some of these guys releases, their balance (or usually lack thereof) at the line and just general form, fuggeddaboudit. i'm already way ahead of them. the thing is, i think most of these people learned how to score, while i'm learning how to bowl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.