BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20261 - 04/05/05 03:56 PM Re: good bowlers ?
TMorgan Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 33/M/Oklahoma
Very well said Bud. I have to agree with that assessment.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#20262 - 04/05/05 09:48 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Big Sarge Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 36/m/Illinois
Hello all. This subject drew me in and I thought that it would be only appropriate for my first post.

I would like to add the following into the mix of what a "good" bowler 'is'. A good bowler is one who freely and unselfishly offers help, advice, coaching and mentoring to others. A "good" bowler promotes the sport, not for personal gain , but in an effort to help expand the sports horizons and to bring the challenge, fun and joy to others. Good bowlers bring others in to see what a wonderful sport this is and how much enjoyment one can attain by hurtling a cursed ball at a bunch of stationary wood.

After years of involvement in several other competitive sports, I can tell you that one of the greatest things that bowing has going for it is the promotion and involvement at the grass routes level. I have seen this for years and years. Growing up in a bowling alley, I took it for granted. And over the last several days since coming across this site during my "rebirth" into bowling, I have witnessed that it has not died-not at all.

So I'm back. Back to this @#$$#%! game. I have been smitten again by one of my earliest loves. I have become active again thanks largely to all of you. You have drawn me back in. Thanks a bloody lot!!-lol

Big Sarge

#20263 - 04/06/05 02:14 AM Re: good bowlers ?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Sarge!!! you are so welcome back!! LOL

Your points are well taken and should be an inspiration for all of us.

Erin

#20264 - 04/06/05 06:29 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Headshot Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 53/M/Northern KY/Right-handed
Sarge.... Great to have you with us. This board has so many well informed people, it's very well worth the $1,000.00 a year membership. Oh wait! This board is free, but probably worth that much.
thumbsup

I know it has greatly improved my game. I just started back bowling about a year and a half ago; the equipment and lane conditions are a world apart from what they were 20 years ago.

The information you can gain from this site is comparable to reading every bowling book on the market; although I have bought most of them anyway. The people on this site fit the description you listed in your post, very helpful!
smile

#20265 - 04/06/05 10:13 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Big Sarge Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 36/m/Illinois
The wonderful thing about this forum is that everyone is genuinely friendly and out to help each other. Believe me that is not the case with forums for some of my other passions-pool most particulary. (I wont get started on this subject line or I will write a novel)

And..oh it is free??!! Then who is getting that check I mailed out?! Just as well it will bounce anyway after I buy this new ball and replace my bag.

#20266 - 04/07/05 10:18 AM Re: good bowlers ?
Averagely Unique Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: M/28/USA
I had to chime in on this largely due to the interesting head-to-head between vjmehra and Coach04 on the definition of 'consistent'.

I too am a Brit, vjmehra (and own a very good Oxford Concise). You are missing the wood for the trees man. Coach was correct in his assertions. Nobody would assume a consistent bowler was a consistently bad one - as nobody would wish to aim for such 'consistency'. In bowling, a consistent bowler is assumed to be a good one - one who can repeat a good shot and technique and whose scores don't fluctuate badly.

Man what a pointless attempt at contradiction! No offense. You don't need to be contrary just for the sake of it. Don't soil the British name with such irrelevancies!

It's true to say that a good bowler is not just one who scores well though, but is an ambassador for the sport - even at a local level, and helps others out whenever possible through sharing his/her knowledge and skills. A high-average bowler who never assists those who could benefit from it, is not a 'good bowler' but perhaps a selfish showboater!!

I haven't met too many like that - most are helpful and keen to support less experienced players. And everyone on this site is very supportive and helpful - therefore good bowlers!

PS vjmehra, I am sure the Oxford dictionary didn't tell you to spell the word 'consistant' - that would be bad!

;-)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 04/20/18 10:56 AM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.