BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20241 - 01/25/05 12:57 PM Re: good bowlers ?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Good vs. Great? I think anyone over 200 is a "good" bowler, just like a golfer in the 70/80's is a "good" golfer.

But "great"? Harder to define. In my opinion, the great bowlers I have seen are versatile. I've bowled in scratch tournaments against two men in particular who I would definitely consider "great". Tim Criss and Rich Wolfe, both current national tour members.

First of all, they are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Have a question? They will advise and help you if they can.

They have one thing in common, they are versatile. Yes, they might have a bad game or two here or there, but they ALWAYS find a way to get it done.

Tapered, blocked, reverse blocked, long oil, short oil...they find a way to get it done and finish at or near the top. And MOST of it is due to a strong mental game. Neither gets rattled easily by a 160 game. Class acts, whether they are bowling well or not.

To me, that is what makes someone "great".

I'll just stay happily at "good", especially in comparison to those two.

John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#20242 - 01/25/05 05:19 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Jack Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 75, Male, Fort Worth, TX
I agree with Erin and John, versatility is a great big plus, but I also feel that consistency will lead to versatility. I've bowled with Norm Duke, Gary Dickinson and several others, and it's amazing to watch them.

#20243 - 01/27/05 01:10 PM Re: good bowlers ?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

Jack, I will agree with you there. All the talent in the world, and the ability to be versatile wont help you if you havent "been there before". Just look at how nervous people get with their first 200, 600, 700...etc.

I've had tons of all of the above, so the only real "nerves" I feel anymore are the times I have a shot at 800. (which I still dont have in a league frown )

I guess you have to "progress" all the way through "good" in order to be great. Nerves have a way of making even the best bowlers choke.

You could say that I feel being consistently good and getting "used to all the attention" is necessary for awhile in order to move "up" to great. That's another ingredient in being great...comfort with being watched.

John

#20244 - 01/27/05 02:30 PM Re: good bowlers ?
vjmehra Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 24/M/London, England
Coach, I completely agree that a good bowler is consistant, but on this side of the pond at least consistancy does not have to be a positive thing (just checked this in the Oxford English dictionary (UK)), therefore a bad bowler could still be consistent, just consistently bad. Maybe in US English the term is defined differently?

#20245 - 01/27/05 03:44 PM Re: good bowlers ?
emperor Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/Bronx, NY
Just to augment the definition, how about a bowler who is clutch, when the pressure is on? Let's examine 10th frame scenarios, where a difficult spare is made or a bowler just punches out with a turkey. Added pressure (pin differential is so minute) can affect a "ok" bowler and he/she can choke. That's why I love position weeks!

#20246 - 02/01/05 11:09 AM Re: good bowlers ?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

Clutch bowling is part of it...there is no doubt about that. The really good bowlers can muster out a good 10th frame even when they have been struggling the entire game. How many times have we all seen that rock-solid anchor bowler struggle all game...then need a strike or a mark to win?

Regardless of average, the good bowlers get it done...somehow.

John

#20247 - 02/01/05 10:26 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
I've done that a few times, shoot better in the last frame when I really need it. Pressure seems to help my game.

#20248 - 03/07/05 03:31 PM Re: good bowlers ?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
I think what makes a good bowler is someone who has mastered the physical part of the game and who has a strong mental game. Another componet that makes a good bowler is someone who makes the time to practice, because if you don't make the time to practice how can you progress. But you also have to practice smart, meaning you have to organize your practice sessions. And the way you do it is to work on one thing at a time. The most time you should put in a practice session is no longe than an hour. If you practice more than an hour then you can overpractice and before you know it you bad habits can surface itself in your game causing a slump. I've been bowling for eight years and have a very solid physical game but my mental game is improving. Good luck and happy bowling.

#20249 - 03/10/05 12:20 AM Re: good bowlers ?
TMorgan Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 33/M/Oklahoma
IMO a good bowler isn't made on series, score, avg, or even multi-avg. I think in order to be a good bowler you just have to love the game no matter what it throws your way... Of course that's just my personal opinion.

I have averaged over 200 in 7 different houses that I have bowled in. But, I still think that's not what makes me a good bowler. I'm a good bowler because I enjoy bowling no matter what the score.

#20250 - 03/10/05 12:23 AM Re: good bowlers ?
TMorgan Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 33/M/Oklahoma
To add to my last post... and give my opinion on a great bowler. A great bowler to me is a good bowler that never admits to greatness...

One can never reach greatness if they think they have already achieved it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.