BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#20129 - 04/18/05 10:16 AM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
Hello Chris. Two comments were made that bear repeating. Erin advise a coach. Great answer. Mary Allen advised Video taping.

The reason why these are paramount to solving your slump dilemma is: If you just practice more you will only continue to ingrain your mistakes into your mental and muscular memories, which will make things worse.

A certified Bowling Coach whose sole purpose in Bowling life is to know your game can see your mistake sometimes more readily than you can and render a tried and true solution.

By using video equipment you are allowed to see your technique and criticized your own flaws. Even this takes a certain amount expertise to perform. Not to mention objectivism and acknowledgement of fault which sometimes eludes us as humans.

When Parker Bohn was in a two year slump, he got a coach. When Mike Aulby went into a prolonged slump he got a coach. When Pete Webber went into a prolonged slump, he got a coach. Must times we as humans need constructive outside help in the things that we endeaver to.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#20130 - 04/18/05 04:55 PM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
Rikki MC Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: F/Sunnyvale, CA
This past winter season was a continuation of my slump. Dropped about 3 pins from my entering average.

One of my teammates suggested that I come back out and practice with him and the other guys on Sunday mornings. (3 of the 4 regulars are scratch bowlers that easily carry 190+ averages.)

Got the blessing from my DH and began practicing with the "guys" (I'm the only female).

I've definitely seen improvement. It's amazing that practicing with these high average bowlers has helped me improve my own fundamentals. The guys will give me a tip now and then. And the Pro Shop owner has also given me some very good coaching tips.

I've been bowling better on league nights for the most part.

In typical female fashion, shopping and buying some new equipment sure helped my mood! So far, I've bought a new 3-ball roller, the Absolute Inferno, Dexter SS6 shoes, a spare ball, and subscription to Bowling This Month! laugh

#20131 - 04/18/05 05:21 PM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Rikki, sounds like you have made some very sound decisions. And your shopping choices ain't bad either. LOL

Practising is one aspect that many bowlers overlook. Bowling in league two or three times a week is not practising. And lets face it, if you bowl only three games a week, in one league a week, you really don't have much room to complain about not improving. You have to be pro active, and that means taking steps to do the work that will help you get better. Having higher level bowlers give you help and "pearls of wisdom" is a great way to learn lane transisions as well as some phsyical aspects of the game.

But as Darrell mentions, you want to make sure you are getting good advise (either from a coach or higher level bowlers that know what they are doing), or you will just continue bad habits that got you into the slump. I typically mention getting a coach first, because they are not going to give you bad information. However, higher level bowlers, are not always as knowledgable as their scores might show.

Erin

#20132 - 04/18/05 06:14 PM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
SnitGTS Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/NJ
A couple years ago I was slumping hard core, I was running about 10 pins below my usual average and I was having no fun at all. I ended up skipping the summer league I usually bowled in, came back in fall for my winter league and I was out of my funk! So I don't know if you bowl in a summer league, but maybe some time away from the game could do you some good too? Just a thought.

#20133 - 04/18/05 09:46 PM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
Rikki MC Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: F/Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks, Erin!

The guys that I practice with are very knowledgeable . They are not the type to overwhelm a person with coaching tips. If they see that I'm consistently doing something totally off base, they may suggest something for me to try. They are kind of picky as to whom they coach, too.

I should have mentioned that each one has excellent fundamentals. But even they will struggle from time to time, depending on the lane conditions.

Another fun thing about practicing early on Sunday with the guys is that we often watch the PBA telecast between frames. thumbsup

I'm definitely of the mindset...

When the going gets tough, the tough go SHOPPING! rotfl

#20134 - 04/24/05 06:22 AM Re: Getting in and out of a funk.......
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
If you're in a slump, go back to your fundamentals and work on it (Norm Duke stated this once, just can't remember when or where). It's even better working through it with a good, competent coach.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.