BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200296 - 09/21/21 06:09 PM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 65 M /Georgia
Almost tempted to buy another All-road at Bowlersmart for $80.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#200297 - 09/22/21 11:56 PM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 74/m/IL
I've been bringing a different ball to start with each week in our senior league amd this was the week for the Hy-Road Max. Messed around in warm up and still didn't find a good spot. Got through to about fram 4 or 5 and I was standing on about board 27 and targeting board 12 at the dots. A bit later I moved one board with my feet and eyes to the right. Stayed there for the rest of the session. Was right around 180 on each game and was quite happy how things went.
The ball picked up very early and still had a good move on the backend. I must have had wide path to play in this morning... smile

#200298 - 09/23/21 04:54 AM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 73/M/California
Watched a YouTube video by Mo Pinel where he explains how to drill a low-flare bowling ball. I took a Roto Grip Hustle RAP and drilled it 90 x 1-3/4 x 45. It's now my favorite ball. I'm 73 and can't generate speed like I use to. The low-flare ball hooks more like urethane but isn't as weak as urethane. It allows me to remain right of 30 with my feet and bang the pocket anywhere outside 10. If it has a down-side, anything right on the beak is a split. Ended last year averaging 199. So far this year 213. Anyone who wants to try something new might try low-flare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvMkDIllTY4

#200299 - 09/23/21 12:55 PM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 74/m/IL
I bought a Hustle RAP not long ago. Tried it a few times and I was disappointed thus far. I manipulated my thumb hole tape and it seems to feel a bit better. I'll give it a try again. I got it to replace my IQ Tour 30 which cracked several months ago.
The Tour had a distinctive motion to it and I miss it a lot. I hope I can get the RAP going and have it simulate the IQ. Watched a review of the Hustle Wine and it looked pretty good by getting into a roll nicely. Maybe I can get my RAP to do similar things. We'll see... Good idea on the short pin drilling BTW...

#200303 - 10/07/21 09:04 PM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
I got a Brunswick Twist which is supposed to be very weak. I don't use it much, it either goes straight as an arrow or over reacts on dry. My problem of being a low tilt bowler with no speed really kills me in dry conditions.

14lbs Track Strata Solid
14lbs DV8 Verge Solid
14lbs DV8 Intimidator Solid
14lbs DV8 Instigator
14lbs Motiv Venom Shock Solid

Secondary

14lbs Brunswick Twist Pearl
14lbs DV8 Tactic Control Urethane

#200304 - 10/07/21 10:14 PM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline

Try a 'low-flare' drilling layout. I have a PAP of 5-1/4 over and 3/8 down. For low-flare I drilled a 'Roto Grip Hustle RAP' 90 x 1-3/4 x 45.

There's also a Mo Pinel YouTube video on low-flare drilling.

The only downside I've noticed, if your ball rolls too far and you hit the nose, it won't break-down as many splits.

#200305 - 10/08/21 01:07 AM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: BOSStull]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

I am high track bowler as well low tilt unfortunately. As such, I use Mo Pinel's Control Layout for High Track layouts on my balls.

https://radicalbowling.com/uploads/downloads/Layouts/radical-layouts.pdf

The layout I have on the Twist is 85x4.5x45. For the most part, this layout has worked well for me on most of my balls as it's a fairly weak layout.

Here's a vid of one of the few times I've been able to bowl with it.

https://youtu.be/KsFLnvpesOo

Edited by goobee (10/08/21 01:08 AM)

14lbs Track Strata Solid
14lbs DV8 Verge Solid
14lbs DV8 Instigator

Secondary

#200307 - 10/08/21 05:19 AM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline

The Twist is a symmetric ball, so the drilling angle (85) really doesn't mean anything. All you have is pin-to-PAP and VAL angle to play with. There are a number of things that you can do to get the ball down the lane easier;

First, consider playing around with finger-pitch and also your ring-finger span. I was also high-track 6-3/16 over and 3/8 down. Changing my pitches and reducing my ring-finger span changed my PAP to 5-1/4 over and 3/8 down. It's much easier to get the ball down the lane with more tilt. Mo Pinel also has a how-to video for that. High-track players are ring-finger dominant. By reducing the ring-finger span, you reduce that dominance.

Secondly, consider a longer pin-to-PAP. Go from 4.5 to 5 or even 5.25. This change will stand the core more upright making your ball go longer. Opening up the VAL angle from 45 to 50 will also give you more length. I use 45 on weak balls, but 50 for more aggressive balls. My Hustle is 90 x 1-3/4 x 45 for dry lanes and I have a UC2 drilled 50 x 5 x 50 for fresh oil. A wider VAL angle may also conserve RPM's down lane. I find I leave fewer 10's.

Finally, after watching your video, you hit up on the ball pretty good at the release point. You might want to relax your wrist and work on using a softer release. Let the ball do more work and you do less work. You may discover the ball rolls better at the end, you'll get more RPM's and you might even get more speed. Try to deliver the ball into the lane and remove loft. At our age, less is more.

We will never get any stronger, so we need to get smarter. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it :-)

#200308 - 10/09/21 01:16 AM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: 82Boat69]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Yeah, my PSO has been trying to get me to go down a similar path. I gave him carte blanche to drill up a ball that he felt would be most beneficial due to my health limitations. He changed my finger pitch by a lot, so that my fingers were more relaxed. Instead of coming out of the ball like I do now, he wanted me to stop my arm as I released the ball. As you suggested, he also me to let the ball do the work.

I tried it for a bit, couldn't get comfortable and went.

My release goes back to the 80's when balls didn't hook out of the box as they do now. This same release barely moved the ball back then for a down and in shot. If you wanted your ball to move, you had to put "stuff" on it.

Now that I'm much older with bad health, it's time to make the change if I want to continue bowling.

14lbs Track Strata Solid
14lbs DV8 Verge Solid
14lbs DV8 Instigator

Secondary

#200309 - 10/09/21 01:35 AM Re: The price of new bowling balls [Re: goobee]
82Boat69 Offline

I'm 73 and it's really tough to make physical changes. The best way is to try anything new with a 1-step drill. That slows everything down and makes it easier to feel what's happening.

I also use physical check-points during my approach to help me stay physically accurate, otherwise I can be all over the place.

I have a 5-step, so my first check is to flex my wrist and relax my grip pressure. The next check is to make certain I start my ball on my second step. The next check is to make sure I have a proper cross-over step. Next, I want my ball dropping down and swinging back as relaxed as possible. Next, I want my 4th step a little shorter to give me a nice leverage position on my 5th step/slide. Next, and this is really tough, I need to wait for the ball to move forward without my help. Being relaxed at the bottom increases RPM's and ball speed. Finally, I like to have a solid finish position. At 73, with back surgery and shoulder surgery, I don't have classic form, but I can post up most of my shots.

The 1-step for making changes is the best tip.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
The price of new bowling balls
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 08:57 PM
Bowling for Peanuts
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 08:18 PM
Fall Winter 2021 Leagues
by goobee - 10/18/21 02:35 PM
Plugging balance holes
by 82Boat69 - 10/16/21 05:58 PM
New Center an League
by BOSStull - 10/16/21 02:57 PM
wanted a 1 ball roller bowling bag
by goobee - 10/10/21 06:05 PM
Bowling Bag Prices
by goobee - 10/10/21 05:28 PM
How much does drilling take out of balls?
by goobee - 10/09/21 05:24 PM
2022 Open Championship
by goobee - 10/09/21 04:28 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.