BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200105 - 01/22/20 11:44 AM This is a damned shame
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I have been on this site for a lot of years. And, I feel I have witnessed an old friend DIE.

there have been many useful comments, recommendations and great comradery.
I've met a few from here and they were just as friendly in person. I currently bowl with one. Have been since we met.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#200108 - 01/24/20 07:53 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: Dennis Michael]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 64/M /Georgia
Still here Dennis. Yeah most have migrated to Facebook groups. I still jump on here a couple times a week to see if any new post. I am going to urge my team members to join this week. I would like to see a little more activity.

#200111 - 01/26/20 05:10 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I still pop on from time to time too. It is a shame, I feel like there is more than enough going on in bowling at all levels to talk about here.

Mark

#200124 - 02/24/20 06:12 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: Dennis Michael]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I still check in to see how everyone is too. I bowl so rarely, now, it slips my mind, but I used to spend so much time on here studying and learning, that even if I'm not bowling much, I still think about you guys.

This weekend I did drive the 400 mile round trip to bowl in the Tucson city tournament with my old team mates from several years ago. Always nice to see old friends, and the city I used to call home.

And despite not having thrown a single shot in months and months, and only owning one ball now (a Purple Hammer) I did manage a 216, 256, 268 for 740 in doubles. That's my best ever tournament series. My team mate added 610. I think 1350 will net us a nice finish in the scratch finals. (I don't have a book average anymore, so no handicap for me.)

The other series were more in line with what I expected. 556 in Team, and 488 in singles. Yikes.

Now I'm starting to plan the trip to Reno for Nationals this year. This will be my 7th consecutive, and I really can't wait. I'll be the guy walking down center isle with a purple hammer and shoes in hand. Keep it simple.

Hope everyone is doing well.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#200146 - 03/17/20 07:43 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: Dennis Michael]
BOSStull Offline

I feel like I am posting to myself again

#200148 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: BOSStull]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
You're not. Most just monitor this sight unless something really interesting comes along. COVID-19 has everyone's attention right now.

#200170 - 05/31/20 08:48 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: Dennis Michael]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Hi Dennis and others, interesting post...

I agree, there use to be many posts put up daily across many of the different message forums here.. Is this just the state of the popularity of bowling? Or people finding other pursuits and hobbies? Covid-19 certainly hasn't helped frown..Also other forums for bowling discussion (Facebook ) may well have contributed to declining posts also.
We are also dealing with a society, that can click on You Tube and get countless videos on bowling.. For many, this is easier than taking the effort in a real discussion.. We have a very apathetic society I'm afraid..

There was a time where I was bowling two to three times a week, regularly checking in daily on this wonderful site.. Now, it's the "regulars" here I see who are still here.. I have had starts and stops over last few years with bowling, I also have other hobbies cycling and golf which keep me quite busy, but start of this year came back to it, bowling once a week to get started again, then Covid came along and sidelined that..

For ALL of you who have posted on this forum, I thank you, I perhaps don't get involved as often as I perhaps could, or should!! However it would be sad to see this become like a few other bowling sites that I have seen decline.. It is YOU who keep people coming back, and YOU who will help encourage others to sign up and ask questions. This site has given me countless suggestions and help when I have asked. A lot of nice genuine people here as well..

Please stay, keep involved with posting, encourage others, spread the word in your leagues... I will do what I can, for my part..

Dennis, I remember reading your posts when I first started on here, always intelligent, honest and helpful advice/discussions... As are all the above posters on this discussion, who I have seen their names/posts many times before.

My own national bowling forum site, is a shell of what it use to be! Sad frown

Keep the faith, keep the posts up.. The time and effort that all of you put into posting and creating interest on this site is appreciated..Respect
Looseleftie

#200172 - 06/01/20 01:13 AM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: looseleftie]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
I think most people are counter-punchers. They respond to a post but never lead with one.

Where I bowl, Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes, they've used this shutdown as an opportunity to install newer lanes, gutters, approaches, ball returns and settee areas. They're also remodeling the house-ball racks.

I think because the profit margin is so narrow for bowling, it's tough for owners to do what's necessary. As a result many bowling centers get run down which adds to the poor public image that bowling has developed over the years.

When I watch bowling from other countries, I'm astounded by house modern the bowling centers are compared to here.

#200173 - 06/01/20 06:49 AM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I know that my center also took the opportunity to do work. I'll be curious to see what they have done other than what they said about fixing equipment as they have been secretive about other changes in appearance. I'd like new ball returns with storage for spare balls under the return.

I'm really looking forward to the PBA starting again on Saturday if even for a special event.

Mark

#200180 - 06/20/20 05:09 PM Re: This is a damned shame [Re: Dennis Michael]
BOSStull Offline

Still posting. Dennis has not been on since January. Hope he is still OK.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - Today at 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.