BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200155 - 03/27/20 11:37 AM Re: Quitting my League [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
We were progressively shutting everything down here in NJ over the last 2 weeks. Our last night of league was the 13th. The last day my school district had students in school was the 12th. All schools were ordered to close by the 17th. Our leagues were shut down when NJ instituted an 8 pm curfew on the 16th and the center closed about 2-3 days later before the non-essential business shut down in NJ occurred last weekend. Things are not great here. I live and bowl in a part of NJ that has a significantly lower population density than the parts closer to NYC, however the three counties that make up my association combined have more total cases than 23 states currently do.

Not that it is important now considering the growth in cases, but I fear many centers might not survive this. Many other businesses besides bowling too.

Mark

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#200156 - 03/27/20 07:20 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 64/M /Georgia
And now in my county

A stay-at-home order was issued jointly by the county and its cities Friday afternoon, mandating residents to stay at home except to conduct essential business needed for their health and safety as a way of reducing opportunities for the disease to spread. All non-essential businesses will be forced to close because of the order.

I am considered as essential so I will still be working but will not be making contact with the public. Bowling is pretty much shut down.

I have heard a few bowling leagues are shutting down and are opting to give the centers their prize fund. I really think this is a good idea and would be willing to do the same but they would have to cancel the remaining of the season for me to do so.

#200158 - 05/02/20 05:43 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

League is starting back end of May but I am done till fall league. I am opting out of the league. COVID-19 is over 2000 cases confirmed in our county and still new cases everyday. I think it is too early to bowl. My opinion we should just cancel the league and if you you still want to bowl well there is the summer league. It usually starts up mid May but that wont happen of you finish the winter league. One way or another a league will get cancelled. Bowling Centers opened up on April 24 so my Pro Shop will be open. I can work on getting old balls plugged and new ones drilled before Fall. My Pro Shop does maintenance on all balls for $100 bucks for a year so thinking I will go ahead and let him perform De-oiling and new surface on everything I have and it is a lot.

#200159 - 05/03/20 07:41 AM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

We are nowhere close to that happening yet in NJ. Our league officers got in contact with us to let us know there will be some plan in place when the times comes. I don't know what the center is thinking, I know I have seen people online around the country talk about finishing this fall during the summer and canceling the summer leagues. I'd be OK if we just ended the fall league, we only would miss a little less than 2 months. Will have to wait and see.

Mark

#200160 - 05/03/20 08:14 AM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
I'm not as afraid of dying as I am of not living.

I'd be willing to sign a waiver to practice as long as there was 2 lane etiquette in place.

We can't just hunker down and wait for the entire economy to tank. I don't know many who can survive economically on government handouts and that applies to the government too. We need some herd immunity and we won't get that without taking some risks.

I remember polio in the early 50's. Some got sick and suffered terrible consequences, but we didn't shut down the world. The media has made everyone paranoid and the fear of litigation has businesses running for cover. Some common sense legislation could free up employers and customers to make their own choices.

Right now, everyone is more misinformed than informed and that won't change without seeing what actually happens as people get out more.

#200161 - 05/03/20 07:43 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 73/m/IL
Hey, I'm with you Boat!
Wonder if your governor or mine will sign off on that waiver??? smile No way. If they signed off on it, perhaps Trump might have an even higher chance of winning the 2020 election.

#200162 - 05/03/20 09:44 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Slow Joe is sliding into dementia too quickly to save. Trump wins in a landslide.

If eveyone is still hanging around their houses in November, it won't matter who wins. The world will be bankrupt and so will all the bowling centers.

If the nation is bankrupt, we'll need someone who passed a math class running things. That leaves out all liberals.

We'll need another war to get the economy cranked up again. Kick-start the military-industrialize complex again.

Could get ugly. I'd rather take my chances. Go down swinging, not safe in my bed.

#200163 - 05/10/20 07:57 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

I went ahead and opted out of my league. League is starting back May 13 with no lane separation although a single team on one lane but other team is still next to you. Why even bother. S&S will be open will just bowl practice Sunday mornings. I will get my bowling fix then. Hardly anyone there then anyway. They will have at least separation. Hopefully they will still oil the lanes as before. I am really not worried about myself but my wife is very high risk and I would not want to be the one that passes COVID-19 to her.

As for the economy yeah people need to get back to work. Quarantine the high risk not the whole population. As for the political view Trump is still the best option out there we are headed for a rapid downfall if Biden is elected.

#200164 - 05/10/20 09:27 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

The incomplete league seasons were cancelled by our center. We're exploring the option of finally going to a 4 person next season and that might work well since one of our teammates is planning on not bowling in the league next season to spend more time with his daughters as they participate in school sports and activities.

It is sad what has happened in NJ nursing homes. The nursing home you had likely heard about in the news last month is responsible for more than 1/2 the Covid-19 deaths in that county. The story is not as bad elsewhere in the state for long term care facilities, but is rather similar.

Mark

#200165 - 05/16/20 11:02 PM Re: Quitting my League [Re: Mkirchie]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Earlier today, I saw on social media that the center where I bowl is actually taking this time to invest in repairing equipment and is also working on improvements in appearance. I am surprised, I wonder if they were planning on doing this if this had not happened.

Mark

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.