BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200011 - 07/15/19 11:07 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Good stuff Champ. As much as I was frustrated about my lefty partner for using urethane at Nationals I'm considering pulling the trigger and getting one myself (although I am the only lefty on my team FWIW). Just frustrated with the shot on this Monday night league. Went 550, 554 the last 2 weeks and tonight squeaked out a 600 (178, 212, 210). Not bad but expected higher with how well I bowled tonight. Have zero hold and I feel like I have to throw it perfectly (release, speed, line, etc) to strike. Did do that on a lot of shots but had a fair number of splits as well with quite a few of them coming on shots that I really liked off my hand. All of my opens came on splits so my spare shooting was on point as well.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#200019 - 07/22/19 12:44 AM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: wronghander]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: wronghander
Good stuff Champ. As much as I was frustrated about my lefty partner for using urethane at Nationals I'm considering pulling the trigger and getting one myself

The guys I bowl with all love urethane. Two of them have been doubles partners since the early 80s. One only owns a Black Hammer from 1982, another has a Blue, Blue Pearl, and Burgundy. They love to talk about how much they love urethane. I've been listening to it so long, when I finally got one, it was like joining the club.

I haven't had a chance to use it again on a fresh shot, but I've gone practicing again twice, and I've been very impressed. The biggest issue is 10 pin carry. I have to hit up on it. If I miss one at the bottom, it won't carry.

But over/under hasn't been an issue. No strange leaves and very few balls that end up as less than a 9 count. The motion is so consistent, you have to throw it really badly to get a weird result. Throw it good and its just a matter of carry.

I'm really happy with mine. I've been able to play it up the three board, and a fall-back shot crossing fifth arrow. Two extremes I've never even tried with reactive. Being that I don't bowl much anymore, and I'm not that worried about score, its been a fun experience.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#200022 - 07/30/19 12:17 AM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Champ that is good info. I hope to be able to talk to my PSO this weekend about it. I have more rotation now and even my pin down balls have a jerk-snap reaction for me. So even on the house shot I think a urethane could work for me. I tried changing my release but I don't really want to have to throw it worse to get the ball to react differently.

Tonight actually got off to a great start with the front 6, throwing my pin down Ridiculous Asym. Played up 10, finished that game with 255 and followed it up with 220. 3rd game however was a disaster, 172. My line went away and moving in just made matters worse cause I could not find any kind of hold to avoid the ball going high. If I moved outside the ball would whiff the headpin. Toward the end I figured out I had to move outside AND point it at the pocket but carry was inconsistent. I think this is where a urethane would have helped me stay in the pocket the 3rd game.

Team took 21 out of 26 though and my average went up 3 pins to 192 so going in the right direction anyway.

#200025 - 08/02/19 09:09 AM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
week 12 of 15 ended Wed with us tied for first in our division. There are 4 divisions in this 32 team league. And, the top 2 of each division advance to the playoffs. Both of us are 10 points ahead of the next highest point total team, in any division.

There is no rule about prebowling, and one of our players has taken full advantage of that. He has missed 7 of the 12 weeks, and has averaged over 230 doing it. That's 20 over his normal league average.

It has not been unusual to see 3 of our 4 shoot over 700 on the night. The shot is not easier in Summer, but they do use a different viscosity oil because of humidity. Very surprised this could be the difference.

BTW, I'm having the best success with my old Lane Master particle Urethane ball. I think it's because it fits so well. Damn, and that ball driller retired a couple of years ago.

Had the front 5 in game 2 and a four bagger in each other game. All runs stopped by a solid 9 pin.

Edited by Dennis Michael (08/02/19 09:11 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#200027 - 08/02/19 02:17 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
Happy for you Dennis. Sounds like you're kicking pretty well.

#200033 - 08/05/19 11:00 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Good bowling Dennis. FWIW I really dislike prebowling and I think people abuse it. My leagues don't allow individual prebowling at all and I think that's the way it should be for all leagues. Can prebowl as a team if you can't field a legal lineup, that's it.

Did see my PSO over the weekend and discussed getting a urethane ball but he said I would not like my carry and we decided to go with a mild reactive ball (Motiv Freestyle) with a tame drilling. Also found out that I had lowered my track and my PAP went from 5 left, 1 up to 4 1/8 left, 1/2 up. So quite a difference and no wonder even my pin down balls were jumping off the spot.

However the Freestyle never left my bag tonight, didn't need it. Shot was definitely not the same with a lot more oil in the middle. Got off to a slow start with 183 but came back with 223, 220 to end the night. Still couldn't miss outside but got away with a few tugs. 3 more weeks of this and then back to the house shot.

#200040 - 08/12/19 11:22 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Bowled pretty well tonight: 226, 206, 200. Average went up to 195 and after struggling the first half of the summer I've been consistently breaking 600 on a tough shot. Throwing it really good right now plus my accuracy is back to where it needs to be for the most part. Unfortunately our team got smoked and only took 3.5 points tonight and dropped from 4th to 7th but got 2 weeks left to see what we can do.

#200042 - 08/13/19 07:38 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: djp1080]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: djp1080
Happy for you Dennis. Sounds like you're kicking pretty well.

Actually, I'm sliding. Physical therapy must be working. I can bend my knee and hold my balance.

#200043 - 08/14/19 12:52 PM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
I'm not bowling right now. Had a bicycle mishap about 2 weeks ago and fell on my left knee (slide leg). Got back home on the bike which probably made things worse, not sure. Was stiff after that and had no swelling the first day. Slept okay. Ended up with much discomfort and decided to take Aleve to see if that would help. Had a hell of a time going up and down stairs. Could hardly bend my knee.
After a week and a half I'm doing better. Walked a mile and a half yesterday and I intend on trying to bowl next week.
Can bend my knee fully again and doing better with the stairs. Hope I can roll a ball okay next... smile

#200044 - 08/15/19 08:37 AM Re: 2019 Summer Leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hope so too, djp. It's rough not being able to fully use your left knee.

Payoff last nite. We were 6 down, in 2nd, and 7 ahead of 3rd. We needed to win 1 game to move into rolloff, top 2 in each Division.

Botton line, I sucked. After PT in morning, my legs felt like rubber. And, the lanes were really snappy, especially on the back end.

I had 8 splits, not able to get the ball out far enough or lessen my release. And, missed 5 makable spares, all 10 pins, hooking to the left with my spare ball. Just a horrible night and an important one.

We lost all 3 games. Not able to secure a rolloff place as the 3rd place team won all 7 points for a tie.

We had a 1-game rolloff after and lost that too. So, we finished by losing our final 7 games, falling out of first place in our division to 3rd.

I feel I caused it, or at least part of our downfall. Left with my head hanging low. Pretty dejected.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.