BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199984 - 07/07/19 04:52 PM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: champ]
82Boat69 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Ball popularity is directly related to the lanes and oil patterns of the day. I would suggest that even today's reactive resin or particle balls would be losers on the flat, deep oil patterns of the 50's and 60's. Same for lacquer. Oil patterns put down with a bug-sprayer and drag were spotty at best. So, to create a hall-of-fame, we need more parameters, otherwise we'll be comparing Lady Gaga, to The Mills Brothers :-)

Maybe wood, lacquer, synthetic, 'pre-lane machine' and $200K lane machines putting down perfectly blocked house shots?

I remember when what is called a THS was illegal. I also remember a short-oil period where 10 units for 20 feet gutter to gutter increased perfectos from 1000 a year to 30,000 a years. Goodbye diamond rings.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199985 - 07/07/19 09:29 PM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Online   content
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
What 82Boat69 said is exactly why I can't stand comparing athletes of different eras, I sort of find it to be a waste of time. You'll never get to see them compete against each other in their prime, so what is the point? I agree, more parameters do help. It might be good to also include per decade or cover to go along with lane surface/oiling as Boat mentioned.

Mark

#199986 - 07/08/19 04:58 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline

I started bowling in 1961 using a Brunswick Black Beauty. Back then all balls were simply different versions of industrial diamonds. I have to admit that Manhattan Rubber seemed to hook more than most and I owned one that was designated 'Hooktrol-C'. Another really popular ball in that decade was the AMF 'Magic Line'. It had 3 dots that showed a bowler their rev-rate, axis-tilt and axis-rotation. Toward the end of the 60's, Brunswick came out with the Trackmaster series which was their first attempt to designate exactly where the center of the weight block under the label was. Using that location, a bowler could maximize side-weight and top-weight. I went into the service in 1967 so was away from the game. But I would enter the Manhattan Rubber and the Trackmasters into the hall of fame simply because a bowler could 'knowingly' manage top and side weights 'before' a ball was drilled.

#199987 - 07/08/19 08:08 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Online   content
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Things were obviously a bit crazier for a new bowler about 30 years later. When I started bowling as a 9 year old, I was using house balls for 3 years. Then, my parents with no knowledge of pro shops or equipment got me a 12 lb Ebonite plastic ball drilled at a sporting goods store at the mall (I shot my first 200 game with that ball). It wasn't until I was close to turning 14 when I was changing to a 14 lb ball that we decided to go to the Pro Shop. He quickly informed my parents that the plan to get me another plastic ball was pointless and I wouldn't advance much more throwing a straight shot so I got a 14 lb urethane with a pancake block right when reactive resin was starting to take over. My first higher end ball was when I got my urethane Turbo and I wouldn't get my first reactive ball until I got my Sapphire Zone 3 years after resin became dominant.

#199988 - 07/08/19 09:25 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline

They only good thing about bowling balls in the 60's, you learned to turn the ball not your hand and most became good spare shooters. I lived in a town where there wasn't a single person averaging 200.

#199989 - 07/08/19 05:44 PM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: champ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I missed all the ball development as I didn't bowl for 26 years. I returned in '05 and found a completely new world of bowling. I had to learn alot and fast.

I don't know the names of all of those balls and I don't know how they were made or what they did. So, I am at a loss here.

All I know is, the old equipment I used, didn't work any more. I talked with the Pro Shop and got totally confused. So, I took time and learned.

My first real purchase was a Danger Zone then a Blue one and a red one. I don't even remember their names. Balls weren't given names when I bowled. It was only the company name on it.

I can only attest to what balls worked for me and they are all Lane Master balls. They are not even made any longer. But, I still carry 4 to the lanes every night.

I have purchased newer equipment and shelved them all, going back to the reliable arsenal. The balls in my bag are 11, 10 and 9 years old. And, a 30+ year old plastic ball, made in China, by Ebonite.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199990 - 07/08/19 08:04 PM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: Dennis Michael]
82Boat69 Offline

Except for material hardness, hard rubber, polyester and urethane all hooked relative to their surface and there was very little dynamic weighting. The Faball Black Hammer had a core, but the core was spherical with just a little hockey-puck at one end. The original Hammers probably flared 1/2 inch to 1 inch at most.

I don't remember any balls having significant flare until the middle 90's. I think reactive-urethane was still predominant and spherical cores were the most common. Once the surface and flare were combined, the lid was off. RG and Diff rule today, but they still only account for 10-15% of a balls motion. Surface is still king.

#199992 - 07/09/19 12:15 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Based on sheer sales on longevity we probably have to add the White Dot, right?

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#199994 - 07/09/19 02:04 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: champ]
82Boat69 Offline

I never owned a Columbia White Dot, but I did own a Columbia Blue Dot which I acquired around 1979 and just retired about 4 months ago. I'd definitely put a Blue Dot in my hall of fame.

#199997 - 07/13/19 09:35 AM Re: Bowling Ball Hall of Fame [Re: champ]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
As with Dennis I left bowling in 1982 and did not get back into bowling until around 2008. In 1982 I was using a D.I.C.K Weber Five Star. It seem to be a very popular ball back then and would be a candidate for the HOF. The big marketing gimmick was that it was a bigger ball. It was the only ball I used an averaged around 190. So I missed out on a lot of ball development. But from the period after 2009 I would say the Hy-Road should be in the HOF. I like mine but it has tamed down from out of box and is relegated to lighter conditions playing down and in around the 5 board. I find all the Storm balls tame down quite a bit. When I did got back into bowling it was more experimentation with balls and with my overall game. On this site and other forums I kept hearing about Lane Masters ball and got a NIB The New Standard off the WEB for $65. Comparing all balls I purchased since 2009 this is still my best ball. Although it will never make a HOF it forced USBC to change its ball specs due to its Diamond particle cover. The Scratch Test. Unlike Storm balls the L/M balls do not loose their reaction.

Balls come and go but what what is very interesting is the recycling of cores. Some of the cores seem to have been around for a long time. As with L/M the Dynasty core, Hammer the GASMASK core, Ebonite the Centrex core in The One series, and Storm even the Hy-Road inverted FE2 core. So if you think you missed out on a ball that should be in HOF wait a little bit some version of it with the same core may come back into production.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.