BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199956 - 06/24/19 10:10 AM So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
So yesterday, the USBC announced that the 3-unit rule in regards to lane dressing is dead. No more inspections needed. They acknowledged that the balls beat the oil so badly it was not an issue anymore.

https://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?i...13bD9m_T2VEkN3k

Now there were a couple of immediate reactions, with the most prevalent being No kidding, glad you finally figured it out.

My reaction was how this furthers the perception that league bowling is not a real sport anyway, just an activity. I also think it furthers the perception that sanctioning is not required, and this is becoming a bit of a joke.

I fully understand how things are, many centers, including the one I have left, don't take the house shot seriously anyway. But as an old guy, I expect to find lanes so dry that I can no longer bowl. I just think it puts sanctioned bowling in the fast lane towards meaningless.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199959 - 06/24/19 02:34 PM Re: So the 3-unit oil rule is dead. [Re: SteveH]
82Boat69 Offline

A/S/L: 71/M/California
Sanctioned leagues haven't been needed since lane blocking became legal. When perfectos jumped from 600 each year to 36,000 per years, the integrity of the game was damaged beyond redemption. Today, association fees and USBC fees are simply a waste of money for league bowlers.

Bowling will become a victim of deregulation. Everyone is hooked on high scoring conditions and equipment. Anything done to make the game more realistic will simply drive people and pro-shops out of the game.

How long would bowling last if less than 10% of the bowlers could average over 190?

#199960 - 06/24/19 03:48 PM Re: So the 3-unit oil rule is dead. [Re: SteveH]
SteveH Offline

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I fully understand why they did this, and that they haven't been able to enforce anything anyway. Would be nice if they could, but fact is, only a tiny percentage of league bowlers would have supported it.

As for balls? I'd have to think that given the existing over/under conditions, and dry dry dry and possibly worse coming, who the heck needs strong asylums anyway? Maybe everyone will be trowing ultra weak and/or urethan in coming years. I almost had a weak Monet this month in getting a new ball, but will stick with what I have I guess.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#199961 - 06/24/19 08:04 PM Re: So the 3-unit oil rule is dead. [Re: SteveH]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Well, what I am concerned about is how USBC continues to change the rules. My balls were drilled to be legal for the new rules and now I am finding out I have 3 more balls that will be deemed illegal come August 1, 2020. Why are they even concern about the balls when they are not about the oil? Makes no sense to me.

Effective Aug. 1, 2020, drilled holes cannot exceed a diameter of 1-9/16 inches and a hole cannot have a depth of more than 4-1/2 inches. The specification includes holes in which removable devices are used, though the holes size specifically was set to allow all existing removeable devises to remain.

#199964 - 06/24/19 11:47 PM Re: So the 3-unit oil rule is dead. [Re: 82Boat69]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Sanctioned leagues haven't been needed since lane blocking became legal. When perfectos jumped from 600 each year to 36,000 per years, the integrity of the game was damaged beyond redemption. Today, association fees and USBC fees are simply a waste of money for league bowlers.

Bowling will become a victim of deregulation. Everyone is hooked on high scoring conditions and equipment. Anything done to make the game more realistic will simply drive people and pro-shops out of the game.

How long would bowling last if less than 10% of the bowlers could average over 190?

Not sure the answer to your question but there are a lot of USBC bowlers that bowl just for the social aspect of it and average in the 140s-170s. If they put out a 20:1 shot or a 1:1 shot they'll come out and bowl. Unfortunately I think this segment of the membership is largely overlooked.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - Yesterday at 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.