BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199876 - 03/10/19 09:51 AM Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I guess this is probably the best place for this. For a little over the last month, I've been hearing rumors that the primary center I've bowled at since 1989 will not pass USBC inspection for next season without some serious money being spent. According to the hearsay that I heard Friday night, apparently some part of the cribbing or other related structure under the lanes has expanded and the synthetic beds are more than 42 inches wide. Has anyone heard about anything like this before?

Mark

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199880 - 03/17/19 06:05 PM Re: Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection [Re: Mkirchie]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Center will probably offer league bowling just not sanctioned. USBC is shooting their self in the foot.
What does it matter if the lane is a little wider except maybe by the 7 or 10 pin. nelson

Edited by BOSStull (03/17/19 06:05 PM)

#199883 - 03/20/19 04:41 PM Re: Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

I am curious to see what happens. I'd likely switch centers, I hope the center I'd switch to has space because I'm not the only one who would leave. It is ironic when physical dimensions (outside of levelness) play much less into scoring than new ball technology and oil.

Mark

#199886 - 03/28/19 10:18 PM Re: Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection [Re: Mkirchie]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I can't see how the synthetic lane has widened. It's a solid piece of plastic, like plywood, not in pieces. If the under bridging widened, it had to compress the gutters, not widen the lane.

There is an older cover like linoleum that was laid over wooden lanes. Now, in that case, the wood under it can widen as it dries out and spaces appear between the boards.

We have a new lane here that took over a closed big store in a shopping Mall. But, to fit all the lanes in, USBC allowed them to narrow each lane by an inch. So, about 38 boards instead of 39. Cut half board off each side.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199890 - 03/30/19 07:48 AM Re: Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

I was thinking the same thing, it just seems a little odd. When they changed to synthetics in 1996, it was a complete replacement where they ripped out the wood lanes. If you're referring to what I believe was usually called Guardian with the linoleum like product, I had the misfortune of bowling on that for a few years while in college.

For whatever this means for leagues, they're currently converting a room behind the last two pairs where the lockers and the Pro Shop were located into a private party room. The lockers and Pro Shop got moved to an odd hallway and small room just past the last pair. Ironically, it's not the worst location the Pro Shop has had. Years ago when it was operated by someone else if you were getting something drilled you had to meet him at the front desk and then walk to a room that required you to walk up the aisle next to the last pair, go through the door used by the mechanics, go through a storage area used for parts, and then you got to where he drilled the balls. The move does make sense, the parties currently block the side entrance that most league bowlers use (no stairs) and the room they're converting is right next to the snack bar and bar.

Mark

#199899 - 04/12/19 03:21 PM Re: Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection [Re: Mkirchie]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Guardian is like a plastic film, laid on the lane. It may have some elasticity.

Its primary purpose is its reflective value that is good for cosmic flashing lights, and black lights.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/19/19 10:50 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by Mkirchie - 07/17/19 06:55 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 07/15/19 11:07 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.