BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123487 - 03/24/10 09:48 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style ***** [Re: abe]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: abe
It's recommended that CG be placed in the middle of the fingerspan, as per the diagram Aoiten found. With a plastic ball, the pin is CG, hence why it says "CG or WEIGHT BLOCK(pin)"... hope that clears it up for ya. wink

My current ball (a straight shooter) has the pin on the exact opposite side that my grip is on. If the pin were directly under my grip, the pancake weight would be at the top when the ball is spinning, yeah? That's an important difference.

How well do house balls work for spinning?

My shoulder is a little sensitive, more than likely from trying to swim butterfly. I tried spinning a 12-pound house ball and felt some discomfort in my shoulder, so I guess I'd go with an 11-pound ball then. (Even when shooting straight, I prefer only 13#, but I standardised on 14# equipment just in case I decide to learn to hook.)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#123489 - 03/24/10 10:00 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: 10PinGaloot]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: SpareMe
Unfortunately, It takes a really good aim, and hurts my shoulder, so I don't bowl complete games with it.

I used to use a 12 pound ball for this. I probably should have kept it. Hmmm....

How much does your regular ball weigh? Do you have any pre-existing shoulder issues? Could it have been a technique problem?

#123508 - 03/25/10 12:05 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
abe Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Columbus, Ohio, USA
My current ball (a straight shooter) has the pin on the exact opposite side that my grip is on. If the pin were directly under my grip, the pancake weight would be at the top when the ball is spinning, yeah? That's an important difference.

How well do house balls work for spinning?
[/quote]

Normally, yes, the weight block would be on top of the ball while spinning. But what's important is that the center of gravity is near the axis. With the different core designs of most reactive balls it's important to have the CG on top. But with plastic balls having a pancake weight, it really doesn't make a huge difference. My T-Zone(6 pack video) is drilled with the pin on the bottom of the ball, and it's a great spinner ball... only 11 lbs too!
House balls work quite well. But the bottom line is they won't be as comfortable as a ball drilled specifically for your hand. You also probably won't be quite as accurate with a house ball because you really have to grip them to hang on to them.

And if anyone trying this style is having unexplained shoulder pain... Remember to RELAX your approach and swing. We're not crankers! The helicopter is a finess techinque. Spinners actually have a lot in common with strokers.

#123534 - 03/25/10 07:35 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: abe]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Thanks, everyone. This thread has increased my interest and knowledge of spinning. It would be nice to end up with an increased score, though shooting spares is actually the fun part for me. hehe

Do spinners tend to use the same ball and technique for spares?

Hmm... If it doesn't matter which side the pin is on for spinning a plastic ball, I wonder if it matters much for shooting straight.

#123547 - 03/25/10 10:42 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
Originally Posted By: aoiten
Thanks, everyone. This thread has increased my interest and knowledge of spinning. It would be nice to end up with an increased score, though shooting spares is actually the fun part for me. hehe

Do spinners tend to use the same ball and technique for spares?

Hmm... If it doesn't matter which side the pin is on for spinning a plastic ball, I wonder if it matters much for shooting straight.

I would say it is just your confident & skill level in bowling. Yes, the technique stays the same. But if you think you could score better with traditional style for sparing then go ahead. But the only thing is, if you keep switching style in a bowling game. It could mess up your game.

This is what Michael Fagan (cranker) wrote on his site:

I use a reactive ball sometimes because when traveling I am limited to the number of balls I can bring. I do not want to waste space with a plastic ball so I have learned to use my reactive ball and throw it straight. The best way to make easy spares is with a plastic ball.

If you can bowl well. You can make your ball straight, spin or hook at your own desire. Our 2 handed Jason Belmonte is a good example. He spares with 2 hands too.

Edited by KahKiat (03/25/10 10:55 AM)

#123554 - 03/25/10 11:24 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Kait is right. Learning how to make spares with a reactive ball can save space and is a great tool to use on dry lanes. As for how that applies to the spinner style I have no idea. I've never tried nor will I. looks like too much long term damage to the arm in my opinion. I'd think you'd have to use a plastic ball for the spinner style because I've never seen a spinner bowler throw a ball straight, it's always hooked. A plastic ball would significantly deter that rotation and hook.

I'd like to make one correction Kiat, Fagan is a Power Stroker like his mentor PDW, not a cranker. His big wheeling hook and tons of revs come from is free swing and strong release.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (03/25/10 11:28 AM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#123560 - 03/25/10 12:30 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Oh, here is the question I forgot to ask: If 11-12 pounds if a good weight range for teens and adults, what might a good starting point be for children who currently use 6-10 pound balls? For example, for my son to spin a 9-10 pound ball, it would be equivalent to me spinning a 14 pound ball. I think my arm would break off.

#123563 - 03/25/10 01:16 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
The point that was made about having to be precise is right on. Without a hook, there's no forgiveness. The advantage is that the ball works exactly the same regardless of lane condition.

I would not recommend anyone getting into this style after their joints start stiffening up, e.g. after middle age. But for a youngster, go for it! I'd recommend 8 pounds to start with for the young'un.

Pick up spares throwing the same ball that you spin for the strikes, but instead, throw it straight. You could also have a gentle reactive so you can hook into double wood and those weird splits.

I've used a spare ball (12 and 14 lbs) and reactives (16 lbs) on this shot, and while the heavier balls seem to get more pin action, they also hurt. For an adult, I'd say 12 pounds is optimum. Which I hadn't given away my 12
pounder....

Regarding form, no one asked, but the answer is that it whould be identically the same as for a stroker shot. The only diff between sponner and stoker hook is in the hand, not in the arm, and form applies to arm. Therefore, a good coach can give you lots of help.

As far as where to throw it, again no one asked, but I'm a font of info.... I throw from the right and left at the pocket and brooklyn pocket. All 4 shots work. I llike the sound of the pins when I hit the brooklyn side.

Been doing this shot since 1980. In 1980, I used to end the release with the thumb pointing at the pins. Now I end the release with the thumb and fingers at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. It's less prone to pulling the ball and gets the same revs IMO.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#123566 - 03/25/10 01:32 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: aoiten]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: aoiten
What might a good starting point be for children who currently use 6-10 pound balls?

If you think your son might be a serious bowler he might better off with conventional just because coaching of this style is so limited in the US.

#123568 - 03/25/10 01:43 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: B-Hammer]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer

If you think your son might be a serious bowler he might better off with conventional just because coaching of this style is so limited in the US.

Then again, that could put him in demand as a spinner coach!

I'm just curious about it though. My son isn't into spinning so much. His coach even said that it wasn't "real" bowling, even though it works! I instructed his friend to give it a go because he wasn't hitting anything at all and he improved instantly. But for my son, it's all about the glory of the hook. ^_^

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - Today at 02:15 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 05/17/19 09:17 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/13/19 02:12 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.