BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167394 - 05/31/12 12:31 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style ***** [Re: MikeHL]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: MikeHL
Originally Posted By: svengali
I'm actually a candlepin bowler so I'm used to using a ball that weighs less than 3 pounds. I'm also used to throwing the ball straight.

Hey svengali. Sorry I missed your posts, as I haven't been around here too often lately. It's good to see a fellow Mass.-hole around here. heh. I'm from a few miles north of Springfield...bowled candlepin all my life until 1999, then didn't set foot in a bowling center for 10 years, during which time I moved to Michigan.

Interesting that you may be trying the helicopter style...I've considered it at times. I also can relate to abandoning tenpin altogether -- the thought has occurred to me more than once as the physical game that any hook player needs flies so directly in the face of what I know how to do that I have an immensely difficult time picking up on it. I average in tenpin about what you do, and I just don't string strikes. Ever.

Anyway, glad to see you here. smile

Thanks. I'm really getting into tenpin now, never thought this would happen. It's nice to have an alternative to candlepin, not that I'm giving up on it at all, but the game is dying. Lanes are closing, there's not as many tournaments as there used to be, and it isn't on TV anymore.

I know all bowling has gotten smaller, but there are still a lot of people who bowl tenpin. I went to my league meeting last week and found out that there were 80 people that were going to be bowling in this one league. Seems like a lot of seniors are bowling tenpin as well, used to be that the candlepin centers were getting the senior bowlers but almost every time I go bowling on a weekday there's a senior league or outing taking place on adjacent lanes.

Originally Posted By: aoiten
svengali, excellent! I'd love to see a video.

What do you think would happen if you decreased the speed a little? Hook bowlers do that to give the ball time to react to the lane. A spinner might try it to give the ball time to interact with the pins.

Thanks, I did try that out today and it seemed to work nicely. Prior to today I was leaving a lot of 4 and 6 pins on what I deemed good hits into the pocket, but got a lot more strikes today and I think only left one 4 pin. I actually recorded one of my games, have a look.

This actually wasn't even my best game. Had a 234 as well where I had a 5 bagger and 7 strikes total. Would appreciate any feedback on this, I didn't get to record a side view, but wanted to get something out there anyway. Enjoy and would appreciate anyone's feedback.

I start my league tomorrow night. Hopefully I can keep this up.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#167403 - 05/31/12 12:54 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: wronghander]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Nice results. Great spare shooting.

I think the ball needs to hit hard enough to carry the 5-pin, but soft enough to deflect and mix the pins. On the hits that I liked--which were most of the strike shots--the ball seemed to deflect toward the 8-pin or 9-pin.

Strike notes:
1:15 (deflected right)
1:40 (almost no deflection--spinner luck!)
2:05 (deflected left)
3:15 (deflected left)
4:35 (deflected left)
5:40 (hit light, deflected right)

*Clearly, as a left-hander, your better hits deflect to the left.* Missing and deflecting to the right works as well. Missing the headpin, 5-pin, or not deflecting...not so good. Hitting the headpin dead on...you /might/ get lucky.

Some of the basics for all styles could use some attention; posting the shot at the foul line and following through. Since your results are good, those things would mostly be for looks, but who knows? heh

#167404 - 05/31/12 01:51 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Non-strike notes:

0:00 (on the nose, no deflection, 6-pin standing)
0:40 (deflected right, missed 5-pin, 5-8 standing)
2:35 (on the nose, no deflection, 4-7 standing)
3:45 (deflected right, missed 5-pin, 5-7 standing)
5:00 (on the nose, no deflection, 6-10 standing)

So, when you hit the headpin on the nose and the ball doesn't deflect, you're lucky to only have a corner pin or two on /one/ side. Shots deflecting to the right seem to have a slightly higher tendency to miss the 5-pin, causing your only split and open frame. (Nice conversion attempt.)

Conclusion: Same as before. Left deflection hits are the best, followed by right deflection hits. I think a straight roller shot with a heavier ball would have left a bunch of splits. Looking good! Spinning works for you!

#167498 - 06/03/12 08:28 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks. I do agree I need to work on my follow through. Unfortunately these results did not carry over to my league Thursday night, posted about it in the league thread, but suffice it to say just poor and inconsistent shooting. Probably would be more consistent with better follow through and better footwork.

#168358 - 06/28/12 12:41 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Anyone still spinning out there?

I've been improving my game in league over the last few weeks. I finally figured out what my issue was. The reason I wasn't getting good enough follow through is because the ball I was using was not only drilled for a right hander initially but the finger holes are a little too small for me so I was essentially using a semi-fingertip grip. I was thinking the ball was too heavy for me to spin with anyway, but it may just be that I can't get my fingers all the way into it. I switched to a 12# house ball for my strike shots and I'm getting much more spin on the ball and more strikes. Still struggling with consistency though so I ordered a 12# White Dot which I'll hopefully have available within a week. Hopefully it gives me good enough carry, but if not it will at least be a spare ball for me.

Edited by svengali (06/28/12 12:47 AM)

#169420 - 07/31/12 09:41 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I don't do the helicopter much any more due to carpal tunnel problems. However, i was trying out my old 14 pound Rhino Pro Teal, which is something like 4000 and polished ( I don't know, exactly - that's the way it was when I bought it).

Any hoo, threw a gutter ball with my Mission 2.0, and figured what the heck, why not? Took off my wrist brace, which I wear to prevent my wrist from snapping back, put my thumb slug in the Rhino, and threw a spinner at the brooklyn side (from the far right), making a spare out of it - just like in the old days.

I love the way the pins go flying.

Maybe I'll do a spinner game every once in a while. Maybe. But for sure I'll use it for picking up the whole rack for a spare whenever my "big hook" goes in the gutter.
smile
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#169640 - 08/07/12 04:04 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I was able to bowl a complete game using my style of helicopter this past weekend (with my 14 pound Rhino Pro Teal, which also happens to work great for hook-style at these less-oiled lanes...). It's a great feeling to see that ball go straight instead of hooking,, knowing what it'll do to the pins when it hits!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#169642 - 08/07/12 04:21 PM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
aoiten Offline
Legend

2-handed spinner!

#171871 - 10/07/12 05:55 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: KahKiat]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA

I am not a spinner, I am a low rev Full Roller. But I have noticed something interesting. If I miss left and my ball crosses over Brooklyn it produces an aggressive deflection strike. Because my ball is rolling over the full circumference of the ball and has lower revs (140rpm to 170rpm) when it crosses to the Brooklyn side it does have angle and right to left movement but not sharp movement like a strong hooker would. So when my ball hits it deflects more gradually down the left rack (1-2-4-7) and directly hits the 7 pin. The result is the 1-2-4-7 shoot nicely into the other pins producing a strike most of the time.
This has led me to believe that I can “purposely” attempt to hit Brooklyn to get the same deflection strike effect.
So for this test I took my 13lb White Dot and had it polished to a mirror shine. This week in league I will give it a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#171874 - 10/07/12 07:11 AM Re: Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/UFO Style [Re: nord]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: nord

This has led me to believe that I can “purposely” attempt to hit Brooklyn to get the same deflection strike effect.
So for this test I took my 13lb White Dot and had it polished to a mirror shine. This week in league I will give it a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

I have gone a full game (in league) going brooklyn and scored a 266. I have never done it again but (like you) i wanted to try it. LOL, i don't think people thought too much of it. I don't care.

Asian bowlers using two hands spin it up the middle with 12 pounders playing that concept you are looking at, with success. Deflection will be your challenge but i like your "thinking outside the box" vision. Depending on what line you chose, you may want to try it with a heavier ball. I think strokers and full rolers have a unique style that can be taken advantage of but not (maybe so much) in a traditional way. Bowling is all about finding a line to the pocket that scores and repeating it. If you want to "challenge the mainstream bowlers" i say GO FOR IT.

When bowling against bowlers with ego's and the mentality that they shouldn't get beat by someone with a lower average, this style absolutely destroys them.

Edited by metguy (10/07/12 07:12 AM)

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Lane Dimension Question and USBC Inspection
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 04:41 PM
Long over due update!!
by Dylan585 - Yesterday at 01:28 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by djp1080 - 03/18/19 12:02 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 03/14/19 01:12 PM
Bowling - Spinner/Helicopter/U
FO Style

by myn8888 - 03/05/19 02:56 PM
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
by 6_ball_man - 03/04/19 03:48 PM
How do you attack this oil pattern
by Richie V. - 03/02/19 03:38 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 02/25/19 07:08 PM
HI!!
by champ - 02/23/19 12:20 AM
Lineup
by 82Boat69 - 02/22/19 09:52 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.