BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199751 - 11/13/18 12:39 PM Trying to keep my throw straight
Gutterballqueen313 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 53/f/NY
I have an interesting problem.

Most women bowlers don't have this problem AFAIK, but I am unfortunately one of the few who do. I haven't met anyone who has this problem yet.

(WARNING: Some parts of this may be "TMI" for some)
I have a large...erm...bust. Not as large as celebs like Doly Parton, but up there. So large I cannot put my arms directly against my sides. I have always had this problem from youth.

Well, I am in my 50s now and could stand to lose weight, especially in that area. But meanwhile, they interfere with my swing and being able to throw the ball straight. I am a straight shooter (no pun intended).

So, because they get in the way, I often throw my arm across my body, leading to the ball going to the right and sometimes straight into the gutter.
How can I correct this? (Aside from having major surgery, LOL)

Edited by Gutterballqueen313 (11/13/18 12:40 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199752 - 11/13/18 01:29 PM Re: Trying to keep my throw straight [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I doubt that any man can appreciate your problem, but anyone who is overweight might experience some.

Two areas to look at are body-tilt and body angle. On the internet, search for body-tilt and body-angle drills by Joe Slowinski.

I think with just minor modification, you'll find a happy medium that will work. You'll probably loosen up your whole arm-swing too.

#199753 - 11/13/18 04:36 PM Re: Trying to keep my throw straight [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
First, what's wrong with being a straight shooter?
Next, Joe Slowinski also has some articles on DYDS. He suggests for all bowlers to drop their shoulder (i.e., your ball side shoulder). What this does is give your arm some room to swing the ball straight and not have to wrap your ball around your body. It allows for your head to lean to the right for right-handed folks. Some have said that your ball side shoulder should be several inches lower than the other.
One other thing you might try is starting your approach to the lane from more left than others use and walking up to the foul line at a slight angle to the right giving you even more room to swing the ball perhaps even across your body.
I'm hoping that the idea of dropping your shoulder may be the ticket to success for you.
Hope this helps...

#199755 - 11/14/18 11:23 AM Re: Trying to keep my throw straight [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It's only a problem because of the way you stand. I think you are too erect in presentation. So, move your upper body to the ball side, so that your arm has a free swing (pendulum). You can practice that just standing.

Then, you have to walk in that position, with minimal sway. A forward lean would be helpful at the release as well. At all times, keep your head over the ball path.

I had a student, mid-late 50's, who had a similar problem, with the exception that it was her hips that were too wide. There was no way she could even swing her arm straight at her side. Well, with the proper side lean and forward reach, she is enjoying bowling much more.

But, it takes practice. I would refrain from turning your body to the side, as many profess.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199765 - 11/24/18 08:49 PM Re: Trying to keep my throw straight [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Anyway of posting a video so we can see what is causing the issue?
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by 6_ball_man - 12/08/18 10:50 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.