BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199698 - 09/24/18 02:32 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
I think I did mention that I'd be subbing on my Sunday Niters team instead of being a regular bowler, and my first opportunity to sub was last night, for Peter.

[url="http://www.bowlsk.com/games/view-series.html?series=5726499181166592]Last night's bowling, frame-by-frame[/url]

Back-to-back good nights, but a little more consistent last night. My biggest problem seemed to be chopping the 6-10, but I also only missed one single pin (a 10, but I didn't leave it often).

Result: 194-161-199=554
Average (3 games): 184
Next week's AVG+1 score: 556

Composite average (12 games): 169

If our anchor got the second hit in the 10th second game, it would have been all eight, but we had to settle for six.

Edited by Richie V. (09/24/18 02:36 PM)
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 171 HS: 558 HG: 233
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 172

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199699 - 09/26/18 05:45 AM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, bowling didn't go well, this week. the knee is very painful in the slide, to the point that my body actually stops before it. That puts me off balance and in a worse finish position.

Without the knee bend, I can't slide, can't extend, and don't release properly. I have slowed down to under 12 mph, as I have noticed on the above monitor speed indicator. And, that makes my hook uncontrollable, at times. I fly right past single pin spares to the left. And, the 9 pin is the hardest pin for me. Missed it left, twice. Each time, the ball dove in the final 5+ feet.

In Sr League, I pulled out a Urethane ball to use. Actually, to practice instead of my regular balls. I just get no finish with it, leaving 11, 10 pins. Then, missing 5. All to the left, hooking my spare ball at 12 mph. I have to go back and practice killing my hook on right side spares.

All the things I have learned and practiced over the years are hurting me now. My release is strong, but too strong at this speed. I now have to change my release on spares, where I have tried to maintain the same release, just change balls. I can't slide and now have to plant. My steps are shorter affecting my timing.

I'm a mess!!!

But, I have to fix it, as I will hurt my teams.

Haha, I found a printout in my bag. Shows the night where I had 21 strikes in a row, the back 11 of game 1 and the front 10 in game 2. Now, I can't even get a Turkey. Heck, those 2 games are higher then my 3-game series now.

When I first hurt my knee (now over 7 years ago), I did bowl 2 years taking only 1-step and averaged 194. I may go back to that.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199700 - 09/27/18 03:45 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

Last night's bowling, frame-by-frame

I had two decent games, but then seemed unable to stay right of the headpin, which was how I left the four spares I missed in the game. When my leaves were more reasonable, I usually made the spare.

Result: 192-174-145=511
Average (12 games): 165
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 500

Composite average (15 games): 169
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#199701 - 09/28/18 11:15 AM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Had a mediocre week. Sunday 235,215,203. Just not carrying well enough after the first game. Too many corner pins. Tried to adjust to hit the pocket higher midway through the 3rd and left a 6-8. Only open of the night. Team got swept too. Wednesday I had 213, 247, 191. Progress for this league considering the slow start but never had a good look after the first 4 frames. Started with my Pyramid Blood Moon Rising which gave me the first 4 but after that it just seemed like the ball just quit on me. Started reacting later and then not reacting at all. Can't believe my speed went up that much where it was that big of a difference. Switched to my Brute Strength which rolls earlier to get me through the rest of the night and found it for awhile in the 2nd game but by the 3rd felt like I had no room for error. Team took 17 out of 26

Last night 193, 234, 211. Bowling against the vacant team and in game 1 just got screwed on carry. Pins are in bad need of replacement in this center and the pair that we were on just seemed to have really bad ones. Can't rely on any light mixers and even some of the flush strikes don't carry if you didn't have enough angle. Needed just a mark in the 10th to win my point and I come in a little light and go pocket 7-10. Eliminator cut was 198 as well. Gross.

Second game I found it and shot clean 234 but in the 3rd pulled the first shot, left a split but managed to rebound enough to shoot 211. But striking was not as easy as last week (scores seemed to be down across the house as well from last week) Team took 22 out of 25 against the vacant which is a gimme game almost because you only have to bowl within 15 of your average to take your point so we cleaned up. Seems like a bad idea in a scratch league. Probably something that will come up in the meeting next year (last year they had an even amount of teams so this is new to the league as well) when not everyone gets to bowl the vacant.

Feel like I'm throwing it well but need a little bit stronger shot for the ball to get up and go through the pins. My spare shooting was actually really good this week going perfect on single pins and I feel like my release has been consistent. Time to go practice and work on it.

#199702 - 09/28/18 01:57 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/San Diego, CA
practice last week helped, I learned the new ball's shape and able to get a solid starting point for the beginning of the night. Shot well but opened/ split in the 10th of the first 2 games with multiple strikes leading in. Last game finished with 3 strikes. The black n gold slams the pocket but angle can get a bit steep. Leaving big splits or solid 9 and 10pins. Throwing at the arrows is 18 and breakpoint is 6-9bd. I can jam up the middle 9bd to carry if I up the speed to 16mph, 15 seems to be my happy spot right and swing out, problem is solid 9 or 10pin if it comes in too steep.

191, 199, 217 = 607 for the night. Should coulda been better. But was the first solid night I had so far since my come back. I feel like I'm in control of the ball n swing n speed now, where I was just hucking and praying before. Practice helps, repetition is the foundation

Storm Dimension 4" PAP 2000grit
Track Kinetic 4 3/4" PAP x 4" 600grit
Old Plastic Rhino

#199703 - 09/30/18 10:33 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Good stuff J, glad you got something out of your practice. Too many bowlers don't practice at all or practice without a purpose.

Had a good practice myself on Friday working on adjusting my release and finding something that worked. Had my high series of the season tonight. 238, 200, 257 for 695. Second game had a chance to go off the sheet and be in the 240s but in the 9th pulled a shot and left a 2,7,8 which resulted in my only open of the night. Other than that got much better ball reaction and had 10 strikes in the last game. Subbing in this center tomorrow so hoping to throw my first 7 of the season.

#199704 - 10/03/18 12:10 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

another poor night, shot 547. High game was 194 with the punch out in the 10th. Ave will dip from 191 to 189 next week

I'm thinking my black n gold hammer is too angular on the pocket leaving little wiggle room. That or the THS is playing like a sport for me. 3 guys threw 300s last night, one guy threw 289 and 280 first two games. He ended with 815
50* x 4 3/4" x 35* layout

Anytime I moved to try a different angle was leaving splits. If I stay where I was I'd leave solid 10pin all night. If I swing out and let it come back in off the 5-6bd, would leave solid 4s or 4/7s. If I played inside it would punch the face and leave back row splits

I'm still on out of box surface. Maybe I'll add some shine to get down a weee bit more and not loose energy.

game is so frustrating.....

Old Plastic Rhino

#199705 - 10/04/18 02:44 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

Last night's bowling, frame-by-frame

Most of my difficulty was finding the adjustment for the left lane, because I had 5/5 strikes on the right lane in the second game, repeating my first game score in the third when I did find it.

Result: 183-173-183=539
Average (15 games): 168
Average for last 9 games: 178
Next week's AVG+1 score: 513

Composite average (18 games): 171

Si was absent, and we might have been able to use him, as we only won first game. On the other hand, the opposing anchor shot 747.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#199706 - 10/04/18 11:57 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Not bad Richie. J - having the right equipment for what you're bowling on is definitely half the battle. Doesn't substitute for good bowling but having the wrong ball can get you into a lot of trouble. Case in point: last night we had a lefty sub for us that threw the ball great, but he had all shiny weaker symmetrical stuff and was consistently leaving flat 7s and a few pocket 7-10s. He had a good game in the 3rd when the lanes opened up a bit but a stronger ball would've made a huge difference for him.

Good amount of bowling for me this week. Monday I subbed and went 212, 208, and 230. First game I was actually clean the whole way with carry being an issue after an opening double. Switched balls in game 2 and did better until a few misses resulted in splits and finally put together a strong 3rd game that would have been a lot better had I not pulled a shot and opened in the 9th before striking out to end the night. Helped a team that was near the bottom of the standings win 7 of 9 though.

Wednesday 218, 224, 173. Actually threw the ball like crap in warmup and to start the game. Had a work outing at another bowling alley earlier in the day and the only problem is that it was candlepin and I think that screwed me up with muscle memory because I was pulling a lot of my shots. But fortunately I carried a few brooklyns and was making my spares and I was able to strike out 9th & 10th and was throwing it really well with some extra stuff on it by the end of that game (even carried a messenger for one of those strikes which I almost never get).

Started the 2nd game with a triple but got a little erratic toward the end and game 3 that plus missing the transition a few times and getting punished spelled disaster. However my opponent struggled and I was able to get my point in the 3rd despite losing the first 2 games. Team got killed lost 21-5.

Tonight in the scratch league wasn't feeling too good about our prospects considering we had a bowler that was going to be absent and we were unable to find a sub that fit into the average criteria. We had to take his blind score of 164 against a bowler that's 21 pins higher. However the 3 of us were able to take our individual points which was good enough for a split since we lost the game. I only shot 194 but it was good enough from the #3 position. Unfortunately the approaches were pretty bad and I got a little tentative with a few shots and paid the price for throwing it too slow. But in the 2nd I got into a groove and actually had a six pack and was hoping for a 280 before a ringing 7 in the 9th frame. Settled for 248. Ended with 216 for a 658 series but plenty good enough to take my point and team went 20-5. We moved into 6th and get the first place team next week.

#199707 - 10/05/18 04:39 PM Re: Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread [Re: Richie V.]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

yah I feel like I'm starting over again. pretty much rolling the widow plus spare ball. I need to add another to the bag but not sure what at this point, the storm is for heavy and rolls out too fast. We're the 2nd league on Tuesdays, lanes are broke down already. this is me, pretty bad vids qual from my phone. Lanes are always dark here https://www.instagram.com/p/BoA8sH9Bpit/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Old Plastic Rhino

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Today at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.