BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199587 - 07/15/18 04:44 PM Help with grip/ Thumb Position
Jason_C Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 41/M/New York
I know even with the pics below you can't get specific with answers online. I am going to be talking to my Pro Shop guy this week. But I am wondering this. When I grip my ball before starting approach Should the ball be making contact with my full palm, Part of my palm or none of my palm. As you can see from the pics there is a gap between my palm and the ball. It rests on sort of the pads at the base of my fingers. I am wondering if I Should consider offsetting my thumb to get a little more hand in contact with the ball. Turns out my thumb is odd... my proximal joint is loose or double jointed it moves in very strange ways. My son's thumb is the same way. When we got his ball drilled the driller offset his thumb because of his wacky thumb. Just looking for some opinions on if my grip is good or if my more of my palm should be in contact with the ball

Attachments
palm.jpg

sidepalm.jpg

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199588 - 07/15/18 04:46 PM Re: Help with grip/ Thumb Position [Re: Jason_C]
Jason_C Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 41/M/New York
By the way, yes my hands are small

#199589 - 07/15/18 05:25 PM Re: Help with grip/ Thumb Position [Re: Jason_C]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
Here's a website that shows how a ball should fit. It comes from a book by Bill Taylor whom many consider a guru of ball fitting and drilling.

https://issuu.com/franknz/docs/bill_taylor_fitting_drilling_a_bowl

As for whether your palm should touch the ball, most drillers will have you lay your hand on a fitting ball and will take your span measurements from that. Usually, your palm lays on the ball.

Unfortunately, nobody ever throws a fitting ball, not to mention all the holes point to the center. No reverse or pitch.

I prefer a slightly relaxed span, maybe 1/16" or less. The reasoning is, a relaxed fit allows the bowler to adjust to day-to-day changes in their hand, never requires they grip the ball, and allows their forearm, bicep and shoulder to all remain relaxed throughout their delivery.

One caveat, if you have a really high backswing, more centrifugal force at the bottom may require tighter fit.

#199592 - 07/15/18 07:43 PM Re: Help with grip/ Thumb Position [Re: Jason_C]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I always bounce the ball in my hand to seat my thumb. While holding the ball in presentation, the thumb points at 2 o'clock and the ball rests on the hand knuckle of my index finger.

The back of my hand and forearm are straight, and kept that way thru the arm swing. Avoid slackening your wrist back.

In the down swing, I uncup as the thumb comes out, then recup my hand to give the fingers lift.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199593 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM Re: Help with grip/ Thumb Position [Re: Dennis Michael]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I'm similar. I flex my wrist back and forth and settle with it slightly broken to keep it relaxed. The 2 o'clock thumb puts my fingers at 6 o'clock on the way back and the way forward. If I just keep my elbow tucked in, I have a nice solid release with good leverage.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 4 minutes 44 seconds ago
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.