BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199502 - 06/21/18 05:11 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: RGR]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
Many people bowl, but few are interested in all the details surrounding bowling balls and lane conditions.

That said, in my opinion, the number one item I attribute a 200+ average to, is confidence. I believe knowledge is power and in a game like bowling, those who understand the game have an edge over those who don't, even if you don't average 200.

Believe me, I've been proven wrong on this site many times. I'm not opposed to contacting USBC directly to prove how wrong I can be :-) But I keep learning.

I'm 70. I've been averaging over 200 since 1970. As I age, knowledge replaces my waning physical skills. I'm constantly trying new things and in the last couple of years it's cost me a small fortune, but I've learned things that give me a competitive edge, even though I wish we could all just split the cash equally and have a great time :-)

In the last year I've spent about $1,000 simply trying different dual angle combinations at $50 a pop. I have a Storm Lock which has now been drilled 5 times.

I know, purest will tell me the weight block is so damaged that I can't possibly expect the ball to react properly, but I know that surface represents 90% of a ball's reaction and the weight block, maybe 10%. Also, I know that the damage I do only impacts about 1 pound of an 11 pound weight block. So, how many times I re-drill doesn't really bother me.

This all said, all my balls give me optimum skid, hook and roll for the condition I bowl on.

My PAP is 6-3/16 over and down 3/8. I have a very high track as a former full-roller who converted. I throw about 16 MPH with 300-325 RPM's with moderate tilt and rotation.

We have a 40' THS so the shot is off the corner until the lanes breakdown. In a typical 4 game set, I'll start with a 14 pound Storm Lock drilled 65 x 3-3/8 x 35 and it will usually last almost 2 games. As I move left with my feet, I use another Storm Lock drilled 50 x 5 x 50. That usually lasts about 1 game. I finish with an Ebonite Cyclone also drilled 50 x 5 x 50.

I plan to replace my second Lock with a 14 pound Hy-Road because the Hy-Road rolls better. High RG balls seem to roll sooner for me than low RG balls.

When I talk with other bowlers my age about this stuff, you can watch their eyes roll into the back of their heads :-) Most want the pin over their ring finger and that's about it.

Ironically, they're not far from right. Bowling balls can be drilled in all kinds of exotic ways, but the bottom line, each person has a pretty narrow range of specifications they can use. Finding that range is tough and expensive. All the pros have ball-reps doing that for them. Here in the real world, we need a sympathetic PSO who will give us a decent price and a few freebies :-)

This site has really been quiet for a long time. Maybe we can liven it up a little. Tell me where you bowl so I can see their webpage.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199503 - 06/21/18 07:30 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Many people bowl, but few are interested in all the details surrounding bowling balls and lane conditions.

I'd have to agree with this myself too. I've seen a lot of bowlers who if they either learned why their super aggressive ball dies when they're playing in the burn or to move out of their comfort zone, they could improve a lot. I also agree about the importance of confidence. In my opinion when you're going to change balls and/or make a big move, you have to be confident in what you believe it will do.

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
This site has really been quiet for a long time. Maybe we can liven it up a little. Tell me where you bowl so I can see their webpage.

Ha, I can but all you're going to see is stock photos of smiling people holding bowling balls, a few pictures of the arguably nice looking bar, a few pictures of the interior of other centers and only one of the interior of the actual center on a flyer for an event. In other words, almost every other bowling center website I have seen.

Mark

#199504 - 06/21/18 07:46 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I got started on my paper route. I delivered to a place called Country Bowl in Redding, CA. One day I came in and had an extra buck in my pocket. Games were 35 cents for kids, so I bowled 3. Couldn't keep score but the lady at the desk told me how to mark the score and she would do the calcs later. That woman later got me a job at Country Bowl and became a life-long friend.

I can walk into almost any bowling alley and know within a couple of years when it was built. Architecture for bowling establishments haven't changed much over the years.

I love to find places out of the way, maybe in a Quonset hut. Stop in, shoot a set. I was coming though Eastern Oregon a year or so ago and found a place like that. Pristine wooden lanes, Brunswick A-2's, Sweet! Found another place near Vicksburg, MI, almost the same.

I bowl at Steve Cook's Fireside lanes in Citrus Heights, CA now. As seniors, we only pay 75 cents a game. Up 2 bits from last year :-)

Cook is slowly getting it back in shape, but it's old and needs a lot of work. Most places do these days.

#199505 - 06/22/18 12:19 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: 82Boat69]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
haha, we all are about the same age, except for Mark.

We used to be called the "old guys". but now, I bowl with people older. haha.

One is 99 and most others are in their 80's. Unfortunately, those are the people who learned how to bowl without the aid of the "hook in the box". And, as technology improved bowling balls, fewer of us really knew what it all meant. And, as lane conditions changed and varied, very few of us knew how to adapt as we never had to, previously.

Biggest issue to me has been in thinking today vs what I was taught. Way back then, you wanted your ball to roll immediately off your hand at the release. Today, it has to skid, then hook, before it ever rolls. How long of a skid and how much hook is a function of matchup between the ball and the bowler.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199507 - 06/22/18 01:41 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
When I came back to this game about 8 years ago, I joined the local senior league. I know that two of the other three have passed away. One of them was a great lady who bowled till she was 93 and had bowled in leagues for at least fifty of her years. She only complained about one thing and that was that she was getting short on breath. She passed away a couple of months ago.
Before the "hook in the box" came along and the lane changes, I didn't give bowling much thought. I just showed up and did my thing. With the advent of the internet and so on, I've studied quite a bit and carry spreadsheets with me to the lanes.
I've got a listing of balls I tend to use most often and have picked my favorite line ups that usually work well. I've got tables with 2 & 1 moves that help me recall where the heck I should be on the approach. smile
Then I've got another table for picking up most common spares that has saved me from making huge mistakes. I just wish I could execute these shots a bit better than I do though. smile
I've actually surprised myself by picking up stuff like the 4-9 split and various washouts like a 2-4-10 or 1-2-10. I know I shouldn't be leaving stuff like that, but it happens anyway. smile
These spreadsheets are based upon my offset from where my left foot lines up on the lane and where my ball gets laid down on. I've read that for women that's typically 6 boards and for men it's around 7 boards. Unfortunately for me I find that my magic number is 11 boards. I don't think I'm really that big and wide. I stand nearly 72" tall and weigh about 209 lbs.
Anyway, I'm glad you guys have decided to post a bit lately. Good to see activity in the bowling community...
Have a great Summer!

Glad you guys are posting some again.

#199511 - 06/22/18 05:32 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
haha, we all are about the same age, except for Mark.

Thanks, this reminded me that I never fixed my age on my profile after my birthday.

I'm the second oldest bowler on my team, two of my teammates are four years younger than me, one is 6 years younger, and the oldest one is 7 years older. The league itself does have a good mix of people in different age groups.

I remember that my youth leagues and high school bowling were quite active, however I don't think many continued past high school. That was all during the heydey of Brunswick Zones, Ebonite Wolves, and the beginning of Storm's growth. It seems to me that even a generation of bowlers who grew up with resin didn't choose to stay with bowling when they became adults.

Mark

#199512 - 06/22/18 06:10 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: RGR]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
Think its a sign of the times , I fit some where between you. Leagues I bowl in are mostly made up of people who'd qualify age wise for the senior tour. Admittedly not all but the younger ones 30ish seem to come and go.
Yeah the local lanes run a junior section on a Saturday, and have some promising players but not many go on to join the leagues.
Only one bowling centre in the county I live in has leagues
I just hope I don't live to see the demise of a great sport, although I'm not going to bet on it

#199513 - 06/22/18 10:38 PM Re: I'll try again [Re: RGR]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Steve, it goes in cycles here. For so long, AMF was on top. Then Brunswick. Now, the privately owned houses are growing in league members

the house I now bowl at was for sale 5 years ago, 40 lanes. Now, you can't get an open lane

leagues ev nite, and 2 nites, all 40 lanes used
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199514 - 06/23/18 04:19 AM Re: I'll try again [Re: RGR]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
Dennis , I agree it goes in cycles , your talking about, different bowling providers been on top.
I'm talking about the sport in general. Houses shutting, reduced hours. no leagues, centres really run down, No new blood.
When the current league bowlers decide to hang up their shoes where's the next generation coming from.

#199516 - 06/23/18 10:57 AM Re: I'll try again [Re: steveA]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: steveA

I just hope I don't live to see the demise of a great sport, although I'm not going to bet on it

I not going to hope one way or the other. I don't wish the sport to die but I rather live to see it die than the other way around. LOL

If USB membership and the number of USBC leagues is any indication of the state of organized bowling then it looks like bowling is headed that way. Membership and the number of leagues has decreased an average of 5% ever year since 2010. We are down to 1.49 million members as of last year. At this rate in 5 to 6 years we will be down to 1 million members.
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Today at 08:17 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by Dennis Michael - 09/18/18 08:46 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:27 PM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:23 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by wronghander - 08/23/18 11:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.