BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199485 - 06/11/18 08:56 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Well, this past week, I pulled a muscle in my back early in game 3, and was considering DNFing when my brain said, "Just take shorter steps." So I did and posted a triple that brought the game up from something close to 100 to better but still not good. Before the back issue, I whiffed a 4 pin (of all things) in the 10th of game 1 to lose the game by ONE! UGH!!
OTOH - for the 3 weeks of the "I Want My Momma" pattern I was 2nd in the league and qualify for the step-ladder this coming week. OTOOH - This week, we change to "The Great Depression" pattern... 36' which is MUCH shorter than the 1st 2 patterns. The step-ladder is right after league and will be on the Momma pattern...I will be hauling in a whole barrel-full of equipment for this session. Wish me luck!
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro (shiny)
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199486 - 06/11/18 12:51 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: 6_ball_man]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Sounds like you're the man!
Too bad about your back though. Best of luck. Take some Aleve. Hope your back holds up well...

#199487 - 06/11/18 05:18 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: djp1080]
6_ball_man Offline

Originally Posted By: djp1080
Sounds like you're the man!
Too bad about your back though. Best of luck. Take some Aleve. Hope your back holds up well...

wellll....I am only the 2nd man...LoL I could be #1 by the end of the step-ladder.

when I came home, I took a hydro and an advil and went to bed. I had a golf date the next AM, and got up a touch sore, took 2 aleves before golf and never felt even a twinge and my back has been fine since, even through another golf outing (2 aleves beforehand - just in case you understand). The problem isn't spinal. It is the muscle right above the right cheek. I am thinking it is golf related, cuz I just restarted playing after a 20 year layoff.

equipment list too

#199488 - 06/11/18 07:01 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: 6_ball_man]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Good deal!
I could tell you my golf story, but I'll skip it for now.
I didn't have a good experience on my first outing.
Learned many years later that I should drive with left handed clubs and putt with right handed clubs. End of story.
Guess with your layoff it was a bit of a strain on muscles you haven't used much over the years.
I get a little strain on the muscles or tendons above my knees. Otherwise in pretty good shape at least for bowling.
Take care...

#199491 - 06/17/18 06:08 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline

soooo....I ended up the 3rd man. I gave a credible showing, starting with the front 4 strikes, but the other had the front 3 and I had 2 washouts and a split down the stretch to let him back in. BOTH washes I missed by exactly ONE board, and on the split I hit my spot and the ball just jumped off the end of the pattern [shrug].

Earlier was our first go on the "Great Depression" pattern, which was MUCH shorter than the 2 previous patterns, so I had to go out to the 5 board or so, but I used pretty aggressive stuff out there. It WAS shorter, but more volume, so I didn't need the less aggressive stuff I hauled in with me. Yesterday I prebowled for this week's session and I was set up at the other end of the house, on a pair that we don't use in league. I played it pretty much in the same spot but with less aggressive-more-medium stuff. I think that the surface on that pair must be more frictiony. I shot about the same number I had on Thursday for series. [shrug again]...I DID have 3 washouts after not having any before, but picked 2 of them. both sets were in the 530 range (on my 150something average)

equipment list too

#199546 - 06/29/18 08:30 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline

I don't know where I ended up in this go 'round's step ladder...I was sitting 3rd, but had an awful session last night. The scores were depressed league wide last night. The house was resurfacing the approaches on the first 1/2 of the house, so instead of 2 matches per pair we had 3, AND we were at the end of the house we do not usually use. There are 30 of us and I think there was a total of THREE games over 200. Yuk! Off to nationals (Sunday team, Monday d/s)

equipment list too

#199548 - 06/29/18 11:36 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Good luck at Nationals. Looks like you got some good preparation though from bowling on these challenging patterns.

Hadn't really been bowling consistently the past few weeks, trying to work on some changes in my game (mainly getting more under the ball) and having issues with consistency. Tuesday night started with 139 after leaving three pocket 7-9s. It's unsanctioned, on a challenge pattern, there's no prize money, but still UGH. I actually switched to 2-handed for the remaining two games and went 220, 191 to finish the night. It was a fun little experiment and was nice having some area but by the 3rd game I kept having to chase it right and just didn't have the ball speed to stay in the pocket consistently.

Wednesday night was subbing at another house for a friend who is at Nationals so I knew I needed to do better. Put the brace back on for extra support but kept working on staying under it and giving it a little turn at the bottom. This place tends to make the shot stupid easy in the summer and it was. Moved into the oil line a bit and flung it out to the dry. 257, 256, 236 for 749. I'll take it.

Then last night in my doubles league bowling at a house that seems to be trying to save money on oil. No hold in this place the last 2 weeks and I've been under 600 back-to-back weeks. Focused on the same type of thing, getting the ball out to the left and having it come back. First game shot a clean 213, followed by 244 but then in the 3rd game struggled to carry. Left a flat 7 and tried to adjust by moving a bit outside to get it to hit higher in the pocket and left a 4-6. Then ringing 7 on the following shot which I whiffed, sitting at 75 after 5.

I knew I had to stay in the oil so focused on making the best shot I could make from that angle. Dug deep and ended up going off the sheet for 225. We were bowling the vacant and were behind after taking the first two games and my teammate was struggling so I knew I needed to keep striking to keep us in it. He struck out in the 10th after 3 straight opens which helped take the pressure off me and I was able to strike out as well. Ended up winning that game by 23. We were in 5th going into the night but only 4 points out of first place so got a chance.

#199578 - 07/06/18 08:44 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2018 thread [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline

well....nats was a bust...

AND when I got to the bowling alley last night, I found out I had missed the cut for the step-ladder by SIX pins....of course, my last game last week was a stellar 101...OY!

Last night was the first week on the Houdini's escape pattern...Look it up. 48' and with a wedge of oil right where you'd normally like the ball to come off the oil for that length. Coupla 170something games before my wheels came off. nertz. My opponent shot it straight up 12 the whole night an shot 617.
crud

equipment list too

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/21/18 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 07/21/18 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.