BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199187 - 03/11/18 10:10 AM For the good of the sport?
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Is it? Be interesting to see if these changes are implemented. My guess no but who knows.
Attached is the new proposed changes if you have not already read.

Attachments
372942166-USBC-Proposed-Ball-Specification-Changes-Letter-to-Manufacturers-Jan-16-2018(1).pdf (32 downloads)

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199188 - 03/11/18 10:15 AM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

oops posted twice

Attachments
372942166-USBC-Proposed-Ball-Specification-Changes-Letter-to-Manufacturers-Jan-16-2018(1).pdf (15 downloads)

Edited by BOSStull (03/11/18 10:29 AM)

#199189 - 03/11/18 11:30 AM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
One sticks out to me as having a obvious problem, and that is #3 about liquid cleaners. What happens when there is a machine malfunction of some sort and a foreign substance that adversely affects my bowling ends up on my ball. If it can only be effectively removed by a liquid cleaner, am I just supposed to deal with it and do nothing?

Mark

#199190 - 03/11/18 11:31 AM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Just about all of my bowling balls have balance holes in them. Perhaps the answer to what to do is to just plug the balance holes. I'll be spending money with the Pro Shop, but it won't be too bad. Perhaps I'll have to plug and redrill them. At least I won't have to throw away anything with a high differential value as that would cost me more.
Chad Murphy is everyone's best friend.
I think the USBC should have focused solely on the oil absorption as that's what takes the oil off the lanes "too quickly" like it's stated. It's what kills the reaction of the ball over time as well. I'd rather have a ball last longer than be an oil hog.
Have a great day... smile

#199192 - 03/11/18 11:49 AM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I've heard many state that some will simply go to filling them with foam or a substance that makes plugging a moot point. What I think is hilarious is the study comparing bowlers throwing strong balls on heavier oil versus urethane on light oil. With no reference to actual reality, the USBC is stating that their goal is less oil, which of course proprietors (BPAA is in the same building), love this idea.
Since league conditions are regulated as much as deer hunting on the Moon, I wonder where all this oil is during most league bowling?

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#199193 - 03/11/18 05:58 PM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I hate these "studies" not because of anything having to do with equipment but because of what it represents.

To me, these studies represent a USBC wasting time, energy, and resources. Not focusing on bringing value to USBC membership. Not focusing on advertising or attempting to lure more bowlers to the game. Not focusing on what really matters to the 99% of league bowlers.

At first I was excited to see an accomplished and respected bowler taking over USBC. The more I watch Cad however, the more I see he's really only interested in pushing an agenda that the 1% rumble about.

That's what I think of these studies. My favorite balls have always been the lowest tier in the lineup. I love Vibes and Tropical Heats. I won't miss the super soakers. Scores were sky high in the 90s when strong reactive then is comparable to weak reactive today. Once the lane oilers catch up to the rule changes, scores will remain high. This will make no difference at all.

Wasted time.

In the mean time leagues continue to dwindle. Members gripe about value. Many leagues go unsanctioned. Sandbagging seriously infiltrated the USBC Open last year. Those are the things that matter to me and most of us. How do we get more people bowling? Answer that question first; then we can focus on whether or not equipment is too strong, if there's too much oil, and how do we "slope rate" each house in America.

#199199 - 03/12/18 07:47 PM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

As for the ball cleaner all approve during competition cleaners should be allowed but limited to use only when a foreign substance other than lane oil is on the ball. I have seen bowlers that have a wet rag and use after every ball return and then thrown on top of other balls. I can see where the dry rag proposal came from.

As for the other proposal I have no problem as long as balls are grandfathered in. Most of my balls have balance holes and would have to be plugged. I don't think that the USBC members should have to bare the cost of making a previously approved ball legal again.

Ball manufacturers will just design cores that the dynamics of a ball can be changed by just changing how or where the holes are drilled. Radical has already done that with the FIX. They will find a way to enhance the drilling without motion holes.

And by the way I do not intend to purchase another ball until USBC makes their decision. Why drill a ball today that may need to be plugged or not be able to drill a ball in a way that is illegal today but legal tomorrow.

#199200 - 03/13/18 09:05 AM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BOSStull
As for the ball cleaner all approve during competition cleaners should be allowed but limited to use only when a foreign substance other than lane oil is on the ball. I have seen bowlers that have a wet rag and use after every ball return and then thrown on top of other balls. I can see where the dry rag proposal came from.

I agree with the wet rag/towel on other equipment being an issue. However, I'm more inclined that they're looking at ball reaction since that's the basis of a lot of the other rules such as absorption or the balance holes. If they did put in a foreign substance exception, I could see the rule being too vague and possibly abused. Could someone "accidentally" get a foreign substance on their ball after taking it away from the return as an excuse to clean it in the middle of competition? I know it could be a stretch, but it could be possible.

Mark

#199201 - 03/13/18 06:54 PM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: Mkirchie]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
One sticks out to me as having a obvious problem, and that is #3 about liquid cleaners. What happens when there is a machine malfunction of some sort and a foreign substance that adversely affects my bowling ends up on my ball. If it can only be effectively removed by a liquid cleaner, am I just supposed to deal with it and do nothing?

Mark

If it's an approved ball cleaner, you can use it. It's happened to me where the ball stuck in the return rubber wheel, and I routinely inform the opponent that I am cleaning it. Never had a problem. And, they never checked my cleaner for approval either.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199202 - 03/13/18 09:43 PM Re: For the good of the sport? [Re: champ]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: champ
My favorite balls have always been the lowest tier in the lineup. I love Vibes and Tropical Heats. I won't miss the super soakers. Scores were sky high in the 90s when strong reactive then is comparable to weak reactive today. Once the lane oilers catch up to the rule changes, scores will remain high. This will make no difference at all.

I agree that the scores will remain high but I do think it will make a difference. The other issue is bowling becoming an arms race where it's really about the ball in your hand rather than the ability of the bowler. Sure, on the house shot you might be able to get to the pocket with anything but it all comes down to carry. With less oil those Vibes and Tropical Heats are going to work better, plus you don't have to worry about other bowlers on your pair with the big daddy oil soaker chewing up the heads or burning up a line inside yours.

I also like the proposal to change from one to three ounces of side weight. I was concerned before when this was first rumored because I'd be severely limited with drilling options (a lot of my balls do have balance holes) but the extra allowance should allow my driller to get me the reaction I want and still be within legal specifications.

If I have to spend some money to get stuff plugged (or on that foam that Steve mentioned) that's fine too cause less oil will mean the balls I have should last longer plus I hopefully will not feel the need to purchase multiple bowling balls each season to keep up with the scoring pace.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Today at 08:17 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by Dennis Michael - 09/18/18 08:46 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:27 PM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:23 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by wronghander - 08/23/18 11:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.