BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19926 - 03/29/05 09:05 PM Allow your Target to Guide You!
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
You all know to look at your target and you know that you need to see whether you are hitting your target or not.

Your target can also be thought of as a homing beacon or, in our modern day war environment, as a target for a laser-guided bomb...

In simpler terms, watching your target guides your approach. I like to say "focus on your target, allow your subconscious to bowl". Or now "Focus on your Target, allow your target to guide your bowling".

So your target is not only a means for targeting accuracy, but it's also a means for delivery consistency. How can you deliver the ball consistently if you don't focus on your target from your pushaway through your release and followthrough and until the ball has rolled over it?!

Dave

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#19927 - 03/29/05 10:39 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
ACK Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41/male/ Indiana
I like to think "Focus on my line" The line to the
break point.

It is amazing how things fall in place when you stop thinking of the swing and release and just focus on the mark or line.

#19928 - 03/29/05 10:43 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Well put. I think going off-line is more common that most people think.

How many times have you hit your target, only to have the shot end up totally different than the last few on the same board?

In my view, there are actually FOUR boards that matter. Feet, release, target, and breakpoint. Now, that's alot to keep in mind...but it doesn't have to be.

Feet..simple, just where you stand...not alot of work there.

Target...just hit it.

Release...IF you move towards your target in a consistent manner shot after shot, it will fall in line on it's own. For example, if I am throwing straight up the 5 board, I will line up around the 13. I make my approach and release, watch it roll over the 5 board, and on to the pins. Since I keep my balance pretty well, all I have to do is look down at my foot to see where I am. If I'm on the 13...my release was on the 5...just where I wanted it.

Actually, come to think of it...with my new style...I'm only "pretty sure" my release is 8 boards right of my slide.

Thanks, Dave...you gave me something to check the next time I bowl...lol

John

#19929 - 03/29/05 10:45 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I agree with the " Focus on my line" quote. I like to drive the ball through the arrow, to my breakpoint. If I only focus on the arrow, then I tend to throw the ball to soft.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#19930 - 03/30/05 07:09 AM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by ACK:
I like to think "Focus on my line" The line to the break point.
It is amazing how things fall in place when you stop thinking of the swing and release and just focus on the mark or line.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Hello Bowling Fans. John Jowdy in his book has the exact same belief as all of you.

You must visualize your line, your ball's axis rotation, where the bowling ball breaks, before you ever roll your ball. Once on the approach its "Minimum thought and Maximum effort.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by 802DAVE:
In simpler terms, watching your target guides your approach. I like to say "focus on your target, allow your subconscious to bowl". Or now "Focus on your Target, allow your target to guide your bowling".
So your target is not only a means for targeting accuracy, but it's also a means for delivery consistency. How can you deliver the ball consistently if you don't focus on your target from your pushaway through your release and followthrough and until the ball has rolled over it?!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Dave is absolutely correct. Our focus on the target brings all of our mental and physical skill to bear on the shot. Susie Minshew teaches this, " If you can visualize a shot that is reasonable for your physical abilities and the lane conditions, your right brain can execute it". Of course Dean Hinitz the Sport's Psycologist teaches this, "Visualize what the ball will do on the lane...roll and rotation, ball path and breakpoint... as if viewing the future...". Even Fred borden whose book is mostly about the physical aspect of bowling says "Picture the line in your mind".

This has really helped me here in this years closing moments the of season. I bowl as though there is a curtain over the pins. My focus and concentration has increased. My ability to relax has increased exponentially. Bowling is fun again.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#19931 - 03/30/05 10:40 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
ACK Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41/male/ Indiana
How do you convice someone that focuses on their swing to start focusing on the line? It is one of the hardest things to get someone to quit.

#19932 - 03/31/05 07:46 AM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
Magpie Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Male / Rochford England
You are right of course, it is difficult to focus on more than one thing that is why we must use Muscle Memory, beloved of Coach Rich.

You must practice the swing (placement, Push-away, step cadence and direction etc) until it becomes second nature and this allows you to then concentrate on the line you are bowling.

When I am bowling well (increasingly rare these days) I have an almost zen like moment on the approach. A pink elephant could be doing the can-can on the next lane and I would not notice (actually with some of the bowlers in my league a elephant doing the can-can would have more grace and balance).

I choose my set up position, focus on my target, make sure that I am lined up and then deliver.

Not sure how long I take but I am probably one of the quicker bowlers from picking tha ball up on the rack to delivery.

As I said in another thread when I actually release the ball I am not looking directly at my target, put simply I aim from the back of the approach. This works for me but I have found it difficult to explain to other people so I usually teach using a target line to walk in the right direction and then fix on a visual reference to keep them on-line. A process of trial an error refines what target is best for them.

#19933 - 03/31/05 10:18 AM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Mary Ellen
I found the problem with my thumb and it is fixed.
Last night I went to my wedns league and went straight to the Pro Shop. Told them what I thought
it was and they said no way it is not the reverse
pitch as you have 1/4 forward but there is a burr in
side the thumb hole and we will fix it. They fixed it and its wonderful. I bowled ok but nothing special. I should be ok. Also I tried a new delivery
and position. I hold the ball in non bowling left
hand insert fingers line up and go. The problem is
I did not try it until third game. Held ball in front of chest 45% kept hand that way and shot 175
and picked up the spares. Oh how I wish I had done
it sooner. bowling joel

#19934 - 03/31/05 02:06 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by ACK:
How do you convice someone that focuses on their swing to start focusing on the line? It is one of the hardest things to get someone to quit. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">ACK, Practice, practice, practice and then more practice. We can only control just so many things in Bowling. Our approach, delivery and release are the only things that we can control. When we practice we hone these skills and commit and burn them into memory, hopefully correctly, then they become automatic. Our chosen target and line are variables in this equation and thus become are focus.

Sure once something is burned into our memory it is hard to deviate from. But the first step in unlearning something is to admit that it is wrong. Next, admit and seek help from a coach. Then listen to that coach. Finally our commitment will take us through practice of new things to where we need to be. Happy bowling.

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#19935 - 03/31/05 06:04 PM Re: Allow your Target to Guide You!
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Darrell: Not only is the first step in "un-learning" something admitting it is wrong, it also seems to be the HARDEST step.

The fear of change can cause us to NOT be very willing to accept changes. But, look at it this way...if your current style isnt working well for you, what's the harm in changing a few things?? Can't do any worse, and you will ALWAYS learn something from the attempts at changes...

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 03:49 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/08/20 04:33 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.