BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199108 - 02/22/18 08:50 AM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: 82Boat69]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I have friends who succumb to the hype. buy new balls ev 3 months. But, they drill it the same on all balls.

one drilling doesn't necessarily say it will work on another ball.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199111 - 02/22/18 12:05 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
The THS I bowl on I believe is 41 feet. Yesterday morning during warm up I found I had to start by standing on board 32 with the inside of my slide foot and was targeting around board 14 or 15 to keep the ball in play. I guess the lanes were pretty used up.
I moved to a bit weaker ball after game 1 and could move a bit right, but not much and later I was back out at board 32 with that same less aggressive ball.
As a kid I almost always played down and in. Now I'm more than ten boards to the left of where I used to be comfortable. Bowling on synthetics with reactive resin balls is surely a different game and the coverstocks and weight blocks have made it with even more variables that make an engineer like myself something to think about at least. I used to calculate RG for machines I used to work on... smile Inertia and friction were an every day thought for me as an engineer... smile I've had to put my engineering hat back on when I go bowling now...

#199117 - 02/22/18 01:50 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I was fortunate enough to work in a bowling alley when I was a kid. There weren't any lane machines back then. We simply filled a bug sprayer with lane conditioner and walked backwards laying the conditioner down, gutter to gutter and for 60 feet. Then we used a drag to even out the oil and pick up any excess.

I say fortunate, because without any rules to go by, the only ways a person could get the ball close to the pocket was to play way outside and angle-in to the pocket, or stand left of center and throw down the 12 board and hoping it would hook 2 boards. Anything sent too wide had no chance of hitting the pocket.

Learning to throw from inside has paid dividends in the current environment of typical-house-slots. Where I bowl, I usually start on 30 and move as far left as 38. I don't adjust 2 & 1, I simply move my feet. The point is to accumulate more oil as the ball skids outward, but to use the dry area outside 7 to force the ball back to the pocket.

Actually, I don't throw as much inside as my cronies say. I may start on 38 with my left foot, but drift right about 10 boards. If you figure 10 more boards from the middle of my body to my shoulder, my set-down is fully 20 boards right of my starting location of 38. I'm setting down on 18 and going across the arrows around 12 and swinging about 7.

#199125 - 02/23/18 12:22 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: 82Boat69]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
setting down at 18 is 2 boards outside of the center. That's pretty well "inside". LOL

It's not swinging it, but . . . it's not outside either! smile Typically when I talk to my wife about bowling her (or my) "outside" line, it's setting it down at the 10 or father out. If it's her "inside" line, that's setting it down between 15-20.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#199126 - 02/23/18 05:34 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: mmalsed]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Crossing over the 4th arrow is inside to me :-) I guess it's all relative.

#199132 - 02/24/18 08:36 AM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: 82Boat69]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Sometimes I feel very alone while league bowling because I'm one of the few bowlers I know who is willing to move left as lanes dry out. The team we bowled last night plus 4 of the 5 bowlers on our team tear up the right side to shreds. Some of the bowlers on the other team were really struggling as the lanes changed. Their best bowler who has a stronger release was still throwing aggressive equipment and struggling. On one shot he got outside, it hit weak enough to leave a 5-7-10. He eventually moved to a weaker ball. Meanwhile, I stuck with my weaker Danger Zone the whole night and moved progressively left. By the end of the night, I was laying down on 21 and targeting 16. If I got a touch in, it held nice and still read the end of the pattern to carry. If I got it right, it turned back to the pocket like it hit a brick wall and retained energy to carry.

Mark

#199133 - 02/24/18 05:41 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

For everyone with trouble sleeping, here's the latest technical information coming out of USBC covering new technology on the game of bowling;

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...y/FullStudy.pdf

After my first reading, I'm even more convinced that my contention that drilling is almost meaningless is correct.

So much discusson about drilling places significant importance on RG and differential. According to USBC, a person could actually experience a 37 RPM difference between a ball with an RG of 2.46 versus 2.80. However, how many people have a ball with an RG over 2.55? How many can even find one. If you can find one, will it have the same surface as your ball with an RG of 2.46? If not, forget the 37 RPM's and expect 5 or less.

#199135 - 02/24/18 05:55 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

I bowl in a senior league and my experience is the same as yours. Everyone wants to shoot outside and will simply increase their speed or change balls to something less aggressive to prevent them having to move their feet.

It would be interesting to see everyone's average game by game to see which methodology works best. Currently I average 205 in game 1, 205 in game 2, 215 in game 3 and 210 in game 4. Clearly, moving left is much better for me than fighting to stay outside. It's why I've been experimenting with equipment I can stand farther left with.

I also need something that will cause my ball to 'want' to transition sooner on fresh oil. That's why I've begun to play around with pin-down layouts, despite my belief, it won't really matter. But, I won't really know until I try.

I would say in my league that 80% of the players have a ball drilled to go long and hook hard at the end. As a result, in games 1 & 2, they struggle getting the ball into the pocket. Even if they get to the pocket, deflection hurts their pin-carry. They do much better in games 3 & 4 if they can keep their shots off the nose :-) I say the lane condition comes to them versus them adjusting to the lane :-)

#199140 - 02/25/18 10:37 AM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: 82Boat69]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Moving left as lanes get spent is a standard practice. I don't understand why a bowler wouldn't. I have narrowed my approach and now spot my foot at 25. but, as the lanes break down I move left. Last week, I ended up at 37 without a ball change.

I still target down lane at the range finder marks and can't really tell you what arrow I roll over. But, I can see the result and know I was more to the 12 board then the 16.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199141 - 02/25/18 01:26 PM Re: Hype Versus Reality [Re: Dennis Michael]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

I never really pay attention to the arrows either. I'm always looking about 4 feet beyond the arrows in an attempt to be on a specific board when my ball comes off the pattern. It also helps with speed control. If I begin to come up short, I know I'm losing speed, I need to move left or maybe it's time to change balls.

We don't have range finder marks down lane, but I wish we did. I'd use them :-)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.