, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199082 - 02/16/18 12:17 PM Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
mduminiak Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Pennsylvania
I'll be bowling on my first sport pattern in about a week, which is the Wolf oil pattern, and was looking for some advice regarding ball choice and lane play strategy. My current arsenal includes the following:

Hy-road Nano (2000 ab)
Code Red (4000)
Hy-road Pearl (4000 ab)
Matchup Pearl (4000 ab)

I'm left handed with med/high ball speed and med revs. I also have a ball spinner and abralon pads so changing surface is an option.

My initial thought is to start with the Hyroad Pearl playing a closed angle to around board 4 at the breakpoint.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199089 - 02/17/18 10:15 PM Re: Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern [Re: mduminiak]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
The Wolf, being 33', has A LOT of backend. When people first approach a short pattern, their initial thought is to use a ball that goes long. Try to get the ball to skid further. That will not happen. Your shiny bowling balls, which react violently to friction, will be too uncontrollable on the super strong backends of a short pattern.

I would start with your Nano. Its the smoothest rolling ball in your arsenal. That's exactly what you want. Smooth, controllable motion. Wolf also has a lot of oil in the front; your nano will help the ball read and roll. That's the key to scoring on this pattern.

You will want you ball exiting the pattern as close to the gutter as you are comfortable getting it. Being a lefty, you may be able to get lined up on the gutter, and use your nano all night without much need to move.

Have fun. I love short patterns.
Career Highs: 300/759

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses. Recent Posts
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Richie V. - 8 minutes 45 seconds ago
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - Today at 12:24 AM
Thoughts on Sweeps?
by mmalsed - Yesterday at 12:11 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 03/19/18 08:41 PM
Hype Versus Reality
by BOSStull - 03/18/18 09:12 AM
Informal poll
by 82Boat69 - 03/16/18 11:31 AM
Where can I find soles for Dynorooz S1500?
by djp1080 - 03/04/18 08:14 PM
advice needed for my son's first ball
by Jason_C - 02/28/18 03:47 PM
finally finished my league arsenal (Motiv)
by Jason_C - 02/28/18 08:08 AM
Time to throw the ball
by soulman327 - 02/26/18 11:07 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat,,, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.