BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198961 - 01/30/18 06:06 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA

If we could only bring the "Romance" back to the game.
Get people to have that "feeling" again that they had back in the 60's.
But provide better, more consistent modern conditions with difficult, but not impossible house shots.
Make it hard enough that if you carry a 180 league average then you are a very good bowler.

The hope is we wont see anymore of this crazy kind of stuff:

AJ Rice of Columbus, Georgia 26, won the men's award after posting a 254.2 clip for 71 games during the Thursday Nite Blues league at Columbus' Bowlero.

How do you average 254 for 71 games???
Something is seriously wrong.

We need to put some sanity back into bowling.

Last night in league I watched some pretty poor bowlers chuck their reactive balls down the lane with all kinds of odd spins on them.
Everything from straight up like a top, to sideways like a bullet, and they could get a lot of strikes doing this.
I would just watch the ball slide up the lane spinning and then I could call the move every time and say to myself: "Watch that modern tech laser guide that bomb to the target" and the ball would suddenly jump at the pins and 9 times out of 10 they got great carry and left a makeable spare.

There was another bowler who throws the ball 20 mph as measured at the pins!
Somehow he puts enough revs on the ball to get it to barely roll by the time it gets back there.
He gets really mad if he does not get a strike on every pocket hit.
Really?
Take that reactive ball away from him and the house shot and guess what?
You better learn how to throw a real lot slower!

Anyway, we have got to save the game, bring back the Dignity, Respect and the Romance the game once had and of course the integrity in scoring and averages.

Golf is really, really hard, yet people love to play it because it is really, really hard.
And we respect the top players because us hacks know it is really, really hard because we can play on the same course as the pros and have our you know whats handed to us.

That's what I mean by integrity in scoring and averages.

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Hammer Black Widow Urethane
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198962 - 01/30/18 06:31 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: nord]
mmalsed Online   content
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
People don't play golf because it's hard - and even though it IS hard, check on the amount of controversy regarding clubs getting bigger and bigger sweet spots and becoming even more forgiving, and balls getting more forgiving or going straighter or whatever.

People play golf because of cache, because of community. It's seen as the "executive" game. The game that elite well-off people play, with some bourbon, and with other men of means.

Take those guys with the strange throws - take their reactive balls away and they quit the game.

What would be better would be to teach those people to make spares - "Strike for show, spare for dough" and show them that making their spares actually improves their game a TON. smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198963 - 01/30/18 06:52 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline

I like Golf because it is really, really hard and because it is fun to walk in the open air and take your time.
If bowling conditions were made super hard so my average dropped to 140, I would be ok with that because it would be "real."

I remember one season at Kearny, just for fun, I only bowled with a plastic ball because I knew it would be impossible to strike with it on that heavy oil.
There were actually good players we bowled against that asked me why I was using that ball and that I should buy a reactive ball so I could strike. The felt sorry for me.
I just pretended ignorance of modern tech and and thanked them.
I averaged 161 that season with non-hooking plastic.
I once had a series where I had 16 consecutive closed spare frames with that DV8 Gold Plastic ball.

And guess what?
I had fun using that ball with all its limitations that season!

I knew a guy who used to work at the Pro Shop who finally bowled his first 300 game.
He did it with a Taboo Spare. He said the lane was real dry and he had to use his spare ball.
He was actually disappointed he bowled is first 300 with a spare ball and was kinda ashamed he didn't use one of his reactive balls.
I think it was great that he used a coverstock that didn't offer him a lot of forgiveness even though the core was a monster.

Edited by nord (01/30/18 07:05 PM)

Arsenal

#198964 - 01/30/18 06:53 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: nord]
Mkirchie Offline

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: nord

That's a big ask from people because outside of the spike of popularity, bowling has generally not had a very good reputation. Whether it be smoking, drinking, hustling, or out of shape men, this is what most people think of even though it did become very mainstream when it was at its peak. Additionally, the majority of today's bowlers never lived through that time to know what it was truly like and aren't necessarily going to be interested.

Golf is really, really hard, yet people love to play it because it is really, really hard.

True, but golf is also currently on a bit of a decline itself. I'm not sure people loved to play because it was really hard, people loved to play because it became trendy. Human nature is to follow trends, I believe bowling was in one of those trends during its heyday.

While I do agree with house shots being ridiculous and the equipment being very strong, very few people truly want integrity in anything these days. We live in a society where people bump another person's car in a parking lot and won't take responsibility for their actions. Heck, integrity wasn't always there in the game even in the past (Don McCune and drums of MEK for example.)

I appreciate the history of the game and those years, I also enjoy reading about how much you appreciate that era. However I cynically think that trying to go back in time would do more harm than good.

Mark

#198966 - 01/30/18 07:22 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: Mkirchie]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie

That's a big ask from people because outside of the spike of popularity, bowling has generally not had a very good reputation. Whether it be smoking, drinking, hustling, or out of shape men, this is what most people think of even though it did become very mainstream when it was at its peak. Additionally, the majority of today's bowlers never lived through that time to know what it was truly like and aren't necessarily going to be interested.

True, but golf is also currently on a bit of a decline itself. I'm not sure people loved to play because it was really hard, people loved to play because it became trendy. Human nature is to follow trends, I believe bowling was in one of those trends during its heyday.

While I do agree with house shots being ridiculous and the equipment being very strong, very few people truly want integrity in anything these days. We live in a society where people bump another person's car in a parking lot and won't take responsibility for their actions. Heck, integrity wasn't always there in the game even in the past (Don McCune and drums of MEK for example.)

I appreciate the history of the game and those years, I also enjoy reading about how much you appreciate that era. However I cynically think that trying to go back in time would do more harm than good.
Mark

If I was a multi-millionaire I would open a brand new totally Vintage style bowling house.
Classic looking lanes with a totally 1960's interior look.
I would have posters of all the bowlers of the past on the walls.
A great classic style bar with no TVs!
A bartender who knows how to make real martinis.
Classly looking glassware.

I would hold Vintage tournaments where you must use a Rubber ball to enter.
We would have rubber only leagues too.
Lane patterns would be hard but not impossible.
People would feel like they went back in time when they entered.
Wouldn't that be cool?

Arsenal

#198967 - 01/30/18 09:00 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
WOW!! No wonder you're so good.

Very, very cool. and, with a Varipapa section on Duck pins too. All I have is Bowling for Dummies.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198970 - 01/30/18 10:51 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: Dennis Michael]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
WOW!! No wonder you're so good.

Very, very cool. and, with a Varipapa section on Duck pins too. All I have is Bowling for Dummies.

Ha, ha.
Yep these books and pamphlets are totally cool.
It is a nostalgic pleasure to read them.

Oh, on the subject of Performance Enhancing Gear, the Olympics is considering banning Kinesthetic Tape because it provides greater performance and recovery.
Bowlers are using this now too and it is a Performance Enhancer.
So there is one more thing we have to ban to bring back the 60's Era of bowling! thumbsup

Arsenal

#198971 - 01/31/18 10:47 AM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: nord]
Mkirchie Offline

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
So there is one more thing we have to ban to bring back the 60's Era of bowling!

No shoes with interchangeable soles should be allowed either. No smart devices, you earlier said no TV's in your bar. Is going on internet forums outside of league such as this one for advice going to be banned? What wrist devices are allowed? No finger inserts or thumb/interchangeable slugs allowed. Plastic balls were developed in 1959, why should they be banned? You mentioned only rubber in your post. The lane surfaces should be the flammable lacquer finishes, not urethane as it was in the 70's. Remember that lacquer needed frequent refinishing since balls wore tracks into the lacquer quickly and were known to develop burnt in track areas where most people played. Any computerized scoring? If not, there will be no open bowling revenue since lots of people can't score or do math very well in their head. Sorry, I just wanted to play a little devil's advocate.

I think as humans, we tend to have a much more favorable view of the past than we do of the present or future. Things will keep on changing and and advancing in only one direction.

I'm not against the USBC dialing back some things that have been done and grandfathering in past approved equipment if necessary. I want to make sure bowling still exists so I believe we have to focus on what can be done to improve things the way that they currently are. The outright banning of all equipment other than rubber to bring the game to an era almost half a century in the past is mutually assured destruction in my opinion.

Mark

#198972 - 01/31/18 11:20 AM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: Mkirchie]
nord Offline

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
So there is one more thing we have to ban to bring back the 60's Era of bowling!

I'm not against the USBC dialing back some things that have been done and grandfathering in past approved equipment if necessary. I want to make sure bowling still exists so I believe we have to focus on what can be done to improve things the way that they currently are. The outright banning of all equipment other than rubber to bring the game to an era almost half a century in the past is mutually assured destruction in my opinion.
Mark

I don't think it would be assured destruction.
Baseball has remained the same since it started because rules prevent it from changing into something other than baseball.
Modern tech is not allowed with the exception of better made mits and shoes.
People still love it just as much as they always have, maybe more.

I quote this paragraph from the Wall Street Journal to show you that we could do the same thing for bowling:

"What kind of game did they play then compared with now?
Despite the differences in players' ethnic backgrounds, rules changes, and an increase in time on the road, baseball hasn't changed that much.
National League hitters averaged .262 in 1958 and .260 50 years later, with each team averaging 148 home runs in 1958 and 163 in 2008.
There was a slightly bigger change in the American League: In 1958, hitters averaged .254 with each team averaging 132 home runs, compared with .268 and 162 in 2008.
When you consider that there's an extra eight games today (added back in 1961) and that the designated hitter was adopted by the AL in 1973, the difference doesn't seem all that great."

Arsenal

#198974 - 01/31/18 12:05 PM Re: Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane [Re: nord]
mmalsed Online   content
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA

Oh, on the subject of Performance Enhancing Gear, the Olympics is considering banning Kinesthetic Tape because it provides greater performance and recovery.
Bowlers are using this now too and it is a Performance Enhancer.
So there is one more thing we have to ban to bring back the 60's Era of bowling! thumbsup

That's funny - my orthopedic surgeon keeps telling me that it's fine to use K-Tape, but that there is no scientific evidence to show it is actually beneficial.

It FEELS beneficial to my knee (in addition to my unloader brace) but . . . LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Hype Versus Reality
by mmalsed - 25 minutes 50 seconds ago
Time to throw the ball
by mmalsed - 31 minutes 13 seconds ago
Informal poll
by champ - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.