BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198856 - 01/16/18 03:41 PM Competing against high rev, high speed players
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I'm in a high end scratch league. Match point with 25 points per night.

Every week I have been matched up against younger bowlers who have high revs, high speed and lot's of hand. It seems that every week they are putting up large strings and I don't keep up. (last night was 259, 259, 214 to my 182, 194, 210)

I'll admit, the oil conditions aren't favorable to how I bowl. I'm forced to play straight up, which isn't my A game. It's also speed sensitive. Too slow = over hook and split. Too fast = late break (weak 10) or washout.

My daytime average is 210 at this house while my nighttime average is 196. The house puts down a second layer of oil prior to the start of the night leagues but doesn't clean the back ends. I believe this is the reason for my reduced scores at night.

I've tried every ball I have. I bought a new ball, which helped but I still don't ever find an area I can strike from consistently. I have to throw my absolute best shot to get a strike.

It seems like I need to learn how to bowl 2 handed or palm the ball to match up with these guys.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198857 - 01/16/18 06:40 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sounds like what is called an overlay shot. All it did was smoothen out what ever oil is still on the lane. And, you're right, it does not strip the back end.

On this, I find a symmetrical core, arcing ball is best for me. A strong cover rolls thru any carrydown as if it wasn't there. And, tames an iffy back end.

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/16/18 06:41 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198858 - 01/17/18 07:59 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Sounds like what is called an overlay shot. All it did was smoothen out what ever oil is still on the lane. And, you're right, it does not strip the back end.

On this, I find a symmetrical core, arcing ball is best for me. A strong cover rolls thru any carrydown as if it wasn't there. And, tames an iffy back end.

Almost everything I own is asymmetrical but I do have a symmetrical 900 Global X I could try.

Thanks,

#198892 - 01/24/18 10:28 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
Dylan585 Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 20/m/ny
You just have to figure out how to use where theyre playing to your advantage

High game: 288 (2 times now!)
High series: 710
Average: 197

Bag: Original Burgandy Hammer, Genesis the judge, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198894 - 01/25/18 09:46 AM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
To throw a ball faster with more on it, requires you to improve your technique. You can't purchase any bowling ball that will improve your technique.

Even more sad, if you didn't learn to throw a ball fast with big-RPM's when you first started bowling, it's unlikely you can learn to do that today. Not 'impossible', but very 'unlikely'.

So, like everyone who bowls E.J.Tackett or Jason Bel Monte, you have to accept the limitations of your 'own' game. Once you've made that mental adjustment, you can begin to maximize the strengths in your 'own' game and minimize the weaknesses in your 'own' game.

I read a book years ago about people running marathons. They were instructed to learn to compete with other runners in their near vicinity and forget about the front-runners. The people at the front are genetically off the planet.

Same applies to bowling. When bowling opponents who are much better than you, all you can do is make fewer mistakes, suck it up and accept they are simply better. If it helps, know that those who are worse bowlers than you think the same way about you as you do about those better than you :-)

If you make fewer mistakes, you'll gain a reputation as someone hard to get around. That reputation will cause those who make mistakes, to make more of them. You might even take down some 'big-stick' in the process :-)

#198897 - 01/25/18 12:39 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
that's not really helpful.

You have high-rev, high-speed bowlers who pretty much no matter where WE (the mere mortals) roll, cross our line at least once, often twice. This disrupts what WE have.

This is NOT like running a marathon (or more to what I used to do, ride long distance bike races) where the competition is really you vs. yourself.

In this case, bowling, our competition has an effect upon our playing surface. In a marathon, other runners do not impact our running surface (or cycling, other cyclists do not impact our cycling surface).

And that's honestly what we have to address. How do WE bowl "around" them. We oftentimes can't.

We don't have the power to go THROUGH them, oftentimes. We don't have the room to go AROUND them, oftentimes. Depending on the pattern, we are quite often stuck . . .

And saying, just don't make mistakes, doesn't help. Mistakes, sure. But when we have to cross two lines that have been carved in the oil pattern making our balls jump when we don't want them to. . . that's not a mistake.

So - to the original question:

1. Is there some type of ball that will allow us to cross without so much impact from their canyon carved? This would be a real help.

2. are there any (constructive) suggestions to help us bowl OUR game while being minimally impacted by THEIR game?

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198898 - 01/25/18 01:10 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
Dylan585 Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 20/m/ny
The best technique that I have observed is lower rev lower speed players will get inside of my and use my breakpoint as a kind of safety net... Theres nothing you can do to get around where they cross your line the first time... For example, a typical shot for me is about 5th arrow with a break point of the 10 board... The best success people have is to find a line that allows them to strike at say 12-15... That way if they miss out they can hit my breakpoint and recover. If you really hit the early hook where they cross your line the first time youll probably have to use something with some shine to get past that point... There is no magically ball to fix it its all about personal preference! Trying to play outside the break point of high speed high rev players is a death trap as you will end up with wicked over under... Hope this helps!

High game: 288 (2 times now!)
High series: 710
Average: 197

Bag: Original Burgandy Hammer, Genesis the judge, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198899 - 01/25/18 01:32 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: Dylan585]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
What seems to get lost in talking about high-speed, high-rev players is, they're doing just as much damage to their own line as they 'might' be doing to others.

Where they may have to begin lofting the gutter caps, us mere mortals can simply pick a spot that allows us to angle across their dry area and play a more moderate line. Just because they're way left, doesn't mean we are forced to play way left too.

So, it all boils down to making the right adjustments at the right time with the right equipment.

I wonder why nobody ever complains about left-handers [censored] up all the spares on the left side :-)

#198920 - 01/27/18 07:50 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: BowlerBill]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
What Dennis said works for me. When the lanes get trashed my particle ball works well.

"Let me bowl or let me die"

HG 300,
HS 811
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#199022 - 02/07/18 09:27 PM Re: Competing against high rev, high speed players [Re: Dylan585]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dylan585
You just have to figure out how to use where theyre playing to your advantage

This is what I have been doing. I found that by moving right I can play around them. I never thought I would able to target this area of the lane because the typical oil pattern is 10 to 10 with a lot of free hook outside. The free hook is deeper, around the 5 to 8 board. I can play 10 to 8 or 9 to 8 but I still have to watch the speed. Thanks

Th

Edited by BowlerBill (02/07/18 09:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.