BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198676 - 12/18/17 09:27 AM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: wronghander
Urethane is just a crutch that ruins the shot! Sorry, had to do it, lol.

I got it when you posted. BR post had a lot of interesting comments.

As for being a crutch I don't think so. If anything all my balls are crutches. They allow me to get the ball motion I desire without having to crank it.

Looks like the market is making a full circle on ball releases, cores, and covers. Stronger cores with urethane now. Next will be let's add some particles in the urethane to give it a little more bite.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198682 - 12/18/17 07:31 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: nord]
Dylan585 Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 20/m/ny
Ive had people get [censored] at me for 1 throwing urethane, and then 2 throwing it two handed and I love it! I get the "Your just ruining the shot wtf" My reply is that theres way more people throwing two handed and way more people throwing urethane so you better get used to it! rotfl Funny that a bowler who does PBA events had no issue with it and bowled fine against me... hmmmmm... Maybe you just need to know how to adjust when somebodies throwing urethane?

High game: 288 (2 times now!)
High series: 710
Average: 197

Bag: Original Burgandy Hammer, Genesis the judge, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198683 - 12/18/17 08:59 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: Dylan585]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I wouldn't worry too much about ruining our shot :-) Pushing a little more oil down lane is more help than hindrance for us old crankers :-)

No gutter-caps for me if I'm following you :-) You simply open up the lanes, allow us to store more energy and get a much wider angle that will still carry :-)

Still, if I could throw urethane two-handed, I would :-)

#198684 - 12/18/17 09:01 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: 82Boat69]
Dylan585 Offline

I totally agree with you!! People who have even a basic understanding of what they are doing should have no issues adjusting! The funny thing was I put more revs on the ball one handed and nobody ever complained then

Bag: Original Burgandy Hammer, Genesis the judge, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198685 - 12/18/17 09:10 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: BOSStull]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: BOSStull
Originally Posted By: wronghander
Urethane is just a crutch that ruins the shot! Sorry, had to do it, lol.

I got it when you posted. BR post had a lot of interesting comments.

As for being a crutch I don't think so. If anything all my balls are crutches. They allow me to get the ball motion I desire without having to crank it.

Looks like the market is making a full circle on ball releases, cores, and covers. Stronger cores with urethane now. Next will be let's add some particles in the urethane to give it a little more bite.

I do agree with Phil Cardinale's overall point though. People do use it as a crutch. No one should ever be saying "I had to throw urethane" and blaming their lack of carry on that. There are other options and you can get a urethane like reaction with a resin ball. I was considering a urethane ball myself over the summer but my PSO talked me into a BTU Pearl instead. I'm not sure I would do well with a true urethane. With my rotation (or lack thereof) I might be leaving a lot of flat 7s. The hook-set motion is only good if you can get your ball to face up to the pocket.

I do agree that it ruins the shot but lane preservation is not the bowlers responsibility. Urethane is not going away so it's up to Kegel and Brunswick to start developing some better lane oil that will help combat it.

#198686 - 12/18/17 09:17 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: Dylan585]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
Exactly! To wipes or not to wipes, that was the question? When everyone was throwing urethane in the late 70's and 80's, I can't remember a single person unhappy with carry-down. It was like adjusting a carburetor :-) Move left until the carry got a little rough and then move 1 board back to the right. Today, watching balls move so many boards in so little distance is not what most people like. Those throwing urethane today are just experiencing what everyone did back in the 80's. The sad part, ball manufacturers are slow to respond. The urethane craze, is just the result of so many people throwing so many rev's, burning up the lanes and needing weaker equipment. I'd rather throw a Tropical Breeze than a Pitch Black. I was looking at a Hot Cell and thinking, manufacturers are trying to do with urethane what they did with resin. LOL! Who said "Dry lanes make weak ball strong and strong balls weak"?

#198687 - 12/18/17 09:35 PM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: 82Boat69]
Dylan585 Offline

I think the new age urethane awful... I throw the judge (which is an original black hammer from back in the day) These new urethane balls are the ball makers trying to get the old school reaction with new age balls... I throw urethane not because I have too but because I like the reaction and I like the overall feel of using more old school equipment

#198690 - 12/19/17 06:32 AM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: nord]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Urethane practice again in Senior league. Lanes are usually very dry. And, all of my equipment is way too strong. I have used my plastic spare ball at times.

I'll get my Blue Hammer out and try it again, today.

My main problem is staying on the outside. It is not my normal line and rarely use it. With my out/in line, my delivery hand is out. when I do that with a Urethane, it slides down the channel.

I think I can swap my spare ball for the Urethane. Don't want to carry 6 balls.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198695 - 12/19/17 08:57 AM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: Dylan585]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: Dylan585
. hmmmmm... Maybe you just need to know how to adjust when somebodies throwing urethane?
Don't know if the you was directed at me but I will respond anyway. I adjust to what my ball is doing although I do take into account what everyone else is throwing and where. If it looks like carry down may be the culprit I will switch to one of my particle balls either the Yeah Baby or New Standard which ever one is in the bag at the time.

"Let me bowl or let me die"

HG 300,
HS 811
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#198698 - 12/19/17 09:47 AM Re: Hammer "Black Widow Urethane" [Re: 82Boat69]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Exactly! To wipe or not to wipe, that was the question? When everyone was throwing urethane in the late 70's and 80's, I can't remember a single person unhappy with carry-down. It was like adjusting a carburetor :-) Move left until the carry got a little rough and then move 1 board back to the right. Today, watching balls move so many boards in so little distance is not what most people like. Those throwing urethane today are just experiencing what everyone did back in the 80's. T

I had a Brunswick Twister in the 80s and still have the ball. I just showed up with it and bowled. No cleaning no wiping. It has since been replaced with an Artic Sniper that I use for spares. As in the 80s with the Twister I can play the TWIG with the Sniper if need be but there is really no reason to.

Originally Posted By: 82Boat69
Exactly! I was looking at a Hot Cell and thinking, manufacturers are trying to do with urethane what they did with resin. LOL! Who said "Dry lanes make weak ball strong and strong balls weak"?
I had the opportunity to throw the Hot Cell at a Storm DEMO back in November. I was not looking for a Urethane but I threw it just because it was there. Hot Cell may have it's purpose but not for me on a house shot.

"Let me bowl or let me die"

HG 300,
HS 811
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.