BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161398 - 01/23/12 11:48 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I just can't imagine what a fabric sole is, and why a wire brush would flake it. Guess I have to go to a Pro Shop and look for this.

It sounds like it is the shoe, and not you. If you suspect the sole got wet somehow, take a hair dryer to it and brush at the same time. Or under ahand dryer in the restroom while you bowl.

Hey, I've run out of tricks, without mentioning EZslide.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#161408 - 01/24/12 07:51 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I just can't imagine what a fabric sole is, and why a wire brush would flake it. Guess I have to go to a Pro Shop and look for this.

It sounds like it is the shoe, and not you. If you suspect the sole got wet somehow, take a hair dryer to it and brush at the same time. Or under ahand dryer in the restroom while you bowl.

It sounds like micro-fiber soles. A lot of the shoe companies have been using them on their slightly more expensive universal or low end hand specific shoes. When you take a wire brush to them it does remove some of the fabric and it's actually recommended not to use a brush on them, but sometimes you have to plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: prov1x_nxt
they are brand new out of the box. I took them straight from the box to my feet to the lanes with no slide. so back into the box and around my house on my carpet. back in the box, from the box to my feet on the lanes still nothing. like i said before they have a fabric like texture and also when i take a wire brush to them this all flakes off but its endless. and for the third or fourth time if it was my technique why can i slide in any other pair of shoes including the exactly same kind of shoes. but in other words no one knows what this is. best i can figure is they got wet in the factory or something. I dont know... i havent tried anything except the wire brush.

If it got wet in the factory or any other time before you got them, the sole should be dry and the brush should work. Without actually seeing the shoes or you trying to use them we are just going from personal experience of things that have gave us issues with shoes not sliding.

And yes it could possibly be technique even though you could slide with a previous pair. After the first couple of shots with the new shoes and not being able to slide, you might have changed how you go into the slide worrying about that stop and trying to adjust for it. I see it all the time when someone, including myself, sticks trying to slide and falls hard. They are a bit hesitant in trying to slide for several frames if not the rest of the night.

Other than the easy slide option, which only if used correctly I agree with, you could try getting a slide sock that slips right over the front of the shoe and is held on using elastic that goes to the back of the shoe. Or just take an old sock and put it over the slide sole of said shoe. But that kind of sucks having to do that with a new pair of shoes unless it's what you like.
HS:763

#161494 - 01/25/12 01:23 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
My son has a pair of Dexter Pro-Am shoes. The soles are course microfiber, not like the usual smooth ones. The usual ones are similar to the ones that come on the Ricky II's and even the SST's. They work though. I mainly bought them because one side has a traction sole.

#161629 - 01/28/12 09:01 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
i too have/had a similar issue with a pair of new shoes. my old ones [well, still using them] are 'universal' and are fairly flat, and well worn in. i get great slide and control with them. as they are getting kind of rough around the edges so to speak, i decided to buy a new pair. the new pair is a different design shoe [still 'universal'], it has a slightly higher heel area, and when wearing them, it felt like i was going down hill, as opposed to how my 'old' ones felt. i wore them on the carpet at home to help the slide portion of the shoe 'smooth' out and then tryed them out on the lanes. guess what? no slide! i came to the conclusion that due to the higher heel, i was ending up in a different position body-wise [sort of leaning back some, or straighter up over all] and ending up 'on the heel' thus effectively causing a braking action resulting in no slide.

long story short, shoes are in my closet getting dusty, as my old ones slowly fall apart.

still wonder if i should hit the heel with some sort of sanding to maybe taper it/smooth it or something to get the feel i want without wasting the shoes altogether.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

#161634 - 01/28/12 09:37 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

It sounds like micro-fiber soles. A lot of the shoe companies have been using them on their slightly more expensive universal or low end hand specific shoes. When you take a wire brush to them it does remove some of the fabric and it's actually recommended not to use a brush on them, but sometimes you have to plain and simple.

Haven't seen micro fiber soles anywhere. Course, I haven't looked at med to low end shoes. And, my Pro Shop doesn't handle them.

#161636 - 01/28/12 10:27 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Some of the high ends have them too, even some of the interchangeable sole shoes. Just to look at them they don't look much different than the typical slide sole so unless you read it on a package you might not know.
HS:763

#198901 - 01/26/18 07:52 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
avid15 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/m/MI
Iíve scrolled through all the replies Iíve seen, and figured Iíd put in something that nobody else I saw have mentioned. Adding Ďslideí powder to the bottoms of your shoe is not only dangerous for other bowlers on your lane with you, but also against USBC rules. And scrubbing the slide area of your shoe actually lessens the amount of slide youíll get out of them normally because it increases the overall surface area of the material, thereby increasing the contact patch and friction on the approach.

I have an issue with sliding myself, and I found that itís because when I walk, I place a lot of my weight on the heels. I found a relatively inexpensive way to fix that with thin adhesive pads placed on or close to the heels of my right shoe, being as I am a lefty. After experimenting I found where and how much to put it. If you try this route, start slow, with a smaller pad, because you can easily slide too much and fall.

#198903 - 01/26/18 10:31 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Certainly glad you mentioned that. I have been in so many arguments about powder on the floor, even the easy slide stuff. I don't need it and don't want to fall.

If I see a bowler using it, I tell them not to. If they do, I call the desk to clean the approach before I bowl.

Found a guy who put powder under the ball rack behind the seats. Stepped into it before he bowled. Well, the desk had to clean that too. He got upset, but, I don't care.

BTW, I find the regular Dexter shoes heel shreds in the slide. I have replaced a pair 3 times, under warranty. Won't wear them any more.

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/26/18 10:32 AM)

#198904 - 01/26/18 11:03 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
W9JAB Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 66/m/Il.
You want to slide? silicon spray will get you sliding.

#198907 - 01/26/18 01:16 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
IronMike Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 28/M/North Carolina
I used to have trouble sticking every once in a while (meaning once or twice a night I would not slide and either eat it or come very close). It was entirely my fault, sometimes I would just step wrong and plant my heel down.

You may already be doing this, but here's how I fixed it.

On my approach (standard 5 step approach, starting with the slide foot) I don't pick my foot up at all on the first step. I slide it forward on the pad, which gives me a feel for where my heel needs to be in order to slide. It also will tell me if something has gotten on my shoe that will cause me to stick, and I can abandon the shot right there if I need to, rather than stick at the line and die. This has helped me a ton and I rarely stick anymore.

That being said, if you are absolutely convinced it's the shoe and not you, probably best just to try to return those if they'll let you and get a different pair.

Current Average: 219
High Series:765
High Game: 290

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.