BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198874 - 01/21/18 01:48 PM Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Came across this Brunswick webpage: http://www.brunswickbowling.com/products/lanes/pro-lane-and-anvilane/
I usually find myself bowling on this type of surface and like taking advantage of the markings on the lane. Reading what's offer on this webpage it mentions "hook power" and making use of that number to help the bowler hitting the pocket.
On the right side of the page there is a selection tool for three lane views and #3 describes two examples of using hooking power.
It says in example 2 that the bowler moves their feet to board 16 (where they began with is not stated) and targets board 13.
I've read that many bowlers may have an offset of 7 to 8 boards from the inside edge of their slide foot to where their ball lays down on the lane. As for me I tend to have an offset of 11 boards from what I can tell. I must have the ball out too far from my slide foot, but I'm able to get enough revs on the ball nonetheless.
If I slide on board 16 like it says in the example, I'll likely be laying the ball down on board 5. If I targeted board 13, my ball will be travelling from right to left 8 boards by the time it gets to the arrows. It'll be at least 16 boards at half way down the lane (i.e., board 21) and likely much farther left as it passes the range finders 3/4 the way down the lane at board 29.
I must be missing the essence of what's presented on their website.
How can this hook power definition be used effectively to keep ones ball hitting the pocket? Any ideas?
Thanks...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198877 - 01/22/18 12:17 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: djp1080]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
So, if I stand at 27 and target over 15, and roll out to the 8 board, then 27 - 8 = 19. And, with a hook back to the pocket of 9, that makes my hook potential = 28?

Is this right?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198878 - 01/22/18 01:35 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
So, if I stand at 27 and target over 15, and roll out to the 8 board, then 27 - 8 = 19. And, with a hook back to the pocket of 9, that makes my hook potential = 28?

Is this right?

In example #1 on the Brunswick site for hook power it says that the bowler releases the ball over board 10 and targets the 2nd arrow which is also board 10.
If you stand on board 27 (inside edge of your left foot), your ball will likely be somewhere around 17, 18 or 19 or in my case board 16. Let's say that you lay the ball down at board 19 and target 15. The difference is 4 boards. Likely at the 30 foot point your ball would be at 11 and perhaps at 45 feet the ball would be at board 7 or 8. From there it would then move another 9 boards or so to the pocket. I'd say that your hook power would be 12.
Lately with the Hy-Road Nano I've been standing on board 26 and targeting board 10 at the arrows. My next move is to board 29 and targeting board 12.
How's that?

#198880 - 01/22/18 05:31 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: djp1080]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
for me, if I stand on 16 (inside edge of my left foot - right handed)and target 13, that amounts to a 4 or 5 board pull, or up the boards shot. There would need to be a ton of oil for that to work for me. I have a 7 board offset and drift 2, so to play 10 I need to stand on 19, shoulders parallel to the foul line. If I wanted to play 10 and skid it out to 6 at the break it goes 10 + 7 + 2 + 2 = 21.
The ball moves 2 boards right to get to the arrows, 2 more to 30', and 2 more to get to 6 @ 45'.

YMMV - mine certainly seems to.
Brunswick DangerZone -1.5k dull but with road shine
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

#198881 - 01/22/18 07:24 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: 6_ball_man]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I've been reading this thread and wondering how such a simple game has become so complicated, considering 6 shots will pick up all spares and one of those hits the pocket.

The simplest solution is to work backwards from the intended target, not forward from some arbitrary point on the approach.

Here's my example. Where I shoot, the oil is 40 feet long. The rule of 31 says my ball has to be on the 9 board coming off the oil at 40 feet.

Where do I need to stand to hit the 9 board at 40 feet? Keep in mind that from the center of a person's body to their shoulder is 'about' 10 boards.

Think of your target-line as a teeter-totter laying on its side. It might be straight or it might be bowed, but the concept is the same. If you put the far end on your target, the near end will show you where to stand.

Work backwards.

#198882 - 01/22/18 07:47 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: djp1080]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

The portion of the info on the Brunswick site I was referring to was specifically the topic of hook power. They're claiming by using this the bowler can use this to keep their ball heading toward the pocket.
Where I usually play is a 40 foot THS. By watching others getting their ball to board 8 or 9 at the end of the range finders at 43 feet is about perfect for getting to the pocket and I've found that that works pretty well for me as well.
Using a line that crosses somewhere around 9, 10 or 11 at the arrows and getting out to 6 in the mids gets the job done on a fresh condition.
I just don't get their example 2, at least with a 10 or 11 board offset from the body's center line to where the ball lays down on the lane.

Edited by djp1080 (01/22/18 07:48 PM)

#198909 - 01/26/18 03:33 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: 82Boat69]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: 82Boat69

The simplest solution is to work backwards from the intended target, not forward from some arbitrary point on the approach.

Actually, that is exactly the way I do it out on the lanes. Decide on the break point and work backwards. Where I look during my approach depends on the amount of oil out there. Heavier oil I look shorter, less oil I look longer.

I stated it clumsily...I HAVE been accused of overthinking stuff, occasionally. Also, I try to shoot as straight as possible for spares that do not include double wood, with only one exception, and that one helps me diagnose the oil for subsequent strike attempts.

again - YMMV - mine certainly seems to.
Brunswick DangerZone -1.5k dull but with road shine
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

#198910 - 01/26/18 05:59 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: 6_ball_man]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

The other nice point, if a person watches where their ball goes off the back of the pin-deck, they simply need to move their feet in the opposite direction to bring the ball back to where it should be. Ball deflects? Move feet right. Ball goes high, move feet left. It's not necessary to move feet and line unless the ball is rolling out.

#198911 - 01/26/18 06:53 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

I've found that making 3:2 (or perhaps 2:1) moves work well during transition and keeping an eye on what the ball is doing like you say. Seldom will I not move my target along with my feet.
Lately in our senior league though I've found after a few tosses during our warm up that I need to start the morning standing on board 31 rather than my typical board 23 or 23. They've not been conditioning the lanes from the night before.
What's interesting here is that no one so far has indicated that there is anything wrong with Brunswick's "Hook Power" examples. I'd really like to understand if there is some value in what they have posted. My guess is that there is little value, if any...
Like you've said, Boat, watch where the ball exits the pin deck and make adjustments as necessary.
The other morning I went down and in starting with targeting the 1st arrow, then moved to the 2nd and 3rd arrow. The results were 7 pin, 7 pin and 4 pin. Next tested the 2nd arrow out to board 5 and then 3rd arrow out to board 10 at the breakpoint. The last one was where I started. Had to move left from there... smile Dry lanes I guess...

#198912 - 01/26/18 06:57 PM Re: Brunswick Anvilane - Hook power [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

I know our mechanic and talk with him a lot. Even when I know the condition hasn't been change, just the temperature and humidity can cause a little difference in reaction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Informal poll
by champ - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Time to throw the ball
by soulman327 - Yesterday at 05:53 PM
Hype Versus Reality
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 01:50 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.