BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198859 - 01/17/18 08:18 PM Where is every one?
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This site got very quiet. NYE Hangover?? Ate too much over Holidays?

Hope all of you come back.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198861 - 01/18/18 12:52 AM Re: Where is every one? [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
I was wondering the same, Dennis.
I was out bowling tonight and got 567. Not bad for this old guy.
Made three ball changes and I think I did it at the right time finally. Started with one of my most aggressive solid balls, changed in mid-second game to last aggressive solid ball. Switched to my IQ Tour 30 pearl ball mid-third game. Got a five bagger with it. Perhaps I should have switched earlier to the pearl ball. Quite happy with the result.
Your comment about competing against higher rev players was excellent IMHO.
Keep up the good work. Good night...

#198862 - 01/18/18 01:00 AM Re: Where is every one? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dylan585 Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 20/m/ny
I'm just sitting here... Quitely... Reading... Judging... But in all seriousness I have noticed the same thing

High game: 288 (2 times now!)
High series: 710
Average: 197

Bag: Motiv Tank Rampage, Genesis the judge, motiv paranoia, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198863 - 01/18/18 09:06 AM Re: Where is every one? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
I've also noticed the lack of activity. I remember how busy it was when I first joined and also remember a lot of names I don't really see anymore here.

Mark

#198866 - 01/18/18 11:16 AM Re: Where is every one? [Re: Mkirchie]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
Here's a subject that might save some people some money. After purchasing a large number of balls over the last 5 years, I'm of the opinion that minor variations between RG's and Diff's are imperceptible in a drilled ball by all but the top tier bowlers. Same with surfaces. A ball ranked 205-215 on the Perfect Scale won't be different enough from a ball ranked 225-235 for all but the best bowlers to notice.

Like golf swing videos and training aids, nothing a person buys in a new bowling ball will raise their average. The painful truth, if a person doesn't learn to crank up a ball when they're young and get their back-swing above their head, the limitations of their delivery and release will limit their average regardless of lane conditions or ball specifications.

Speed and RPM's coming off the oil is all a player need to optimize. I think too many bowlers drool over the latest releases, but I'd love to see some actual statistics that show anything new performing better than anything from last year.

Bowling has become a sport where those who can carry a slightly higher percentage of strikes will percolate up in the standings of tournaments and leagues. Those increases come from technique, not bowling balls.

I use to do a little sailing in my youth. Sailboat classes are like USBC bowling ball regulations. The main idea is that the person sailing the boat is the difference, not one sailboat or bowling ball from another.

The rapidity of the price drops in bowling balls are a clear indicator that today's $229.95 wunderkind is tomorrow's $99.95 clearance sale :-)

#198867 - 01/18/18 12:15 PM Re: Where is every one? [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

I've noticed pretty much the same; however, the RG certainly makes a bit of difference to the length of where the ball begins it's move and the drilling angle selection aids the ball's move, too. The differential in the mid to high range don't seem matter much.
The coverstock makes the most difference in the type of cover and the friction created by the grit finish.
I've also noted that the two-piece ball is likely the best type of ball as they tend to handle oil without much degradation over time. This may save people money as well. I think that the Storm Hy-Road series will be around for a long, long time even if they stop production.
Still confused though regarding some balls seem to soak up oil pretty fast and degrade much quicker than others using the same finish and coverstock. My investment in a food dehydrator converted into a ball oven has paid dividends to keeping some balls working just fine.
Hope this helps...

#198868 - 01/18/18 03:46 PM Re: Where is every one? [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I've noticed a direct correlation between the grit the ball is sanded at coming out of the box and how fast it soaks up oil. A ball sanded to 1500 will soak up oil faster than a ball sanded to 3000. Must have something to do with opening up the surface.

I have a friend who just bought a Jackal Rising and that ball would soak up a shot worth of oil before he used it again. It would come back with flare lines and they would be gone before his next shot. That's in a trios league. Yikes. He spent the entire day wiping his new ball.

A few year ago I began to use polish on new balls to plug up the surface and reduce the sponge effect. It works well unless I resurface or sand a ball, then I need to reapply.

As for RG values, Low RG is 2.460 - 2.570. I have never seen a bowling ball with an RG over 2.57, so I've never seen a high RG ball.

#198869 - 01/18/18 04:41 PM Re: Where is every one? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
1. Where is my food dehydrator? Gotta find it, thx.
2. I can feel the difference in my hand of a symmetrical and asymmetrical ball. The weight distribution over the big knuckle of mey first finger tells me what it is.
3. I have 2 balls in my bag that are 2.58 RG. and both with .032 Diff. The difference is the cover of each. Those are my purchase parameters, 2.58 and .032. try to buy close to those numbers always.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198871 - 01/18/18 05:21 PM Re: Where is every one? [Re: 82Boat69]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

My gear is primarily Storm / Roto Grip, The Hy-Road Nano and Torrent are both 2000 grit sanded. I take a shammy to them between shots and I'll not polish them. At least yet. The Hy-Road is a two-piece ball and the Torrent has some filler.
The rest of the balls I have are polished and I keep Reacta Shine handy for them as needed. All my gear squeak if you rub your fingers on them.
Regarding RG the highest I have is 2.57, some around 2.54 and several around 2.49 to 2.52.
Bought the 16 lb. Hy-Road Nano because it has a lower RG and higher differential than the 15 lb. version. Of course, I can't tell the difference between a 15 lb. or 16 lb. Hy-Road original version in their reaction. smile They both do well...

#198872 - 01/18/18 06:09 PM Re: Where is every one? [Re: djp1080]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
My Vintage DZ has an RG of 2.501 and the Super Natural is 2.55. I have no idea of the RG of the Critical Mass and the Turbo, although I am curious. A while back, you (djp1080 to avoid confusion) gave me Track's customer service e-mail when I was curious about the surface of the Critical Mass and they responded back quickly. I'm thinking of asking about the RG and I'm also contemplating contacting Ebonite for the RG of the Turbo. I think that might be more of a longshot than the surface.

The Critical Mass hardly soaks any oil, I've tried to get oil out of it and nothing happens. It is mostly all there after waiting to bowl in a 5 person league. The Vintage DZ has been a bit of a sponge, the oil is totally gone when I get up for my next shot.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Hype Versus Reality
by mmalsed - 25 minutes 50 seconds ago
Time to throw the ball
by mmalsed - 31 minutes 13 seconds ago
Informal poll
by champ - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.