BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198800 - 12/30/17 08:57 AM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: goobee]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
I have no issues on this site using W10, Firefox, ABS, Norton Security.
I went with the free upgrade a while back when it was offered to W7 users. Glad I did . Upgraded 3 PCs for free. But wait there is a loophole according to this article you have 1 day left.

Here's how to get Windows 10 for free -- until Dec. 31
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198803 - 12/30/17 09:49 AM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: BOSStull]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BOSStull
I went with the free upgrade a while back when it was offered to W7 users.

I was tempted to update my desktop and laptop when Microsoft first offered the update, however both computer(s) were almost 4 years old when the offer came out. Neither manufacturer recommended updating them, I would likely need to go on a driver hunt, and I saw enough problems online from people who tried to update the computer(s) I use. I didn't feel like dealing with any of that.

I was also greatly put off by how pushy Microsoft was when they offered it.

Mark

Edited by Mkirchie (12/30/17 09:54 AM)
Edit Reason: Forum removing pluralization for the sake of clickable links.

#198805 - 12/30/17 01:34 PM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: goobee]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Thanks for the help and comments regarding Windows 7 and IE and all. The support for Win 7 is dwindling I suppose. I'm still using Windows Live Mail, too. smile
It's not supposed to support IMAP I think they said, but I've got mine working just fine with two different mail servers. I suppose the solution would be to use MS Outlook or perhaps Thunderbird. I've tended to continue to use what works regarding this topic.
I've stuck with Win 7 for one simple feature that does not and will likely never be available in Win 10, Windows Media Center. I use that feature every day of the week to record TV shows that run at off hours while I'm typically asleep.
My son presented me with an HD Homerun Prime TV tuner for a Christmas gift which I can get running with a cable card for Comcast and I'll be in business with that as my new way to switch to Win 10 while I'm at it.
BTW I've never clicked on any ads on this website and typically avoid doing so everywhere! Using AdBlocker Plus helps quite a bit. When the annoyance happens is when I click on a given topic like this or another thread of messages. It never occurs on the main home page. Again, clearing the cache of IE after closing the thing using Task Manager takes care of the issue most times. Don't recall when the annoyances began, but it's been a while now and it's not consistent. So I can't do certain things and know it's going to come back up. Can't duplicate it.
Hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating the entry of the New Year how ever you do it. Just do it and have fun and safe. Happy New Year to all!

#198807 - 12/30/17 02:01 PM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: djp1080]
82Boat69 Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 70/M/California
I still run all of 'Windows Essentials' with Windows 10. Live Mail is much better than any web-based applications offered by my ISP or Win 10.

It's clear that Microsoft would like everyone's home PC to simply become a device for accessing the internet and Microsoft would then have the only version of Windows. The rest of us would simply access the 'big windows in the cloud' :-)

#198808 - 12/30/17 05:17 PM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
I access this site a lot from my android phone which doesn't have much protection against pop up ads. Does the owner of this site care what kind of "advertising" goes on here?

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198811 - 12/31/17 01:52 PM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: goobee]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: goobee
Does the owner of this site care what kind of "advertising" goes on here?

Unfortunately, it is hard to point fingers at anyone in this sort of situation except for the jerks who created the infected ad (and they are very difficult to track). This link has some really good information on the problem.

https://www.cisecurity.org/malvertising/

Mark

#198813 - 01/01/18 02:26 AM Re: Sick Unethetical Advertising [Re: goobee]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Thanks Mark, that's scary information.

The pop up I got was able to tell I was on a phone rather than a PC.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 06:52 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.