BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198696 - 12/19/17 09:15 AM Re: Bowler brings her iPod/iPhone on the approach [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sorry, let me clarify. There is NO USBC rule. This is what we taught the kids. Hopefully, it will carry over to their future bowling.

No, once the USBC let that issue die at their meeting, no further discussion has taken place.

And, in saying that, I have been guilty of using devices while bowling as well. As a Doubles tournament bowler, my partner or I would take a video of the other while bowling to show a flaw in delivery or other problem. Easier to see the problem and correct it.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198697 - 12/19/17 09:42 AM Re: Bowler brings her iPod/iPhone on the approach [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
IronMike Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 28/M/North Carolina
Is this even a sanctioned league? It does not sound like the league officials/bowling center are capable of adhering to USBC guidelines to keep it sanctioned. And it would definitely drive me nuts if someone was doing this that I was bowling 'competitively' against.

That being said, is this simply a low average drinking league, where folks bowl to pass the time while they're pounding brews? If that's the case (not trying to be critical of you) you can't really complain when people don't take it seriously. You need to join a serious league, not try to change the drinking league.

I used to bowl in a Friday night 'league' that was mostly young professionals messing around. Lots of drinking, minimal bowling, people would take turns for each other and sometimes just bowed out of games with 5 frames left. I bowled as seriously as I could muster, but no way could I complain about how the rest of the league acted. That's what I got myself into.

Edited by IronMike (12/19/17 09:45 AM)

Current Average: 219
High Series:765
High Game: 290

#198701 - 12/19/17 01:21 PM Re: Bowler brings her iPod/iPhone on the approach [Re: IronMike]
Gutterballqueen313 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 52/f/NY
I don't know if it's just a drinking league or not. I believe it is serious in its competition, but lax with the rules. It is USBC sanctioned, adult handicap mixed. We have bowlers with averages ranging from the 70s to over 220. Bear in mind, I am not trying to change the rules, I'm simply asking that the existing rules be enforced. The League Secretary said there IS a rule that you can't bring devices on the approach. But the other bowlers shouldn't be telling H (the girl) it's ok to do it when the Secretary says it is not.

Dennis, I have no problem with someone taking videos of their performance, etc. As long as it doesn't effect gameplay I have no problem with it. I just find it unacceptable to bring a device with you on the approach (or play with it) when it's your turn. It's disrespectful and distracting. I guess I was the only one in that league that it bothered, perhaps because I don't drink. I made sure to find out first if there was a rule before reporting her.

I'm not a great bowler (my average is only 104), so I'm not sure if I would be welcomed in a serious league. I am still learning and I know some bowlers can't stand "beginners" like me.

Edited by Gutterballqueen313 (12/19/17 01:29 PM)

#198710 - 12/19/17 04:33 PM Re: Bowler brings her iPod/iPhone on the approach [Re: Gutterballqueen313]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
You SHOULD be welcomed . . . you would be at ours.

I also do NOT think you're being unreasonable at all. Sorry you've had this experience, but hopefully it will benefit you.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198734 - 12/21/17 10:18 AM Re: Bowler brings her iPod/iPhone on the approach [Re: mmalsed]
Gutterballqueen313 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 52/f/NY
Yes, this is definitely a learning experience. I will miss some of the bowlers, because they helped me with my stance, throw, etc.

I'm glad to be moving to another house too. That place had old pinsetters (AMF 8230). All that noise made it difficult to focus. Unfortunately, in the Albany, NY we've lost a lot of houses...in the past 5 years, 4 have closed, one burned down, and now this one will close to make way for (another) apartment complex. The only houses left that I know of are in Troy, Delmar, Cohoes, East Greenbush, Latham, and Schenectady.

Edited by Gutterballqueen313 (12/21/17 10:19 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.