BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198513 - 11/15/17 03:38 PM Entry Angle
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
So, in the past 2 league nights on thursday, I have used my most aggressive ball due to the fresh, heavier oil. But, the stripped back end, allows my ball to make a radical turn to the pocket. I am leaving more back row pins as a result, on balls that I thought were real good. And, mostly 9's and 10's. And, my spare ball is failing me by hooking in the back right corner.

But, when I had back to back pocket 7-10's, one on each lane, it isn't the lane. It's me and the ball. In fact, 3 pocket 7-10's in the same game. The next game was clean to the 8th, when I left a hard hit 7-9, to be followed by another pocket 7-10 in the 10th.

The next week, I had another pocket 7-10 in the first game and one in the second game.

My teammate tells me to get rid of the ball. The entry angle is too steep, like 8-9 degrees.

Mo Pinel professes the steeper angle for his DV8 balls and for Radical too. So, What The Heck??

I do change balls and don't see another one.

I'm crashing the pocket with poor results. What are your thoughts?

BTW, I only roll symmetrical balls, but really aggressive ones. Revs over 250.

Edited by Dennis Michael (11/15/17 03:42 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198514 - 11/15/17 07:45 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dylan585 Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 20/m/ny
Are the covers shiny or dull?

High game: 257
High series: 710
Average: 191

Bag: storm supernatural, Genesis the judge, motiv paranoia, motiv Forza gt, motiv Arctic sniper

#198516 - 11/16/17 12:43 AM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
Virtual League Champion

hmm, the ball in question is my Terminator. Just a reactive resin ball. Not a pearl and not a solid, and no polish.

It just has a forward roll, big turn. No side rotation at all.

#198517 - 11/16/17 10:17 AM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
IronMike Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 28/M/North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
hmm, the ball in question is my Terminator. Just a reactive resin ball. Not a pearl and not a solid, and no polish.

It just has a forward roll, big turn. No side rotation at all.

Hmm I was imagining a skid/flip but the way you're describing it doesn't sound like it. Forward roll and big turn I assume you're starting pretty far right and playing up the 5-7 board or so? If that's the case, generally I'd recommend to go for a small change (I hate making a ball change when I'm in the pocket). To lessen the angle I would probably move my starting spot forward a small step (2 inches?) and couple that with a tiny move right, like 1/2 to 1 board. Change target like half of what your move right is.

If you're ball -is- skid/flipping, I'd likely go for a big change if you can make the shot. Like, 10 boards left on your start and almost as much on your target. Force the ball to stay in the oil, it'll skid longer (reserve energy) and turn over late, with the hook coming around the 13-15ish board instead of the 5. It should have more energy left to drive through the pins rather than deflect.

The second change is a tough shot, though. Not nearly as friendly when you can't rely on the dry to guide your ball back to the pocket. Susceptible to lots of wash outs.

Disclaimer - I am not a coach; this could be terrible strategy. It's just what I would do.

Edited by IronMike (11/16/17 10:20 AM)

Current Average: 219
High Series:765
High Game: 290

#198519 - 11/16/17 11:15 AM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Dennis, I know you understand bowling pretty darn well and you know your brand of equipment, too.
I recently picked up a Storm Marvel Pearl and I'm in the pocket most of the time, but my strike percentage isn't as high as I'd hoped for. Yesterday I left a couple pocket 7-10's as you did. Couldn't believe it, but not complaining.
What I would do is move my index finger in closer to my middle finger so that the angle the ball breaks is less and I'd consider making a 3-2 move from where you normally start.
Just like Iron Mike, I'm not a coach. smile
Best of luck and I hope this helps...

Edited by djp1080 (11/16/17 11:15 AM)

#198521 - 11/16/17 12:56 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: djp1080]
IronMike Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 28/M/North Carolina
That's another potential fix, sparked by DJP's index finger move comment.

You could try curling your pinky in rather than having it lie flat on the ball. That tends to dampen the back end and might give you more room to work a better angle.

Current Average: 219
High Series:765
High Game: 290

#198523 - 11/16/17 03:43 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
Virtual League Champion

My normal line is: Stand at 32, roll out to the 8 board at the breakpoint, and back.

Can't tell you what arrow board, as I never watch it. Probably 12 or 13.

Djp, moving the index finger is something I never think of. I'll do it tonight. Thx.
I will move the fingers and see what happens.

#198524 - 11/16/17 04:40 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I'm with your team mate Dennis; replace the ball.

When you're leaving 7-9s and 7-10s on the same night, either the rack was bad, or the ball just isn't matching up with you. Both hard and light hits are giving you the ultimate penalty.

Sure there are tricks and manipulations you can do to help your carry, but really, you don't want to have to throw it perfect to carry. And some balls, with the way they match up to you and your condition, require you to throw it perfect to carry.

That's how my IQ was. Loved the way it rolled, and I wanted to love the ball, but I knew taking it out of the bag I wasn't going to break 210.

#198525 - 11/16/17 05:55 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
Virtual League Champion

hahaha, the ball may have been on the strong side. I did practice with a lower ball today. We'll see.

I have been starting with that ball because of the fresh, heavy oil. Maybe I don't need it.

#198536 - 11/18/17 03:19 PM Re: Entry Angle [Re: Dennis Michael]
Virtual League Champion

Used a ball, 1 step down. And, changed my finger positions. Mixed results.
No pocket 7-10's. However, had 4, 3-9-10's and a couple 3-7's. So the ball definitely turned earlier, hitting the head to hard. Even switched to a pearl in game 3. But did leave a 7-9 with it.

So, not sure what I proved.

I did talk with the lane man and, I guess you could call it, complained.

As fortunes have it, he bowled on the opposing team, and left his share of splits as well. But, he blamed himself. He watched me intently and I did see him shake his head often after a few of my split. Until, the 7-9, to which he threw up a flier he was reading. Said, he never sees a 7-9, but he believes me now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 06:05 AM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by Dennis Michael - Today at 05:50 AM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by Dylan585 - 12/11/17 01:10 PM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 12/09/17 10:04 AM
Mental help suggestions
by mmalsed - 12/08/17 12:37 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 12/06/17 06:32 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 12/05/17 04:07 PM
Twister Pins
by Mkirchie - 12/02/17 07:11 AM
Losing our pro-shop guy
by Dennis Michael - 12/01/17 07:16 PM
Storm Match Up Hybrid Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 12/01/17 12:54 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by 6_ball_man - 12/01/17 08:02 AM
by Richie V. - 11/27/17 11:39 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.