BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198152 - 09/14/17 12:55 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Dennis, it's wronghander who's bowling @ the Brunswick house here (in Lowell, MA). I'm still at a private house, which just changed ownership, but the upside is that they're going to sink a lot into renovations. I'm told we're even getting a Flex machine. smile
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 179 HS: 646 HG: 269
Sunday Niters - Avg: 175 HS: 610 HG: 257
Composite Avg: 177

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198154 - 09/15/17 06:48 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Odd night. Rolled ev other ball well. Even had a 4 bagger with a brooklyn in the middle. One ball would be strong and the next slid. And, had 2 opens in each game. Two 10's to the left, chopped a 6 off a 10 2X's. And, with my spare ball. Gotta fix my spare shooting. It really sucks.

Rolled 209-190-209. Right about my average so far.

Used my Hybrid ball all night. There was no carrydown, but the backends were pretty dry, stripped. I needed the longer slide to get farther downlane.

Good thing, we won all 3 for the 3rd consecutive nite.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198156 - 09/16/17 12:07 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/Mass
299+213+214=726 tonight. Started out very promising and was locked in from the start. However started getting some anxiety in the 10th frame and even though I've been in this spot before and have 4 300s I couldn't help it. Threw a good enough shot in the 10th and tripped a 6 pin in the 11th to stay alive, but my knees really started to shake by the last ball and it caused me to roll it too slowly and it broke right through the headpin, somehow only leaving the 7 pin.

Second game actually started with a double but then something changed and I started leaving right side spares (either 6-10 or 10 pin). My teammate said I was throwing it too slowly (usually I have the opposite problem) but my speed changes didn't work, nor did moving in and going into the 10th frame I was clean but still only had the 2 strikes. Went out to my car and got my Brute Strength and managed to strike out with it, needing strikes in the 10th & 11th to win the head-to-head point.

3rd game got off to a slow start but stayed clean and then started to string them toward the end of the game, had a chance to strike out to get into the 240s but didn't get it off my hand right and ended up leaving a 4,7,10 split and ending the night with an open and another game in the two-teens.

Still managed to keep my average at 240 which means next week I'll be bowling scratch with this being the last week that the book averages were used. Managed to win all 4 of my individual points going up against an absent bowler.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
IDK who comes up with this oil pattern for Brunswick, but it caters to those with too much speed and no hand. If you are slower and have ball rotation, it hurts you.

Haven't really experienced this at my local Brunswick Zone, but also haven't seen any bowlers there that are that speed dominant with no hand. I am slightly speed dominant but I have to play around 10 and make sure I turn it a bit to carry the 7 pin. If I try to play straight up the outside the ball wants to hook at my feet and I can't control it. But as long as I get the right rotation on it, the pattern is very forgiving.

Current Arsenal: DV8 Grudge, Pyramid Antidote, Radical Ridiculous Asym, Hammer Arson High Flare Solid, Brunswick Brute Strength

#198157 - 09/16/17 04:34 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Wronghander, nice shooting.

Let me put it this way. I have 30 years on you and go back to the days of wood lanes and shellac for 60 feet. Back then, speed was a killer. Your ball would just slide all the way. It was paramount to get your ball to roll right off your hand. So, developing a strong hand and release was the key. There were no oil patterns, as they would dry mop the lanes before use to remove any dust.

Now, I didn't bowl for 26 years, raising kids and had competition from soccer and baseball, scouts and whatever. So, what happened in those years, I had to read about. And, I was absolutely amazed at the changes in this game, to both lanes, surfaces and equipment.

At that time, I was an ABC member and bowled regionally. Sponsored by the House I bowled in. Chicago, where I lived, had a pretty strong Traveling, Classic League, which I bowled in. We bowled for the House against other House teams. Some fairly strong bowlers came out of that league. One, I still occasionally see, Carmen Salvino, you may remember.

But, in reading about this game development, even you can see how the lane makers and the ball manufacturers competed to produce higher scores. Long oil killed and shorter patterns produced higher results. Stripped back ends gave you a hook, regardless of the ball. Bowlers now bank off the dry and don't roll the ball. Internal weights give you a hook and ball drilling to produce that hook became an art, taking advantage of the offset weight inside. Ball covers produce more friction as an additional assist.

Don't get me wrong, anyone rolling 12 consecutive strikes is doing just what the game objective is and that's consistency and accuracy. And, I applaud them.

I bowled with a noted Gold level Coach, now in his 80's. And, he will talk your ear off about the old days. He also accepts any challenger to bowl with one condition. The lanes are to be oiled for the entire 60 feet. No one accepts that condition. Why, because the slide phase of the ball path has become the most important facet of the game. Just listen to tutorials by Mo Pinel and you will hear this loud and clear. And, this is something that people with speed and no hand have success with. Their scores have come up, and that should be satisfying to bowlers.

But, then again, I look at things like the number of bowlers today compared to the number 30 years ago. And the USBC membership has dropped by more then half.
I look at the number of Bowling Lanes and that had been reduced by as many as 90% in some areas. Chicago had 265 bowling alleys in the phone book in 1965 and today, there are 15.

All of those changes that were designed to increase bowler's satisfaction have come at the same time that the actual bowler numbers have dropped radically.

But still, you bowl on what the lanes give you. And, if that's a bank, a produced hook, and you can match your equipment to that condition, more power to you.

In the 1960's, the lane conditions of regular bowling were very consistent, and all bowlers bowled on the same conditions as the Pros. Today, Sport patterns are designed to give the bowler a better challenge, and only a handful of actual bowlers accept that challenge. So, there has become a distinct difference between the average bowler and the pro.

Those who have mastered the consistency and accuracy will succeed. While others, hopefully, enjoy the night out. And, if the lanes and/or the equipment produce scores, they are happy.

#198158 - 09/16/17 07:17 AM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I bowled with a noted Gold level Coach, now in his 80's. And, he will talk your ear off about the old days. He also accepts any challenger to bowl with one condition. The lanes are to be oiled for the entire 60 feet. No one accepts that condition. Why, because the slide phase of the ball path has become the most important facet of the game. Just listen to tutorials by Mo Pinel and you will hear this loud and clear. And, this is something that people with speed and no hand have success with. Their scores have come up, and that should be satisfying to bowlers.

Let me clarify this. The slide phase is important to manage where your ball meets friction on the lane. Whether you roll straight up 10 or over 4th arrow is a matter of style and revs. But, your ball will hook as it hits friction. On a totally oiled lane, 60', you get no friction. Thus, the bowler has to know how to roll the ball. Long oil Sport patterns have always been the hardest. Yet, that was what the old days were. Slick all the way down.

#198159 - 09/16/17 06:37 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Second week of league in the new house, these guys can't lay down a consistent pattern it seems. I struggled all morning and wound up with 186, 186, 218.

I understand they have a new machine on order, a Kegel Walker, not sure of the model.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198161 - 09/17/17 09:11 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

My Week 2 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

I probably should have scored better, as most of my missed spares were chops of multi-pin makeables. I still had my 600 alive in the last frame, by missed a 10 pin, the first for me this season. Bright spot: I had at least a turkey in every game, with a four-bagger in each of the last two games.

Result: 172-206-214=592
Average (6 games): 181
Next week's AVG+1 score: 548

Composite average (9 games): 171

Team won all eight by forfeit, with my 214 picking up Peter in the third game.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#198171 - 09/18/17 09:15 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Dennis Michael]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/Mass
Wronghander, nice shooting.

Don't get me wrong, anyone rolling 12 consecutive strikes is doing just what the game objective is and that's consistency and accuracy. And, I applaud them.

But still, you bowl on what the lanes give you. And, if that's a bank, a produced hook, and you can match your equipment to that condition, more power to you.

Thanks Dennis and good insight as well. I agree that the lane conditions are easy and as someone who has bowled on sport patterns I can definitely appreciate the difference. But the way I'm approaching it this season is that I better take full advantage of the easy lane conditions the center is giving me.

Last Sunday night I was disappointed with 659, but came back strong last night with a 223, 224, and 268 for 715. First game started with the front 5 and then left a pocket 7,9 (ugh). I was fully prepared this time though as I received in the mail on Saturday my Creating the Difference "performance kit". I put the hook more stuff on the ball and threw a double, but whiffed a 7 pin for my only other open on the night in the 9th and had to settle for 223. Second game ran into some carry issues but shot a clean 224, and then went nuts in the 3rd game with 7 in a row after leaving a 10 pin on the first ball. Went high for a 4,7 in the 9th but struck out in the 10th.

Current Arsenal: DV8 Grudge, Pyramid Antidote, Radical Ridiculous Asym, Hammer Arson High Flare Solid, Brunswick Brute Strength

#198174 - 09/19/17 12:29 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
second night on new league, shot was way drier (which I guess I should expect given the weather) so when I started as I did last week, with my strong ball, it went well during practice, but I had to be SOOOO right on that it was touch and go first game. 182. Bah.

But switched to my IQTP at the 9th frame and punched out in the 10th so we could win by 7.

Second game, started with the front four, picked up the 3-6-10, strike, missed a 10, picked up a 10, strike, and then hit a 4-6-7 split. frown 203 is okay, but it coulda been. . . bah.

Third game, outside was dry and the IQ was bouncing too much off it. Direct more in center worked MUCH better so that's what I did. Down 15 with a little swing. 3, then chopped the 3-6-10 (left the 3, bah) then would have gone sheet except for a stone 9 in the 6th. QUITE happy with that result - 245.

630 series, combined with last week's 672 . . . so much for any handicap! LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198191 - 09/20/17 09:35 PM Re: Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

My Week 3 bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

After being absent last week, I was mostly able to build on what I found Sunday night, but missing 10 pins bit me in the third game, so tonight could have been better, as well.

Result: 191-174-191=556
Average (6 games): 168
Next week's AVG+1 score: 509

Composite average (12 games): 175

The only one on the pair better than me tonight was Brian, and the team won all four.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.