BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198438 - 11/04/17 07:59 PM How to hold the bowling ball
LindaDelcamp Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 63/Female/Michigan
I'm a 63 year old female bowler who bowls once a week in a league. I have been given some good advice about bowling, especially where to stand. I still am having a problem on where and how exactly do I hold the ball? I recently saw a post that showed for slow speed you hold the ball around the knees, for medium speed you hold the ball around the waist, and for fast speed, around chest high. I have been throwing my ball around 10-12 mph. I'm not sure if it's slow, medium or fast. What is the best possible way for me to hold the ball and where do I hold it.

Edited by LindaDelcamp (11/04/17 08:04 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198439 - 11/04/17 10:41 PM Re: How to hold the bowling ball [Re: LindaDelcamp]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Linda, be comfortable. Don't lean or extend your arms.

Hold the ball in both hands, with your bowling hand in the holes and under the ball, about waist high to start. Move the ball to the ball arm side to push off and clear your body on the side. Move your head over the ball, to look straight at your target. Keep the back of your ball hand straight with your forearm all the way through the swing.

Give the ball a push off, on your first step if 4 or second if 5 steps. Keep your wrist straight, not slackened back, and your arm swing straight as well.

Take normal sized steps at a normal pace. Let the arm swing freely, without any muscle. Your push off will give your swing momentum without using your arm. And, swing the ball from your shoulder.

Changes can be made from that to increase speed by using your legs instead of your arm. Don't force the ball, just relax.

Good luck, and good bowling.

I'm a Senior level Coach, for leg rehab and limbering. My oldest student is 97, and the hardest worker is in a wheelchair. If they can do it, anyone can.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198441 - 11/05/17 04:48 AM Re: How to hold the bowling ball [Re: LindaDelcamp]
82Boat69 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 69/M/California
There are as many ways to hold a bowling ball as there are bowlers. All can be successful as long as your starting position doesn't impede your ability to swing the ball freely. The best position allows you to hold the ball without creating any tension in your hand, wrist, forearm or shoulder. How much your ball weighs and how much you weigh will also determine the best starting position. What you want to accomplish, whether you push-away or unhinge, is your ball to simply swing freely under your shoulder on the way back and swing freely under your shoulder on the way forward. This will require proper body angle and spine tilt, but will give you the best possible and most relaxed swing.

Here's a 'brief' video of Joe Slowinski making it look really easy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6VZXoXMtg

Remember, anything you do that doesn't allow your arm to swing freely is detrimental. This also applies to where you start your ball.
15 lb Columbia Blue Dot: Circa 1978

325 RPM'a @ 16 MPH

#198443 - 11/05/17 04:41 PM Re: How to hold the bowling ball [Re: LindaDelcamp]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Originally Posted By: LindaDelcamp
I'm a 63 year old female bowler who bowls once a week in a league. I have been given some good advice about bowling, especially where to stand. I still am having a problem on where and how exactly do I hold the ball? I recently saw a post that showed for slow speed you hold the ball around the knees, for medium speed you hold the ball around the waist, and for fast speed, around chest high. I have been throwing my ball around 10-12 mph. I'm not sure if it's slow, medium or fast. What is the best possible way for me to hold the ball and where do I hold it.

Here's a link to Ron Clifton's web site where he explains how to hold a bowling ball: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip7.htm

Ron has a basket full of articles explaining plenty of topics regarding bowling which you may find interesting.
As BOAT has pointed out already, Joe Slowinski has an excellent web site full of topics for you, too. Here's the link to it: http://bowlingknowledge.info/

These sites should keep you busy for quite sometime, but one of the best sources for quick help that is custom fitted for you would be to find a well-qualified bowling coach in your area. You could look at the USBC website at http://www.bowl.com and look for coaching help in your area.

Hope this helps...

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.