BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198312 - 10/11/17 10:25 AM Finger Swelling
foxbowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/f/Nebraska
Hi, so I am a high school bowler and this is my first year so I don't have my own ball yet. I use a 10 lb. house ball. My middle finger keeps swelling during matches and practice. I push through the pain because I'm on JV and we only have the minimum players of 4. If I sit out then we lose the points I could have gotten. But my finger starts to swell and hurt and its harder to grip the ball. What should I do until I get my own ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198315 - 10/11/17 11:47 AM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: foxbowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Chances are, your house ball doesn't fit. You didn't say which finger. Could be a different reason for each.

But,
1. A 10 pound ball would probably be too light for you. General rule is 1/10 of your weight when learning.
2. It's a conventional grip as a house ball. Your span between thumb and fingers is prob too short. Causing you to grip the ball and squeeze with your fingers.
3. I'd look in the Pro Shop for a used ball and have it plugged and redrilled to fit your hand. It's the most economic way to go.
4. Our Pro Shop here, offers older balls to the local HS kids that were left behind.
See if yours will help too.
5. Learn the proper release as releasing a ball improperly could cause pain.

Need more info. Which finger, and where on your finger. Any blisters? Open sores when bowling?

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html

Sorry, I see you did mention the middle finger. Your ball is too light and the span is too short, are the probable causes. You squeeze with the middle finger when you roll. Is there a gap between your palm and the ball? Shouldn't be.
Lay your hand over the ball, thumb in the hole. Stretch your hand over the ball. The knuckle should be centered in the finger hole for a better fit.

Edited by Dennis Michael (10/11/17 11:55 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198316 - 10/11/17 01:19 PM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: foxbowler]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Fox, I tend to agree with Dennis.
First, a story. I went to visit my son at college one weekend for one of their schools football games on Dad's weekend. Nice!
We had some extra time so we made it to a hockey game that night and we managed to go over to the union hall for some bowling. I didn't bring my bag, balls and shoes, so I used house equipment instead.
We bowled three games and I did okay. Had fun, but when I got home the next day my fingers hurt for a week. My bowling balls are all drilled fingertip and I seldom squeeze the ball. I try to relax my hand as much as possible. With that darn house ball I had to hold on to it rather than it hold on to me otherwise it would fall off my hand. I paid dearly in pain for several days later.
So I can feel your pain Fox.
There's not much you can do except to learn how to use bowling tape which is sold in the Pro Shop at the lanes. There is white tape and black tape. The Pro Shop guy can show you how to use it if you go that route.
I suggest that you get yourself a ball that fits your hand whether it's a new one or a plugged and redrilled old one. Actually one might find a decent old one at the Goodwill Store if you have one, but you'll still have to pay for plugging and redrill.
Best of luck...

#198318 - 10/11/17 03:53 PM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: djp1080]
foxbowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/f/Nebraska
My school's home alley does not have a Pro Shop I believe. I've never seen one there and it's a pretty small alley

Edited by foxbowler (10/11/17 03:54 PM)

#198321 - 10/11/17 04:11 PM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: foxbowler]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Yep, fit is the primary culprit. Too tight or too loose finger/thumb holes can cause all kinds of problems. Same with span as Dennis pointed out.

You should make it a priority to get your own ball sooner than later. Since there isn't a Pro Shop in the bowling center, you'll need to locate one somewhere else. Talk to your parents, let them know that a beginner's bowling ball can be purchased fairly inexpensive. Also, a properly fitted will reduce the likelihood of injuries and help you learn the game.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198322 - 10/11/17 04:21 PM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: foxbowler]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
That's too bad that there's not a Pro Shop there.
One thing though, bowling should be fun. It's been fun for me since I was a youngster.
Hope you can find another place with a Pro Shop and get an inexpensive plastic ball that fits your hand properly. You'll wonder why you didn't do that in the first place.
Bowling with your own ball can make a difference in the enjoyment of the game and improve your scores pretty quickly.
Good luck Fox!

#198325 - 10/12/17 06:44 AM Re: Finger Swelling [Re: foxbowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It's time to use Google and find the nearest Pro Shop. Won't hurt to go and ask questions. The Pro Shop guy can help with equipment and fit recommendations.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - Today at 11:34 AM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by Dylan585 - 12/11/17 01:10 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 12/10/17 09:29 PM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 12/09/17 10:04 AM
Mental help suggestions
by mmalsed - 12/08/17 12:37 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 12/06/17 06:32 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 12/05/17 04:07 PM
Twister Pins
by Mkirchie - 12/02/17 07:11 AM
Losing our pro-shop guy
by Dennis Michael - 12/01/17 07:16 PM
Storm Match Up Hybrid Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 12/01/17 12:54 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by 6_ball_man - 12/01/17 08:02 AM
by Richie V. - 11/27/17 11:39 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.