BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198299 - 10/09/17 04:11 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Dennis Michael]
Rand Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 65/m/Utah
Is the slide sock different from the slider with the elastic band that goes around the back of the shoe?
My shoes are still in good shape, I bowled for 45 years on wood lanes and any decent shoe would work. A couple games to break them in and you were golden.
Now it seems like a very expensive and complicated road just to be able to do the most basic bowling step.
I guess the only solution is to buy shoes with interchangeable soles, and then buy a bunch of expensive extra soles and try to find a combination that will slide. Is it just me that thinks this sounds ridiculous? I think I may just go back into retirement from bowling. I know I sound down on bowling, but I really do appreciate you guys help and advice.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198303 - 10/10/17 12:45 AM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
Well then, Rand, how about letting all of us know what brand and model of shoe you're using now? How about letting us know how old they are while you're at it?
If you take a look at the shoes that offer interchangeable soles and heels, you typically get a pretty good variety of them in the box with them. Just check out the Dexter website and see for yourself.
I've thought about getting other heels and soles for my Dexter Tank shoes, but don't think I need anything more than what came with them as standard.
Have you discussed the issue you're having at that one establishment with the lane manager there? Perhaps they might offer some help to keep a customer happy. Who knows?

#198306 - 10/10/17 07:39 AM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
In practice (and competition - LoL), I never use other than a number2 on my heel (for braking purposes). The sole is almost always a #6, but if the approaches are a little sticky I will switch to an 8. On very rare instances I have had to go down to a 4 sole, but the ones in my bag look practically new. Same with all the non2 heels. It is just a tool. Use when (if) necessary.

YMMV greatly...mine usually does
Brunswick DangerZone -1.5k dull but with road shine
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

#198309 - 10/10/17 05:09 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: djp1080]
Rand Offline
Bantam

The shoes are just generic Dexters, about 6 years old, but haven't been used for about 4 years. My first thought was it must be the shoes, so I went back to my old wood lanes center and they slid fine. The lanes I bowl on now may be more on the fun side, but they have a guy on his hands and knees cleaning the approaches in front of the foul line every week before league, and the lanes seem to have a shot for everyone, even my down and in.
So are you saying you get more than the default soles with the shoes. I was under the impression that you had to buy any extra soles, and that they were expensive. It probably wouldn't work for me, I'd have to buy the slickest sole possible and hope.

#198310 - 10/10/17 05:56 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Rand, The Dexter generic shoes look like they come with the S8 sole on both feet. That's what I use on my Tank shoes. You should be good to go with that in my opinion.
I tried the S10 sole, but it's too slick for most every place I go and the S6 sole that came with the shoes is to sticky.
Like one of the other guys here, I tried the red leather heel and it gave me too much slide as well. So I went back to the H5 saw tooth heel as the standard.
If you went with SST8 shoes you'll get the following. On the shoe you get an H5 Saw Tooth heel, H2 Ultra Brakz, S8 slide sole and T3 traction (for the right foot). You get the S6 and S10 soles plus H2 (ultra brakz) and H7 heels. You get two shoe protectors and a parts bag.
It doesn't sound like your shoe soles are the problem. Perhaps the Pro Shop operator could suggest something for you by watching you on the lanes during practice or pre league.

#198311 - 10/10/17 09:56 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
When houses converted to synthetic, they change both the lanes and the approaches. Over time, most found that the synthetic approach got sticky with humidity, much more then the old wood.

Newer upgrades have retained the wood approach with synthetic lanes.
That combination seems to be working better.

My old Linds Pro's slide just fine on wood surfaces. Wire brush the sole and alcohol clean the heels. About once a month.

Had a pair of Dexter SST5, fixed sole and heel. The heel wore off from sliding. Replaced them twice. They sit in the trunk of my car.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198314 - 10/11/17 10:49 AM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Dennis Michael]
Rand Offline
Bantam

Hey thanks so much guys for all the help, info, and advice. I'm not giving up. I've ordered the Master teflon pad. If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy new shoes and try the slickest sole combo available.
I can control too slick
Can't bowl if I stick

#198319 - 10/11/17 03:57 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Originally Posted By: Rand
Hey thanks so much guys for all the help, info, and advice. I'm not giving up. I've ordered the Master teflon pad. If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy new shoes and try the slickest sole combo available.
I can control too slick
Can't bowl if I stick

The teflon pad is the cheapest and easiest solution that worked for me. I had to eventually buy new shoes because my old pair was just too worn out. Yours appears to be in good shape and should last you a while.

If you do try new shoes with interchangeable soles/heels, with Dexter, "S12" is the most slide friendly sole. I tried S6 and S8 and they didn't slide at all for me. The felt heel comes with the shoes and that works much better than the rubber one. Good luck.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198328 - 10/13/17 01:27 AM Re: trouble sliding [Re: goobee]
Rand Offline
Bantam

Well, I tried the tru-slide tonight. I was very worried after seeing how small it was, and that it felt like sandpaper, but after a few practice slides, I could tell it was going to work.
After an adjustment game, my spare shooting returned and I bowled a 182 without a strike, and ended the night with a 214. I felt like my old self again. It's not the slide of my dreams, but definitely manageable. I could think about my game instead of thinking about falling down, and the best part is that my knee is not sore. I'm still considering the new shoe option, but this should get me by until I know more about my bowling future.
Thanks,
Rand

#198330 - 10/13/17 12:33 PM Re: trouble sliding [Re: Rand]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Now that's good news! Congrats!
Good bowling, too!
I like your last statement. I'd like to know more about my bowling future, too. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by Dylan585 - Today at 05:44 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by Dylan585 - Yesterday at 01:10 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 12/10/17 09:29 PM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 12/09/17 10:04 AM
Mental help suggestions
by mmalsed - 12/08/17 12:37 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 12/06/17 06:32 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 12/05/17 04:07 PM
Twister Pins
by Mkirchie - 12/02/17 07:11 AM
Losing our pro-shop guy
by Dennis Michael - 12/01/17 07:16 PM
Storm Match Up Hybrid Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 12/01/17 12:54 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by 6_ball_man - 12/01/17 08:02 AM
by Richie V. - 11/27/17 11:39 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.