BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198262 - 10/04/17 03:10 PM High Pressure Scratch league and lane conditions
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Sorry for the very long post

I bowl at Fountain bowl in Fountain Valley, Ca. Iíve been practicing here for years and started bowling leagues here a year ago.

When I practiced here, I really liked how consistent the lane conditions were. I always practiced around noon. They oil 10 to 10 and it appears to be around 38 Ė 40 feet. The backends have always been consistent.

I joined a senior scratch league and had a lot of good weeks including my first 300 game this year.

One problem I have always had is inconsistency. Some weeks I average 230 or more and some weeks 190. Iím currently averaging 220 in the SS league.

In the spring I joined a night league. The conditions were far different than what I saw during the day. It seems the house got a lot of complaints from night bowlers about dry conditions. Their solution was to lay a second layer of oil over what remained from what they put down in the morning.
The results were unpredictable conditions. I had to move 5 boards right to get the ball into the pocket. In addition, oil pushdown created over/under conditions. In the 6 months of the league I never had a good series. I had a good game or two but overall my average came down to 196.

None of my pin up strong balls worked. I finally tried a pin down original Storm Virtual Gravity. This ball flipped very early and seemed to hold a line to the head pin. I never figured the shot out. I suffer slow ball speed (13 Ė 14 mph) and high tilt.

Now, to the scratch league. This house has a 840 scratch league where the competition is very high. I was asked to join a team and am bowling in it for the first time. The level of competition is very high. The pressure to throw strikes right from the start and to continue all night is very strong.

The oil conditions are the same as I experienced in the other night league. Iíve been using the same Storm VG ball. Itís worked so far until last week. Our opponents were young high rev, high speed thumbless. I believe they pushed oil into our break point area. I had the worst case of over under I have ever experienced and ended up with a 138. This did not sit well with me being new to the team and league I recovered slightly in G3 with a 196 but thatís a losing score in this league.

Iím forced to play either the 10 to 8 at the break or between the 15 and 12 to 10 at the break. If the ball gets to the 12 down lane, it slides out. A little slow and it over hooks. A little fast and it slides out.

Iíve read Slowinskiís El Dorado and El Diablo article and his recommendation is to avoid the area that creates the O/U condition. I donít have the hand or revs to move left. Iíve tried it and the ball never recovers. Even my new Storm Code Red, which is a hooking machine doesnít work well on these oil conditions. Does anyone have any suggestions to solving the lane conditions and O/U?

Next problem. As the lanes transition, we have choices to make. Move to a new part of the lane or change balls. Iíve always been a proponent of moving and keeping the same ball. Iíve changed balls in the past but it takes me 2 Ė 3 frames to get the line correct. I canít seem to justify 3 bad frames to find out if a ball change was correct or not. In this league, a single open can put you on the losing end of a match. Does anyone have any advice on the best change I can make and not lose a few frames?

Last problem. I found out last week there are some [censored] in this league. I guess this comes with the level of competition. I won G1 215 to 210 when my opponent opened the 9th. Then, I started G2 with some bad shots where I missed it at the bottom, ended up with 5 pin leaves and missed the spares. I only had 1 spare and 1 strike in the first 7 frames. My opponent had 230 something. I not only lost my match but lost the game for the team too. I was lost for that game, trying several other balls with no success. I was definitely tight at the end and stressed. I started g3 with 2 strikes after settling down but then my opponent who happens to be a very large aggressive Ahole shouts out, ĎHey are you still tight?í as a means of trying to intimidate me. I viewed this as a very classless act. I ended up at 196, which is better but still lost my point. My team also struggled with the O/U and we only ended up with 9 points out of 25. This is the first time I have ever gotten tight and stressed out from bowling bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to avoid this?

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#198264 - 10/04/17 06:01 PM Re: High Pressure Scratch league and lane conditions [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowled in Sr Scratch yesterday as a sub. Some pretty good bowlers there, and all over 60.

198 first game, after getting there late and no warmups. 222 the second game. And, this was after starting open, split. Won them both H2H.

Then, all went bad, cherry, high split, light split, missed 10. Oh brother!!
157, what a bummer.

Team won 2 plus total. I guess I helped. Lost 1 game and total pins to my opponent.

its 27 points on a 4-man team. 3 per game, 2 series. And 1 for each game won and series per man. there are 2 payout schemes. One for team points and a second one for individual points won.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#198267 - 10/05/17 11:26 AM Re: High Pressure Scratch league and lane conditions [Re: BowlerBill]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: BowlerBill
Sorry for the very long post

I bowl at Fountain bowl in Fountain Valley, Ca. Iíve been practicing here for years and started bowling leagues here a year ago.

When I practiced here, I really liked how consistent the lane conditions were. I always practiced around noon. They oil 10 to 10 and it appears to be around 38 Ė 40 feet. The backends have always been consistent.

I joined a senior scratch league and had a lot of good weeks including my first 300 game this year.

One problem I have always had is inconsistency. Some weeks I average 230 or more and some weeks 190. Iím currently averaging 220 in the SS league.

In the spring I joined a night league. The conditions were far different than what I saw during the day. It seems the house got a lot of complaints from night bowlers about dry conditions. Their solution was to lay a second layer of oil over what remained from what they put down in the morning.
The results were unpredictable conditions. I had to move 5 boards right to get the ball into the pocket. In addition, oil pushdown created over/under conditions. In the 6 months of the league I never had a good series. I had a good game or two but overall my average came down to 196.

None of my pin up strong balls worked. I finally tried a pin down original Storm Virtual Gravity. This ball flipped very early and seemed to hold a line to the head pin. I never figured the shot out. I suffer slow ball speed (13 Ė 14 mph) and high tilt.

Now, to the scratch league. This house has a 840 scratch league where the competition is very high. I was asked to join a team and am bowling in it for the first time. The level of competition is very high. The pressure to throw strikes right from the start and to continue all night is very strong.

The oil conditions are the same as I experienced in the other night league. Iíve been using the same Storm VG ball. Itís worked so far until last week. Our opponents were young high rev, high speed thumbless. I believe they pushed oil into our break point area. I had the worst case of over under I have ever experienced and ended up with a 138. This did not sit well with me being new to the team and league I recovered slightly in G3 with a 196 but thatís a losing score in this league.

Iím forced to play either the 10 to 8 at the break or between the 15 and 12 to 10 at the break. If the ball gets to the 12 down lane, it slides out. A little slow and it over hooks. A little fast and it slides out.

Iíve read Slowinskiís El Dorado and El Diablo article and his recommendation is to avoid the area that creates the O/U condition. I donít have the hand or revs to move left. Iíve tried it and the ball never recovers. Even my new Storm Code Red, which is a hooking machine doesnít work well on these oil conditions. Does anyone have any suggestions to solving the lane conditions and O/U?

Next problem. As the lanes transition, we have choices to make. Move to a new part of the lane or change balls. Iíve always been a proponent of moving and keeping the same ball. Iíve changed balls in the past but it takes me 2 Ė 3 frames to get the line correct. I canít seem to justify 3 bad frames to find out if a ball change was correct or not. In this league, a single open can put you on the losing end of a match. Does anyone have any advice on the best change I can make and not lose a few frames?

Last problem. I found out last week there are some [censored] in this league. I guess this comes with the level of competition. I won G1 215 to 210 when my opponent opened the 9th. Then, I started G2 with some bad shots where I missed it at the bottom, ended up with 5 pin leaves and missed the spares. I only had 1 spare and 1 strike in the first 7 frames. My opponent had 230 something. I not only lost my match but lost the game for the team too. I was lost for that game, trying several other balls with no success. I was definitely tight at the end and stressed. I started g3 with 2 strikes after settling down but then my opponent who happens to be a very large aggressive Ahole shouts out, ĎHey are you still tight?í as a means of trying to intimidate me. I viewed this as a very classless act. I ended up at 196, which is better but still lost my point. My team also struggled with the O/U and we only ended up with 9 points out of 25. This is the first time I have ever gotten tight and stressed out from bowling bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to avoid this?

I sympathize with you. I don't have answers, just can sympathize.

Guys like that make me want to drop the ball as they do their approach.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#198268 - 10/05/17 01:53 PM Re: High Pressure Scratch league and lane conditions [Re: BowlerBill]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
There's this guy I bowl against on occasion who makes a lot of smarmy comments. The first time I bowled against him I thought to myself "WTF?!". Eventually I figured out that he thinks he's being funny. I just ignore him now.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs Columbia 300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Blend10 OSW
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#198270 - 10/05/17 05:07 PM Re: High Pressure Scratch league and lane conditions [Re: BowlerBill]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 57/male/newcastle:uk
During warm up I use every ball in the bag, if there's time at least 2 shots. Try and find an inside n outside line so making a ball change part way through a game I've got a reasonable idea of what each will do and where they're reading the lane. Can really throw an A** hole like that off their game, getting inside their line fast

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by Dylan585 - Today at 05:44 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by Dylan585 - Yesterday at 01:10 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 12/10/17 09:29 PM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 12/09/17 10:04 AM
Mental help suggestions
by mmalsed - 12/08/17 12:37 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 12/06/17 06:32 PM
2017 World Championships (Men & Women)
by Richie V. - 12/05/17 04:07 PM
Twister Pins
by Mkirchie - 12/02/17 07:11 AM
Losing our pro-shop guy
by Dennis Michael - 12/01/17 07:16 PM
Storm Match Up Hybrid Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 12/01/17 12:54 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by 6_ball_man - 12/01/17 08:02 AM
by Richie V. - 11/27/17 11:39 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.